You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Banshee

Real Ghost Stories

The Banshee

 

Let me explain what a Banshee is. The banshee is a predictor of death. If someone is about to enter a situation where it is unlikely they will come out of alive she will warn people by screaming or wailing, giving rise to a banshee also being known as a wailing woman.

I live in Canada, and back when my parents had to leave me (I'm the only child) to attend a wedding for 4 days, I was okay with it and since I was teen, I had to live on on my own.

Later at night, I slept and around 11:40, I heard a knock on the kitchen window. I went over to check it. I found an old woman who had red hair staring at me. She spoke in a low and sensitive voice, "open the door, I'm hurt. I need help" I refused to open the door. She shouted "WHAT KIND OF FCKING WOMAN ARE YOU!?" I went to my room (which is downstairs) only to find that she was behind my room curtains. I screamed for help, but I guess no one could hear me. She shouted "YOU LITTLE BICH, YOU THINK YOU COULD GET AWAY?!" I grabbed my phone and dialed the police. The police arrived at about 11:50.

The next day, I had a call from my best friend, Sebastian. And he told me that my classmate (also a very good friend of mine) had passed away. I searched the net for further details about a banshee and and all I got to know is that the wailing or keening of a Banshee is a warning that someone close is going to die. I have no words of how terrifying it was. I told my parents about it and they tried to calm me down. I'm grateful I never saw that ugly thing again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Iman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Samasnasir (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
That's not a banshee.
A banshee is a ghostly figure. You met a real person. How is that supernatural? Scary yes, haunted no.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-09-23)
Huh... What?!?!

Iman - though I'm glad that the woman wasn't a banshee, I find it shocking that you would submit this experience to a PARANORMAL site meant for REAL ghost experiences. πŸ€”

There's a difference between a scary event and a paranormal one, isn't it? πŸ™„
Iman (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-09-22)
RCRuskin The police found the lady hiding behind the trees and arrested her, one of the policemen called my dad and told him to come back here asap.
freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-20)
That was an impaired person that one of your neighbors let into their house before the police arrived... I think. πŸ˜‰ πŸ€” 😁
bandet888 (86 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-13)
Hello Iman. You left out one detail. What happened with the woman when the police arrived?
elt (1 stories) (21 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-07-10)
Sounds like a very violent banshee I thought they were supposed to warn of death not cause it. πŸ˜• πŸ€” ❀
L_Melb (220 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-09)
I may be wrong but apart from never hearing of such an "interactive" banshee, I thought they were usually associated with particular families and isn't an awful cry/howl usually obligatory?. Sorry if I'm repeating others as I haven't read the comments yet. Not really sure what to say but I know what I'm thinking... 😢
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-09)
I am inclined to agree with you, Zaruje, about the original author not participating in the discussion. This story, and a few other recent posts, seem to be submissions from trolls rather than actual experiences of the sort we come here to read and discuss.
Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-07-09)
In most variations of the banshee legend, they are wailing and the washing bloodstained clothes of people about to die in the woods. I haven't heard of them entering houses either. I agree with everyone else - it probably isn't a banshee. But I have 2 theories though - if it was a spirit it might have been a murdered woman who tried to get help but no one helped her and the death the next day was a coincidence. My second is it is some other sort of entity warning of death. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
Like most of you, I have my doubts if this woman was indeed a banshee. According to many dusty old tombs of lore, the banshee is best known for her wailing or keening. It's said this cry can be heard for miles, and quite chilling to hear. Some narratives described glass windows breaking when the high notes of the plaintive cry were struck.
As for speaking, there are a few accounts where the banshee has spoken out to tell who would die and how, but not in one is there mention of them being violent or even mischievous. And the lady in this story seems quite vocal and unhinged.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
I think the author won't participate in this discussion. Are banshees suppose to be rude? Maybe it was an actual human being you've encountered. Anyways, who knows.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
[Ha! πŸ˜† RC, that's priceless. With Iman here explaining what a Banshee is and -Hana- explaining who can see ghosts (Lady In The Mall), there must have been some sort early rush for the full moon on June 16.]

Greetings, Iman,

All Celtic peoples of the British Isles have similar legends on this point: the Irish Banshee, the Scottish Nigheag na h-Γ th, and (as I discovered while looking up the spelling of the Scottish one) the Welsh Cyhyraeth. While it is possible to sneak up on *one* of the Scottish ones (there are several different types) to discover one's fate, the Irish Banshee is a creature of Wild Magic (as in Nature, not Chaos). They are fleeting & ethereal; terrifying in their lack of physical substance and their predictions of death. My Irish mythology references are at school, so I can't verify this immediately, but I can't recall any description of Banshees interacting with ordinary human beings in the familiar legends. Speaking to other supernatural creatures, yes; to ordinary people, no.

The Banshee's distant wailing and keening is described as "bone-chilling" in several accounts. There are descendants of the great Irish & Scottish families who have claimed to hear their respective families' Banshees in both Canada and the United States. Again, though, in the distance or around the perimeter of the family property, *not* banging on the windows or doors.

The woman you encountered sounds terrifying, I grant you. I, too, would have called the police out of concern for my welfare. (Did she shout at you in an Irish accent?) Calling the emergency services because she claimed "I'm hurt. I need help" was the ONLY smart option for you to take, and I fully support your having done the right thing; however, I'm still having trouble seeing how this was a supernatural interaction, rather than a terrifying person who may have been 1) mentally unbalanced, 2) drunk, 3) genuinely injured, or 4) attempting to gain entry into your home through deceit.

If there are some apparently-minor details that you have left out of your initial story, I'd like to know what they were. Here on YGS, we try to apply logic & common sense first, to rule out unsettling but natural events. After we clear that hurdle, intuition, guesses, and investigative conversations take place. We do this habitually, and I know that at least one of my experiences was far less traumatic after one of the Moderators asked me a perfectly sensible and straightforward question.

I look forward to your responses to the questions RC, lady-glow, & I have about this event.

Thanks,
Biblio.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
I almost said the same thing, Lady Glow:) Where was the wailing? I've heard of a banshee's curse, but not a cursing banshee before.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
That woman was too interactive and rude for a banshee.

I second RCRuskin's question about the police findings.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-08)
Hello, Iman. I hope you're doing well after this experience.

So many questions, but I'll start with this one: What did the police find when they arrived?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: