You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost In The Laboratory

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In The Laboratory

 

This is the story of my uncle, who worked as a renowned scientist in a prestigious university of Ottawa, Canada. The following narration is what he would tell to all his relatives in India, when he used to visit on regular visits. I do not want to name him since he is, by the grace of God, still going strong and active (though retired) in spite of his advancing years. This incident happened sometime during 1961-62. During this period, my uncle was working as a young researcher in the university in Ottawa, as part of post-doctoral research work, while still being a scientist in one of the government research laboratories in India. Later on he permanently shifted to the university as a scientist and did tremendous work and received numerous awards and world-wide recognition. Being a science graduate and a scientist himself, he never believed in the paranormal and in his own words 'this one incidence changed all that and that there are things in this world which we know nothing about!'

During the time mentioned, my uncle's work required a lot of experimentation in the chemical laboratory attached to the university. Being unmarried and no one to give him company in the quarters, he had a habit of carrying out his experimental work beyond the university hours and spend time late in the night writing notes, research papers, etc. My uncle is a teetotaller to this day and he says he never ever has touched intoxicating drinks or drugs!

One that fateful day, he was at his desk in the laboratory writing notes. Those were the days when fountain pens were only available and an ink bottle was always at hand to refill when required. There was nobody else in the laboratory building at that time of the night and my uncle was the only person working at his desk. While totally engrossed in writing notes on a sheet of paper, with many sheets of research papers as reference, he started feeling that the room had gone cold and he started to shiver. Initially, he attributed this to the extreme cold faced in that part of the world and ignored the signs. Suddenly, he saw all his reference research papers started levitating, moving up and circulating all around the room up until the roof. Funny thing was that the papers on which he was writing remained on the table not even moving a few millimeters! There were no open windows nor fans in that room. The only heater was of the passive type, not giving out any air. Then he saw to his horror, that the ink bottle levitated too and after raising a couple of feet off the table, the cap of the bottle unscrewed itself and the bottle flipped and all the ink in the bottle fell directly on the papers on which he was writing notes. He was not in anyway attacked. Totally scared with this experience, he quietly got up and left the lab in a hurry. From that time onwards, he stopped working late in the laboratory and would leave along with all other staff and fellow-mates. He never mentioned this to any of the university colleagues or professors as he as new from a distant land and a fresher at the university.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Prasad_R, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Prasad_R (guest)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-16)
Thank you Haven for your comments. In the name of science, we tend to negate many things in life, including the afterlife and the paranormal. 'Seeing is believing' is not always the right approach as what one sees is not seen by all else.
Thanks again
Prasad_R (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-16)
Thank you Cuddlebear for your comments. My uncle was young, from a developing country, in an alien land and an alien language! Above all else, he had just started his work in Canada and wanted to do good, which he did eventually. Thanks again for your comments
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-11)
Hi, Prasad_R -

Thank you for sharing your uncle's experience. I agree with Cuddlebear, reporting this to his co-workers would of done more harm than good. Scientists are ever the skeptics and would require proof your uncle would not have been able to give.

Regards.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-11)
I can certainly sympathize with your uncle. Such an unprovable report would certainly result in ridicule and professional repercussions, possible to the point of ending a fledgling career.

It may not seem fair, but it is true, and I think rightly so, that extreme claims require extreme proofs.
Prasad_R (guest)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-10)
Thank you lady-glow for your comments.

My uncle did not discuss issue with others as French was the prevalent language there and he had no knowledge of that to interact freely with others. The other issue was that being from a developing world and working in a technically advanced country, he was very careful not to say things which might harm his academic interests.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-10)
That would make a believer out of the most skeptic scientist!
It's a pity that your uncle didn't ask questions to the other workers, perhaps someone else would have benefited from hearing his experience.

I guess whatever was there got tired of your uncle invading 'its' space.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: