You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Whispers and Tall Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

Whispers and Tall Shadows

 

In my 30 years of life I have had various encounters with the paranormal. Some of them, however, are truly memorable. One story that comes to mind is the one I will relate to you now.

It was early in the 1990s when we moved into a double-storey block of flats in the mid-city area of Benoni. It was my second year of high school, and my best friend at that time lived in the same block, a floor below us.

It was during the school holidays that my parents decided to visit family in another province, but I just wanted to stay at home and enjoy some time with my friends. After much pleading and assurance that I was big enough to look after myself, my parents spoke with my friend's mom, who agreed to keep an eye on me while they were gone.

This particular encounter happened about four nights after my parents had left, and my friend and I were sitting in my bedroom, chatting about things boys our age usually spoke about. What our conversation was about escapes me, but the topic of the paranormal was not one of the things we discussed.

At about 2am my friend said he felt tired and decided it was time to go home.

I walked him to the front door, where we chatted for a few more minutes before he said goodnight and headed for the staircase. I waited until he reached the flight of stairs before I turned around to enter my flat.

At that moment someone whispered my name in my right ear, clear and sharp.

At first I thought that it was my friend, but as I turned to look I realized that he was already going down the last few steps towards his flat. There was nobody else around.

I started getting a bit frightened, but nevertheless tried to rationalize that this was simply the effects of a tired mind combined with an overactive imagination.

As you enter the flat, looking straight ahead would reveal the living room. To the left of the entrance was the kitchen, while to the right a hallway led to the bedrooms and bathrooms. My room light was the only one on that night, so everything was mostly dark when I stepped back inside.

Almost immediately a feeling of sheer terror gripped me.

I looked straight at the couch against the far wall. I could clearly see a dark shape sitting there. I could not make out any features. It turned its head towards me, then stood up. I immediately realized that it was much taller than any person I had ever seen. Its head touched the ceiling.

An even greater sense of terror came over me at this stage and I ran into my room, banging the door shut behind me.

At this point in time I knew whatever it was was definitely not friendly. It just felt 'wrong'.

There were two slight taps on my door, then about five seconds later there was a loud bang.

Then all was quiet.

I spent the most of the rest of that night sitting on the edge of my bed, rocking back and forth from sheer terror until I eventually drifted off to sleep.

Just for interest sake, it turned out that my friend did not sleep well that night and he said he had really bad dreams as well.

Luckily the 'visitor' of that night never came again, and nothing strange ever happened in that flat afterwards either.

A few weeks later we decided to find out the history of the flats. We were rather disappointed to learn that the flats themselves were less than twenty years old, and that there were definitely no deaths, violent or otherwise, in our flat. Going further back also showed that the area was all just an open field before the flats were built.

And so this all still remains a mystery. It was undoubtedly the scariest experience of my life.

PS. I've made an observation from reading some of the other stories on this site. I wonder why it is that many spirits seem to want to communicate by either whispering in your ear our shouting at you from a few rooms away.

Other hauntings by Hexotericka

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hexotericka, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
Thank you all for the comments, and I apologize for my late reply, but I've been without an internet connection for a few months.

Anyway, as for the old field itself, I recently decided to try and find out a bit more. I still found absolutely nothing.

All I can surmise is that this spirit was just a 'visitor', since it never appeared again, and no other dwellings stood there, at least not since the town's inception.

Once again, thank you for the comments.

Expect to see some more of my tales soon.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
Yeah, it could have tapped asking for help, or it could have been a trick. Never know.

Also, it could have been a natural spirit of the field that was once there.

For what it's worth, I had something whistle LOUDLY and RIGHT in my ear this past October--scared the life blood out of me, quite literally petrified me so that I was too scared to even move.

Thanks for the story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Thank you for sharing your encounter with us.

I agree with a fact pointed out by White Buffalo, just because the field was vacant, that does not mean there had not been activity on the land.

The perception you had of the shadow may have been altered a bit due to the fear and late hour, that being said, I believe you did hear and see something.

It is possible that you being at a young age, home alone for the first time where being tested.
When the 'thing' rapped upon your door and got no response, well... Could be that was enough and 'it' decided to move on.

For reasons why there had and has been no other occurances, I am curious. Is your family religious or spiritual in any way? Had there been prayers or symbols maybe brought back from the trip with your parents? SOmething perhaps could have taken place in the apartment, with your family or in the building for that matter to 'chase' this entity away.
Just thinking out loud.

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
The sound thing with ghosts always amazes me being they don't have a voice box anymore. So it stands to reason that it's done telepathically but we receive it audibly or sometimes within our own heads. It seems they can tap and bang but forming words appears to be harder. You never get a conversation with a ghost, just one word answers that usually come up on a recorder not audibly. I have noticed the one tap for no and two taps for yes scenario used by ghost hunters seems a successful way of communication. When using a ouija board the spelling is usually bad which says to me you may not be dealing with a human spirit but a low level non human one. I don't know what Hex experienced but I believe him that it happened. Imagination could have been the black figure the tapping then bang was definately not. Now I know heating and plumbing can make a range of noises so unless this could be the case I think Hex actually had a supernatural encounter.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
Hexotericka, hi. I wonder why there is only the one experience? It's possible that your imagination simply got the better of you, being left alone and all. I tend to believe this is the case, although I really think this is the way you perceived the events and you are not lying. If this really happened the way you say, then it's very curious as to why it was only the once. I guess you found out that the tall dark form is not necessarily evil, it didn't harm you in any way, just left you alone. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hi Hexotericka. I agree with both whitebuffalo and FRAWIN, however I think what FRAWIN was saying makes a lot of sense. It may have looked the way it did because of the way you perceived it at the time. You were already scared because of the whisper in your ear and then seeing it may have triggered your over active mind. Like FRAWIN said, 'IT' lightly tapped your door a couple of times and then banged on it out of frustration and then left and never came back because 'IT' knew it obviously was not getting anywhere with you. It sounds like a terrifying experience. However, I don't think it was there to harm you really. If it was there to harm you, I don't think the door would have stopped 'IT'. I don't think bad spirits or ghosts have any courtesy at all.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Shelby ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hey Hex. What better way of getting someone`s attention than by hollering at them or if close enough whispering in a ear. Another thing that I have learned is that looks can be deceiving. You saw a big black thing and instantly thought it evil or bad. If it had truly been evil do you think the door to your bedroom could have stopped it? You heard two slight taps on your door -asking permission to enter maybe? Then a loud bang-out of frustration maybe? All I`m saying is it could have been asking for help.
Thanks for an interesting story. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hello Hexotericka,
Open fields do not necessarily mean that the field is "clean" or clear of any form of paranormal activity. There are battle fields all over the world that are just fields, but that the Spirits of wounded or dead soldiers still walk. Perhaps a history of the field would be in order. What was it used for in the past?
I think the reason that some ghosts try to communicate by either whispering in your ear or by yelling from a few rooms over is because they have tried it all before and no one has noticed them yet. I mean, would you pay more attention to someone startling you by whispering or to a pair of missing shoes that you may not want to wear today?
We do not live in the world of Hogwarts, so ghosts have to be a bit creative, and can not just walk up to all of us and say "Hi, could you please help me?"
Just my thoughts, I am sure you will get more, but I hope I helped a bit.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: