You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Operation - Coma

Real Ghost Stories

The Operation - Coma

 

I am going to share with you all is a very personal experience and I had only told this to 3-4 very close family members. The first person I shared this with was my Mom nearly 8 years after it happened. This was something that occurred in mid 2009 when I was hospitalized for a fairly small operation.

However, the operation turned into a major one that lasted for hours, as laparoscopy didn't work and my underbelly was slit from one end to the other to carry it out. What I am going to share is what happened post op.

This is going to be a three part story as all are totally different from one another and only connected together because of the operation. The first two are what happened at the hospital. The third happened at my home during recuperation.

After my op, I slipped into a coma within 24 hours with post op complications. This was due to the gross negligence of the nursing staff: they forgot to inject a medicine that was specified in my medical records.

My eyes were closed and my breathing was torturous. But I heard a lot of things in this state.

I remember very well the tearful voice of my Mom asking my Dad why there were so many tubes inserted into me.

I remember my Dad not being able to answer and sighing heavily and helplessly quite frequently.

I remember my very dear Brother stroking my head and assuring me in a voice not at all steady that he was there and I would be all right.

I remember quite clearly "seeing" myself lying in the bed with all the tubes and my brother standing at my side with his hand on my head.

I remember "seeing" my mother in a chair at the corner of the room sobbing uncontrollably with my dad at her side with his right hand on her left shoulder.

Then something strange happened.

All of a sudden, the pain went away. All sounds were abruptly muted and the whole room was filled with an amazing golden light. I remember turning away from the scene below me and look at the golden light that felt so calm, warm yet cool, so enticing, totally enveloping my soul.

And the intensity of this light was coming from just beyond my room's door. It felt like The Glow was calling out to me, I wanted to leave the room and go into the passage to be surrounded by it. It felt like the safest thing that could ever happen to me. I really cannot describe the feelings that went through me and the uncontrollable attraction that I had to "go into that Light".

I turned towards my room's narrow passage and it felt like the intensity of that golden light increased even more (it seems impossible as it was already extremely bright). I felt it calling out to me silently, I felt that unexplainable urge to just go into it, and I even "took a few steps" towards it.

As I was "walking" towards it, I looked at my parents, and the next thing I remember opening my eyes and I was in the hospital bed and that nerve wracking pain was back.

I had been in that coma for 5 days. I did not recover then and there but I will leave that story for a part 2 as I feel even that was a miracle for me.

The reason I am writing this is because we have all seen movies/ TV series, read books where we saw/ read that the departed goes towards the light. And the light is usually described as a bright white. I am curious to know if anyone knows of a Golden Yellow light.

I have thought about it a lot and the scenes do not change. I know I was not hallucinating. What I comprehend is that my time probably came but I made a choice. I guess my earthly bonds just had more pull to keep me here and continue with my tasks and duties than attain eternal happiness.

Other hauntings by Realistic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Realistic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

the22centuryboi (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-08)
Hi Realistic,

I think we all have choice to decide the course of our lives. I have had two near death experiences and the colors of the calming light were different.

The first one was when I had an accident and suffered an head injury. I had lost too much blood. And my parents had difficulty finding blood. That time I believe the light had a silvery tone to it. Shimmering I would say. But it wasn't white, was a mixture of white and grey tones.

The 2nd time was when I fell from the terrace. I went unconscious. And this time it was more like the light protected me. This light was greenish with hues of yellow.

From what I have read, different lights have different qualities. Based on the frequency of vibrating photons, each of the lights serve different purposes. As the masons say 'As above, so below', maybe the various purposes of light are the same above as below.
For eg., they say green light has a cooling effect on your eyes and we all know what blue light does. And don't forget the laser.

Also, a suggestion, please read 'The journey of souls' by Dr. Michael Newton. This book paints a different perspective of the afterlife. I am not telling it is right neither am I discounting it.

Hope I helped you answer some of your questions and hope the book helps answer the rest.

Last but not the least, I like your narrative style of writing. Being a poet and would be novelist, I had to appreciate that.
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-20)
Babygoatpuller,

It's really nice to see a post from you (love your name, BTW!)

It is so reassuring to know that someone had seen and felt the unearthly attraction of the yellow light that surrounded me.

That is an interesting theory about it being the combined love of others who had been in my life. You know, I have always been a fan of Harry Potter books. In the stories, Harry was saved from the evil Voldemort because of a powerful magic: the love of his parents. This light felt the same - like a soul enveloping pure love and assurance.

As for now, I am happy for the many "miles to go before I sleep".

Again, thank you for sharing your experience.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-09-19)
Realistic-

I think I know about the golden light you're speaking of. I saw it and felt it in a dream I had about my mom who passed several years ago. Seeing and feeling that light is like nothing else in the world.

I'm just wondering if it isn't the combined love of the ones in your life that have passed on, that are giving you the reassurance you need at the time to either stay or go. You looking over and seeing the anguish and loss developing in your mother's eyes may have been deciding factor you needed to decide to stay. Kind of blows the "pre-determination or free choice" debate out of the water if that's the case.

In any case, I'm glad you "decided" not to complete the journey in your coma and are here to share with us. 😊
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-17)
Hi CuriousDee,

Thank you for enjoying my story.

I think it was my Mom's anguish that I picked up more than anyone else's emotions. I believe, in that extremely short time, I realized that she would not be able to cope my passing.
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-17)
Hi Gj2005ster,

I believe in Karma and living life with a purpose. And you are not the only one to believe in "something in this universe which can be felt only but not be tested" (very aptly described).
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-17)
Aporetic,

You could be right there. If you read Melda's comments below, even she recovered from her coma.

I still feel that strong attraction that I had to that light. Maybe, in the long run, in-depth research with an open mind, we might find the answers that we are seeking now.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Hi Realistic,

I really enjoyed your account. I don't think the color of the light matters, your experience definitely seems to fall under the NDE Category. Perhaps you were picking up on your family's intense emotions and it caused you to turn back. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
Gj2005ster (9 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Sciene will never going to support this concept of near death experience under spiritual phenomenon thts all I know... It doesn't mean we all need to become superstious but yes there is something in this universe which can be felt only but not be tested
Gj2005ster (9 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
The gayatri mantra is actually dedicated to the source of this pure golden light, perhaps the account of your karma on this earth was unfinished so you got back to your senses, we all here living our lives with purpose
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-16)
Greetings, Realistic

I've never read an account of Golden Light - it's always a white light. This got me thinking - that specific light was there to strengthen you and aid you, not transport you to the other side.

I look forward to reading your upcoming narratives related to this experience.

Go well.

Regards
Apo
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hi BeautInside,

Thank you for your comments. You are right - It really doesn't matter about the color of the Light, but I was just curious about it! 😊

I do believe that one is at a crossroad between the living and the crossovers when experiencing NDE. I also believe, if the physical condition of the person is at a state where one can recover, then the choice is there to stay or to "go towards the Light".

I am saying this is because I wanted to go into the light and I was actually in motion. But the last thing I remember in that state is turning my head towards the left and seeing my Mom sobbing. When I regained consciousness, one of the first thoughts that came to me was how helpless and absolutely devastated my Mom was looking at that time.

Till today I believe this was what I saw that made me come back.

I am going to write the second part this weekend. Once published, I hope you like that too...
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hi Melda,

My family was absolutely devastated at that time.

It is really interesting to know that you had been surrounded by a diffused yellow light during your experience, when you were in a coma.

Quite a few people in my family spanning 4 generations have had near death experiences. Some of them had described in great detail what their family members were doing at the time when it happened. So I believe that when you saw your son, what you saw was real.

I will be publishing the next parts very soon. Hope you enjoy them too...
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hi Realistic,

There are several reports similar to yours. I 6don't know if the color of the light is gold, yelllow or white, but honestely I don't think it makes any difference. I believe them.

For me NDE's are a limbo, you are in between 2 worlds: the living and the dead. Yet, you don't belong to any of them or you belong to both (hope this makes sense).

My uncle had a cardiac arrest about 20 years ago, he was dead for about 3/5 minutes, and he remembers hearing the doctors saying that he was gone, seeing a tunnel and a bright light. Then he opened his eyes and was back.

I guess it wasn't your time as it wasn't my uncle's. 😉

I am very eager to read about your other experiences, please don't keep us waiting. 😊

Thank you for sharing. ❤
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hi Sushantkar,

Thank you for your insights. I really liked your theory about light wavelengths. I agree that these phenomenon can only be decoded by scientific interventions and definitely with a lot of researches.

However, I feel that we are still a long way off from this to happen as Science usually discredits the paranormal. If I ever discuss the Paranormal with a "Man/Woman of Science", I have seen that they go on the warpath to prove that these are all figments of imaginations of the human brains. Then I would be given a huge lecture about the complexities of the brain and why we face these supposed feelings/sightings.

I have faced this before and being an introvert (but not a recluse, I have learnt to keep my mouth shut!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Realistic - I look forward to reading your other experiences related to this one.

I was in a coma a number of years ago for approximately ten days after a back operation as my lungs collapsed.

I was told by the physician that my experiences were due to hallucinations as a result of lack of oxygen to the brain, hypoxia. I believe he was mostly correct except for one experience when I knew that I was in my own home and I was actually watching one of my sons making a sandwich in the kitchen. I tried to talk to him and I remember him looking around the kitchen in a rather confused way and then carried on with what he was doing. I am 99% sure that this actually happened. I seemed to be surrounded by a diffused yellow light.

I do believe that you would at times have been aware of your family being around you during the times that they were there. It must have been an extremely difficult time for them.

Don't keep us waiting too long for the follow-up!

Regards, Melda
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-15)
Hello Realistic, A large number of near-death experiencers have witnessed verifiable events occurring outside of their body. However, like most people, I also have very little knowledge about it.
Although the NDE and its research related information (including it's generals) are extremely impenetrable, these rare events are now being seen in rational ways so that it can be examined in scientific perspective.
However, the other side of the coin connects this phenomenon with spiritual world which adds a whole different aspect of it in front of us which then curve our thinking in contrast to science.

While I was hospitalized in Nov 2014, I experienced such experience (but it wasn't like yours) when I saw my elder brother laying next to my bed in a critical situation in ICU of the same hospital where I was admitted. But it wasn't real. My brother was alright and he was called by the doctors upon my request when I got my scenes back.
People often talk of seeing white light, but if I talk about my own experience, then the place where you are present at the time of your experience holds a lot of importance but I may be wrong also. But why white light, perhaps it contains all wavelengths of light which makes it more visible.

I strongly believe that such phenomenon would only be decoded by the scientific interventions and researches.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: