You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Not My Time Yet?

Real Ghost Stories

Not My Time Yet?

 

I often wonder why spirits 'choose to show themselves' at particular times - ranging from the mundane (my burned pies account, 'Daddy's Chirpies') to possible life-threatening experiences (valkricry's 'Big Brother Is Watching'). Why not all the time; especially in perilous situations? Is it perhaps a matter of 'It's not your time yet'? Whatever the reasons, I am thankful and grateful when I'm the object of their interventions.

29 August 2018

On 22 August, I had cataracts removed from my right eye, resulting in what the doctor assured me is a temporary loss of right peripheral vision - no worries, no pain, except for my slight anxiety to get behind the wheel and drive. Consequently, I decided to take the bus to my closest Home Affairs office to replace my missing identity document. That's where we, South Africans, go to register births, deaths, apply for identity documents and passports etc.

The distance from my home to the bus stop is less than 100m, however, it necessitates me crossing a busy double-carriage road (both ways), separated by a grass-covered median strip lined with trees. I had to board a bus going in the westerly direction.

Even though the office opens at 8am, I left home at 5:50am in order to beat the endless queue that starts snaking its way around the building from 6:30am onwards. It's a short trip; approximately 5km, however, despite adequate street lights, it is still dark and eerily quiet. Winter still has us firmly in its arctic grip here in Cape Town. A bit of information on typical winter weather here - commonly stormy, but we're also blessed with temperate and sunny days. No snow, but icy blasts slam us from the snow-covered mountains around towns further away.

I'm standing on the pavement (sidewalk) checking oncoming traffic (from the right), and when I'd considered it safe to cross, I stepped off the pavement and took my first steps to cross the road when I got yanked back by the strap of my denim duffel-style bag (slung over my left shoulder). I was not close to a pole or any obstruction that my bag might have gotten snagged around it to cause me to physically retreat. I nearly fell on my bum stepping back so violently. I immediately thought 'robber!', however, because my area is notorious for early morning robberies of people on their way to work, I'd been vigilant and kept myself aware of my surroundings and when I recovered from stepping back, I looked all around and there was not a soul in sight, except for two people (female silhouettes) waiting at the bus stop (for the bus going in the easterly direction). So, either it was a super swift robber who managed to scramble between the houses in the fraction of the time it took me to recover, or I'd somehow stepped out on wobbly legs? But the sudden WHOOSH of a car speeding past me, causing my coat to flap around me, set my legs trembling. The driver had failed to switch on the car's lights and it was a dark coloured car. I didn't even see it approaching.

I stood on that pavement for a good minute or two, scared immobile, even though there were several chances for me to cross the road safely - I could not move - until a gentle prod in my back jabbed me to life. I spun around expecting to see someone looking for my attention, but there wasn't a soul in sight. I told myself I'm imagining things now because of the fright from nearly being knocked over.

I stood for several seconds, checking the road for oncoming traffic, straining my eyes to be sure I wouldn't miss another reckless driver when I heard it. "It's safe now".

I can tell you it was a male voice, with a familiar gravelliness to it. I can also tell you that this particular road has seen its fair share of fatal pedestrian accidents - the last being my brother's best friend who died last year while he crossed the road and was was run over by a speeding driver. He died on impact at the spot I had been standing; give or take a few steps. The rest of my short trip was uneventful. Not that anything could 'outshine' someone caring enough to reach out from behind the veil to save my life.

May his spirit rest in peace. He was a sweet soul, and as I'd been told by another YGS member with regards to the personality/character of spirits from beyond - "as in life, so in the afterlife", so it shouldn't be a surprise that he showed up when he did, right. It wasn't my time yet?

Other hauntings by Aporetic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aporetic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Greetings, lady-glow

WOW! Does not begin to explain how I felt reading about that shared experience, and you're so right - when it's your time, it's your time. It makes me wonder though whether that family member had received some sort of premonition about that IV bottle. Why else would she enquire about it? An interesting and eye-opening experience.

Thanks for reading my narrative and taking the time to comment, and sharing one of your own.

Regards
Apo
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Greetings, babygoatpuller

Aaah yes, Bob Marley was a legend. Still is. Pleased you enjoyed reading that quote; it's one of my favourites.

I'm curious about the weird happenings! And I'm so pleased your injuries didn't leave you seriously impaired.

The YGS community is faaaaantastic! I love and appreciate how open and honest folks are. And so knowledgeable about the supernatural.

I was thinking my brother needs a visit from his friend, though perhaps the friend knows my brother might not be able to deal with the experience or dismiss it as a dream.

Thank you for reading and sharing your own experience.

All the best.

Regards
Apo
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
Hi Aporetic - I really enjoyed reading your experience and the interesting thread of comments, it is great to know that someone is always around ready to help when in need.

Your narrative made me think about a case opposite to yours told to me some time ago (more like maaany years ago!), when I was working at a hospital.

One morning I went to take a blood sample from an elderly woman, and the lady accompanying her asked me to check if her mother's IV was properly placed. I checked the patient's arm looking for saline leakage suggesting a punctured vein but couldn't find anything wrong and I informed the woman that everything was fine; to which she answered that what she meant was if the glass bottle containing the saline was secured to the IV stand.
Since this wasn't my expertise, I suggested for her to ask one of the nurses.

Then, the woman proceeded to tell me about some other elderly relative who had undergone a maj
Or abdominal surgery and, against the odds, survived the operation surprising even the doctors that had told the family to be prepared for the worst given the advanced age of the patient and the complexity of the procedure.
All the family members were happy seeing the way their old relative was recovering... But... One day the heavy IV bottle fell off the stand hitting the patient on the head and killing them.

So, I guess, when a person's time hasn't come and they face some adversity, someone or something will always come to their rescue and, when it is someone's time, nothing will buy them even one extra minute.

Thanks for sharing.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
Apo-

Great read! I love the Bob Marley quote. Well, Marley in general but that's a good'n.

This takes me back to '88 when I had just stepped off a curb and was hit by a drunk driver going 60-mph. A LOT of weird things happened during the helicopter ride and in the E.R. It took about 18 months to fully recover but I did and luckily only ended up with deafness in one ear.

The last paragraph on Val's comment really slams it home. I came out of it a changed person. I like to think for the better but something like this really puts things in perspective.

I hope one day your brother will be able to talk about his friend again.

Thanks for sharing and like I said... Great Read! ❤
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-10)
Greetings, BeautInside

Thank you for reading my narrative, and taking the time to leave a comment.

I was humbled by the experience and the realisation that it wasn't my time yet. Life is for the living, with a little help from our 'unseen friends'.

Regards
Apo
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-10)
Greetings, Cups

Thank you for reading and sharing in my experience. Just knowing it wasn't my time yet makes me appreciate every precious living moment more than ever. Perhaps it's time to consider a bucket list?

Regards
Apo
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-10)
Hi Apo,

For me, there's no doubt your brother's friend was there and prevented you from being hit!
That was very brave of you trying to get back to the routine so fast, but also very risky... I'm very happy to know that someone protected you from such disaster. 😊

Take care. ❤
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Excellent read! Thanks for sharing, Aporetic. I have nothing to add to what the other posters have said, just that this was a heartwarming & sweet story. Not your time indeed. ❤
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Greetings, valkricry

Your story touched me when I read it, and I remembered it so clearly after reflecting on my 'wobbly legs' experience, hence the mention - I guess there was a reaason I added it to favourites; unbeknown to me at the time.

I'm in awe of these experiences and I have to confess - I've come a long way from being sceptical to accepting there are forces out there that we don't or will never fully understand, but accept them for what we think they are - guardian angels, hands of God, benevolent spirits. That they don't linger for thanks or 'name and fame', I hope they know we appreciate their presence and often the wisdom they impart. It's like my personal belief and kind of mantra: "Not everyone who enters our lives is meant to stay. Sometimes they visit to teach a lesson or to help us through a difficult patch in our lives." And like Dr Seuss said: "Don't cry because it's over; mmile because it happened."

This is not the first time my life's been saved. I once got dragged into a sort of undercurrent while swimming in a river and got pulled out by a man whom I'd noticed watching us, swimmers, from the riverbank. Was he a man of this world or not? I'll never know. We were camping and I ran back to the tent, barefoot, over thorns - not feeling a single prick in my feet. Perhaps I was carried by unseen hands? All I know for sure is that I'm eternally grateful for the intervention. How else can one explain the outcome of your car accident - even though I don't know much about cars, but I do know a Pontiac is a monster (in size and structure) compared to your compact.

Sometimes saying 'thank you' seems so trite.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Apo - makes one just sort of sit back in awe, doesn't it?
(Thanks for mentioning my account by the way 😊)
I too have wondered about the interventions, as I think of them. I'm fairly sure that nearly everyone has some incident in their life where they later think, "I could have been killed..." I'm sure many would have thought/blamed 'wobbly legs' as in your case, but then you HEARD that voice, which I'm sure sealed the deal for you. Perhaps 'rescues' sometimes go unrecognized as such.
I remember back, before airbags were standard in cars, being in a headlong collision. I was driving a tiny Ford Gremlin (go ahead and laugh, it was just this side of being a beetle VW), the car that struck me was a tank called a Pontiac Bonneville. Back in those days wearing seatbelts was 'optional' (at least in my state). Guess what I wasn't wearing? Long story short, I had to be cut out of my car. My compact was compacted, big time. All I really remember of the impact, was a dark shadow falling over me, and someone screaming'NO!' (Probably me.) I was told that my engine had actually traveled through the firewall, stopping short of being 'in my lap'. There wasn't an explanation for that, or my lack of injuries. Some superficial cuts and assorted bruisings. The other driver didn't fair well at all.
It wasn't until later, when my Mama said that an angel must've been watching over me, that I began to wonder if maybe one had been.
But, why doesn't it happen all the time? Good question. Perhaps you're right, it literally IS a matter of time. Perhaps not time as we understand it, but time. I remember talking with Tweed, that perhaps there's a set of rules, Ghosties and Angels have about intervening. Perhaps part of it deals with 'lessons'.
I know there have been times in my life, where someone having my six would have been more than appreciated, but instead bad things happened. However, I DID survive and came away with new knowledge, mostly about myself, or people in general. Perhaps, quiet intervention is why I lived, or perhaps, there was something I needed to learn - the hard way. Think of that old saying, "Walk a mile in my shoes." When it comes to sympathizing or compassion for another, nothing like having lived the pain yourself to hammer the understanding home.
What ever the reasoning is, like you, I too am thankful.
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Aaah Melda, wish I could vote you up more than once for your comment, but at least I could. Unlike being unable to show my appreciation for others' insightful comments and advice.
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Meldaaaaaaa! Greetings

Thank you so much for that information - I wasn't aware! I only did a temporary ID because I still looked like a one-red-eyed witch LOL. I know Home Affairs have jacked up their service delivery, but I had NO idea they'd progressed that much; it's been years since my last visit, and I'm almost due for a renewal on my drivers license. Thanks again!

Thanks for taking the time to share in my blessing and for your invaluable comment.

Regards
Apo
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Aporetic - What an amazing experience, although I can believe that at the time it was a huge shock. I have heard of a number of similar experiences, as well as from a few members of YGS. You're quite right - it wasn't your time yet.

Are you aware of the fact that you can now do online applications for your ID document and driver's licence? The Department of Home Affairs sets up special areas in certain of the banks for ID documents. All you have to do is book a date and time. I went to Nedbank, spent 15 minutes applying for my ID document and three weeks later spent another 10 minutes at the bank picking it up. I live in Pretoria but I'm sure they must have similar facilities in Cape Town. The procedure for driver's licences is slightly different but you can also book a certain time and avoid the queues.

Thanks for sharing your very interesting experience.

Regards, Melda
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Greetings, Miandra (SWS)

Bob Marley said it best: "You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice." Besides, crossing a busy road is less daunting than driving with impaired vision - even when you know public transport is the pits. Needs must!

The healing process on the eye is slow, but I'm already detecting an improvement.

May his soul rest in peace, Amen.

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to read and comment on this blessed experience.

Regards
Apo
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-09)
Hello Aporetic,

You were very game trying to cross such a busy road not having your full vision back.

Your brothers friend was no doubt looking after you and saved your life, may his soul rest in peace.

I hope your eye is better. Nothing worse than not being able to drive and depend on public transport.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Miandra 😘 ❤ 😘
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-08)
Greetings, Rex-T

You're welcome. That's EXACTLY how I felt. It's such a pity I can't share the experience with my brother - he's a "don't talk crap with me" sceptic and I've seen it's still difficult for him to even talk about his friend. Perhaps when the time feels 'right'?

Thanks for taking the time to share in my experience and commenting.

Regards
Apo
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-08)
Hi Aporetic,

Your experience and quote "as in life, so in the afterlife" got me thinking/reminiscing of my own "near misses" and was it instinct, a Good Samaritan in or not in this world?

All I'm sure of is the cold, paralyzing feeling of shock as realization of what just happened sinks in and sometime later, the warming feeling that someone was looking after me.

Your account got both feelings out of me, well done and thanks.

Rex-T

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: