You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Freaky Friday The 13th

Real Ghost Stories

Freaky Friday The 13th


I have always been very open to paranormal experiences. I've lived them since I was a young child so I know I can either believe or be in denial. That said, strange things still happen around me to this day, quite literally. My story began Sunday, October 1st. I got a kitten named Binx. The people I got him from kept him outside so he was infested with fleas and God knows what else. It was all taken care of in a few days. He is now flea free. Unfortunately he was taken to the vet yesterday and they found hookworms. Now this is where the real story begins.

I decided to sleep in the living room to avoid the worms (I hate creepy crawly things). Last night, October 12, I was upstairs on the computer and I absolutely could not get the lights to turn on up here (currently writing this on the computer upstairs). There's a light switch by the bottom of the stairs and by the top and both operate the lights. I walked up the stairs and sat down at the computer. I didn't turn the lights on initially. After about an hour of working, I decided to turn them on. I walked over to the light switch at the top of the stairs and flipped it on. Nothing happened. I flipped it a couple more times and still nothing. I thought that was pretty strange but maybe it was a loose wire or something. I walked downstairs and tried that one. Again, nothing happened. I tried that one a couple of times and nothing. I just shrugged and went back upstairs. Maybe someone messed with the chain on the lights and that's why they wouldn't come on. At this point it's probably about 1:30 a.m. And I was too exhausted to worry about it. I just pulled the chain and it didn't work so I improvised a light and forgot about it.

I was really in the zone with my task and suddenly I was just hit with this weird aching sadness. I was crying hard and I had no idea why. I am not an emotional person, so I'm sure everyone can understand my confusion. I was just so upset it was suffocating. I took a moment to lean back and calm down. After about 5 minutes I could finally breathe and stopped crying. I was a little freaked out at this point but I was almost finished with what I was doing so I just sucked it up and dealt with it. When I was done, I went back downstairs and it's like the sadness was instantly gone. The second my feet touched the first floor I felt a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. I went about my nightly routine like I normally would.

Later, I was laying down on the recliner to go to sleep. It was roughly 3 a.m. And if I was exhausted before, I was a zombie by that point. I was almost asleep and I just felt this intense cold touch my leg. Naturally, I shot up. This room is normally fairly warm so there was no way it suddenly got cold. In my mind I was trying to write it off as the a/c cutting on but the a/c points at the opposite side of the room. It wasn't even on at that time. I knew better. I laid back down and I just felt so uncomfortable, like I was being watched. I scrunched up as small as I could and eventually fell asleep. It was a weird night for sure.

I woke up this morning thinking it was all just coincidence or my tired mind playing tricks on me. I was determined to believe I didn't have a paranormal experience on Friday the 13th because it just sounds so cliche. I went about my day as I normally would. Then I thought maybe I should try the upstairs lights again, just for the hell of it. I walked over to the stairs and flipped the switch. The lights. Came. On. I knew I had tried everything but changing the light bulbs last night. I knew they weren't working last night and yet here they are, bright as day. I immediately freaked out. That means it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me this time. I wasn't just being overly paranoid this time. It. Actually. Happened.

I spoke to my mom about it. She said she had been upstairs yesterday night only an hour before me and they had worked just fine. I asked if she'd been up there today, but I knew she hadn't. She'd been at work until about 2 and was in the same room as me since since she got home. So again, I am sitting up here on the computer with the lights on, thinking that maybe my tired mind wasn't as delusional as I'd initially thought. Happy Friday the 13th, everyone.

Other hauntings by brown_eyed_girl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brown_eyed_girl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
7 years ago (2017-10-25)
Hello! First I must know,...Binx, Hocus Pocus? Hehe and second, thanks for sharing. I believe you felt the energy of a spirit. Who, I do not know. Passing spirit, residual maybe. I had a similar experience in a hotel room before. Like you I just started to feel a deep to the core heartache and starting crying uncontrollably. Has anything else ever happened in that house?
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
7 years ago (2017-10-24)

Thanks for sharing your experience! I wonder what that was all about? I have had similar experiences myself.

Years ago my husband worked the 10pm to 6am shift at a prison (which he retired from), anyway one night I was home alone and this eerie feeling came over me. I had gone upstairs to send him a message at work. I was sitting at the computer sending him a message when I had a very uncomfortable feeling come over me... I got up to turn the light on because I was feeling like something was watching me. (There was enough light from the computer and desk lamp but I felt uncomfortable so I turned the light on.) This light switch could be turned on from upstairs and downstairs. Anyway, I turned the light on and about 5 minutes later the light shut off. I got back up and turned it back on and it wouldn't come on! I became very afraid and tried calling my husband because at that point, I thought someone could be in the house. I sat on the bed in the guest room and suddenly the light came back on. That house always gave me the creeps because I would hear knocks on the walls.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: