You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: I Am Christian. What Was This?

Real Ghost Stories

I Am Christian. What Was This?

 

Please approve this. I am a Christian and need help. I am a woman by the way, in college.

I have had sleep paralysis only a handful of times. They have been terrifying experiences but don't last very long. I begin speaking in tongues (something I can't even do in real life) and the spirits scream and go away.

However, today was different. I was sleeping on my side but halfway on my back and kept going in and out of sleep. I could feel the paralysis coming; however, I ignored it because I was enjoying the dream. (A person I am no longer close to was in it.)

Fast forward: I am awake but can't move. However, it felt that I had been drugged (I never felt like this in my prior experiences.) A naked lady and a random man came into my room. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. They proceeded to take out a suitcase and the man said something about cutting my head off. He started doing it and I felt it but the druggy feeling muted the pain. The woman sat on the bed with her back to me.

I was trying to wiggle my toes, anything but I could not. I randomly asked if I could sleep with the woman (I really don't know why I asked this but my logic was that it would give me some sort of feeling to sit up and end the dream).

Some things occurred (editor deletion) but it felt real enough for me to be able to sit up and end the dream.

What was this? And how did it happen? It felt so real but these were not "demons" like my previous experiences these looked like humans. I also did not start praying or speaking in tongues. Help me. Am I in danger?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, helloimhere, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-16)
I am assuming what was edited out was sexual in nature. However should the OP choose to respond I feel it may be pertinent to know (in the broadest most sterile terms) first whether that was the case and second whether the male was acting upon the OP or the female and was this activity received by the OP in a positive or negative way (no detail required). I ask this because it does seem as though some internal angst may have driven the imagery of this experience. It does seem as though the OP is experiencing a good deal of stress in their waking life that is informing their dreams. The main stressor may have absolutely nothing to do with sexuality -it may be the pressure of classes/exams/projects and/or family/friend drama etc. Sexuality could only be serving here as a proxy for stress. It seems quite possible to me that whether or not the OP is questioning their own sexual preferences, the discord between issues of sexuality and the church may be an issue present in the back of the OP's mind. Therefore in the dream state, the mind opted to play out this little drama exploiting that small stressor to blow off steam because it was less psychologically threatening at that time than the big stressors with which it subconsciously feels less able to cope.

There is no need for the OP to actually answer my questions if they feel uncomfortable doing so - just bear it in mind. I am not saying that there is no way any of this could have been in the least way paranormal - stress is a negative emotion and many believe that negative emotions create negative energy that attract and feed negative entities. So it is possible that the OP's imagination could have had a little help but at this point in time I don't necessarily think so.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
DC (abbreviated your name, hope it's ok),

Shanked! 😁 LOL! You're not alone in the dream department, I've had some doozies. I usually check them off as: Boy I must be tired or ticked about something. 😉
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Ditto to Dee. Dreams are weird. I've had dreams about killing people. 😨 Haven't shanked anyone yet so you're probably okay, helloimhere.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Helloimhere,

I'm sure your religious background has nothing to do with this. Sleep paralysis and strange dreams/nightmares happen to many people. Especially if you are fatigued or stressed.

Have you been experiencing any stress? Are you getting enough sleep? It's worth taking a good look at your lifestyle and perhaps visiting a Doctor if you find a problem with sleeping or lack of.

I have had sleep paralysis before, it's not fun. I realized it happens when I'm overtired and/or stressed. I've also spoken in a different language while talking in my sleep (I only speak English). My boyfriend heard it, but was unable to pinpoint the language. It only happened once though, so there is not much to go on. Maybe a fluke? Who knows.

Your account makes me think you were dreaming, maybe coupled with SP. Also there is something called Hypnagogia. It occurs in the light stages of sleep and the person has what are described as hallucinations. It doesn't mean you are crazy though. 😊 It can feel very realistic. I've had it happen many times. It's definitely frightening, but it's not real.

I would also suggest researching Hypnagogia, maybe it will ring a bell for you. Best of luck ❤
DirtCreature (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
I agree, Serenflippity. Even if the OP is not attracted to women, if a religious or cultural belief does not accept or punishes homoerotic or homosoexual/bisexual behavior even people that are heterosexual can develop anxiety about their sexuality which could turn into OCD. The sexual dreams could be an expression of fear of "sinning". It is completely normal to have sexual dreams of all kinds regardless if your sexuality. Dreams are our opinions, feelings, and memories being cycled in our heads. Most dreams have no particular meaning whether they are pleasant or disturbing. Dwelling on them could lead to recurring nightmares. If they are screwing with your psyche, talking with a counselor or trusted confidant would be best. I will abstain from recommending a religious leader for this particular problem just in case the OP does have a religion that punishes sexuality because the person in Authority may reinforce the anxiety.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
I personally feel SP is only a dream state. Things seen during this time are probably part of a dream.

If you see spirits while awake in addition and similar stuff happens awake, then I think there is more to it. Being you are a college student, I think it's just stress. It's probably finals time, right? Take the advice previously and get a medical check up.
Serenflipppity (guest)
+5
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Hello

I find your narrative somewhat disturbing, however, I do try to keep an open mind. That said, I'm curious about a few things.

1 Are you becoming aware of your sexuality or sexual needs but repressing them because of your religious beliefs?

2 Have you perhaps secretly explored the above and discovered you're attracted to females, hence the naked female and you asking if you could make whoopee with her?

3 Taking the above into account ~ have you considered that perhaps these are manifestations of your tortured soul ~ sexual preferences vs religious convictions?

Some things to ponder as you seek for answers and in my experience, at times it's best to try and accept the reality than cloud it with prayer ~ no offence intended.

And while you're perhaps experiencing some self loathing, know that there are real people at YGS who will love you until you learn to love yourself. Hope that makes sense.

Take good care of yourself. God bless. Mazine
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Hi, HelloI'mHere.

Please proceed directly to your university's student health center.

The deleted stuff concerns me, but the stuff that is included also concerns me. It could be demonic in origin, and demons due attack Christians. (In fact, demons especially enjoy attacking Christians, in my experience.)

This strikes me, however, as more medical in origin that spiritual.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Helloimhere,

As lady-glow already said, it is hard to determine if your experience has something of paranormal or if it's just SP.

I wonder if when you speak in tongues you're fully aware of it? I think it's very unusual if you do, for what I came to realise by reading other accounts is that when someone speaks in tongues most of the times they don't recall that moment and only know they did it because someone else was present at the time and witnessed it.
Did someone witness it too in your case?

Please don't get me wrong, but before jumping to any conclusion we should also explore the "mind", and lady-glow once again has a point when she questions about possible feelings of guilt.

God bless. ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
Helloiamhere - I you aren't doing it already, it would be a good idea to keep a journal about these events. It's important to determine if these episodes of sleep paralysis follow a pattern or if they happen at random.

It is common to experience hallucinations during SP and, though it is possible to have paranormal encounters during this asleep/awake stage, it is important to determine if the 'spirits' you see are real entities or if they might be a symbolic manifestation of your fears.

You don't have to answer to this but, are you aware if these episodes pick at certain point during your hormonal cycles? Could this last SP have been a wet dream? If a wet dream, do you think your religion would play a part on the way you feel about it (ashamed, sinful, guilty)?

When you "begin speaking in tongues", do you recognize a formal language or is it just gibberish that you interpret/believe to be a foreign tongue?

In my opinion, there's not enough information in your narrative as to determine if your SP is the product of a paranormal encounter or not, neither to decide if you are in any danger.

Keep on praying and do some research, "knowledge is power".
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
Helloiamhere- I had sleep paralysis myself. I don't understand it. It's like mine comes on when I am usually physically tired. Then the crazy dreams linked in with the paralysis starts, after I finally give in to sleep. I really dislike those issues. I feel vulnerable when the paralysis kicks in. But for you that's another story. I would pray anyways even if they look human. The fact that they were willing to harm you, tells me to worry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: