You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Final Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Final Visit

 

I was staying at my parent's house in Augusta for Christmas in '05. It was a grand old house that I had grown up in, built around the turn of the 20th century.

My parents are old fashioned and insisted my fiancé and I sleep separately, even though we lived together in Atlanta. Since he is very tall and I am not, I gave him my old room and I slept downstairs on the couch. Even though there were many bedrooms, they had already been occupied by my siblings visiting for the holidays as well.

One of my brothers had his chocolate lab there as well, named Lizard (yes, Lizard), and she was sleeping on another couch facing me. I found it hard to sleep through the night and tossed and turned for most of it. While awake I heard our other family dog, a yellow lab named Hoke, coming down the hallway towards me. I could hear his nails clicking on the wooden floors and his snuffling breathing as he progressed. Then I remembered that Hoke had died months ago. The hairs on the back of my neck raised and I sat up. I looked at the other couch to make sure it wasn't Lizard, but she was sleeping soundly and hadn't moved. I couldn't see around the corner into the hallway from where I was, so I don't know if he was visible or just sounds. After a few seconds the sound of Hoke had dissipated and all was quiet again. I was positive it was him, though: I was familiar with all the noises he made and it was him, and no other dog, ghostly or otherwise.

Maybe he was home for Christmas one last time or maybe a residual memory of him.

Other hauntings by monkeynavigated

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, monkeynavigated, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

echosmithrocks (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-19)
Hello! Could it be that you associate your old home with the sounds of your pet? Cool story nevertheless!
monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-17)
I'm sorry about your puppy, Ceci, but I'm sure she is with you in spirit.
Be well.
Ceci (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
I think that was Hoke too, he came to visit you... And your family.
Find your article is very significative for me in this moment, I was sad this day because my beloved dog Snuky passed away yesterday and it was very hard for me because she were in my life 17 years, since puppy. But at the same time I felt better because I know that she is with me in spirit, I can feel it, and because this day in one moment I saw her walking in the kitchen, in a blurred shape whit her fur color.
monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
Thanks Melda, thanks AugustaM.
I read the story about Peanut and enjoyed it. ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
I believe it was Hoke - my beloved cat Peanut came to visit us after her passing. The capacity of dogs and cats to love is boundless. ❤

My second story is about Peanut's visit - you can find the link on my profile.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
monkeynavigated - Yes Hoke was more than likely paying a visit. Perhaps the presence of so many family members was an incentive for him to do so.

I have seen and heard most of my deceased pets (cats and dogs) after their respective deaths.

Regards, Melda
monkeynavigated (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-12)
Thank you RCRuskin.
Sorry about your puppy, though it was long ago. They can be as hard to lose as people are.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-12)
Either way, a very touching story.

When we had my dog put to sleep, 22 years ago now, I still heard and felt her presence, but I feel it was more just getting used to my puppy not being in the house anymore.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: