You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Banshee And Other Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

Banshee And Other Encounters

 

So all my life I have been a little sensitive. Feeling vibes in certain rooms, getting that "Gut" feeling about something. Even having dejavu occurring a lot. Just a lot of different experiences. The one thing I remember clearly as a child is hearing my name, as clear as day, usually followed by asking my mom why she was calling me (since the voice sounded female) only to have her tell me she didn't call my name. But the other day my dad asked me a weird question. He asked me if I still had the dreams like I used to. I asked him what he meant.

Apparently when I was younger, I constantly had dreams about my past relatives most of whom I never even met. I was able to even send along messages from my grandparents to my parents for instance, and give pieces of information about them that no one ever told me about. My father then also told me for a short while he would hear me in my room talking to someone, and when he walked in and asked who I was talking to I would say Grandma! Like it was completely normal. I don't know why I don't remember a lot of this (I remember bits and pieces) but I think it's because my mother in particular doesn't enjoy that type of talk and actually had me refrain from it. My father however seemed to be more supportive, him believing and such. He was interested if I had those dreams to see if I had any messages.

What this all boils down to is I am wondering if it is possible for my family to have some type of spiritual abilities? It goes down as far as my great grandmother on my mothers side. My mom finally told me about her horrifying account of a banshee and other things that have happened to her throughout her life, which is probably why she wasn't happy when her daughter started to experience the same thing.

See, every woman in my family has experienced the "Cry of the banshee" except me. Apparently there is an awful howling that just radiates through the entire house, and even outside that is so loud and terrifying it makes you want to flee. It's supposed to be the banshee howling over someone's soon to be demise from what she told me. My great grandmother, grandmother, and mother have all experienced it at some point in their life. When my mother experienced hers, she was home alone at the time, and she said it was almost like a horrible wolf howling and it was so loud and in any room of the house it seemed to follow you. She told me how she went throughout the house, the basement, even outside to try and find where it was coming from. Finally after an hour or so, right before my grandmother came home, it stopped. My mom waited outside for her, terrified, and explained to my grandma what happened. My grandmother was very calm about the whole situation, and explained to her how our family is "cursed" with the cry of the banshee. A few days later my great grandmother died.

Another thing that happened to her was kind of an omen. A few days before my grandfather died, my grandmother and mother were in the kitchen, and my mom happened to look out the window and saw their entire yard filled with crows. From what she told me there wasn't an inch that wasn't covered by crows, and this was in late December mind you. A day or so later, right before Christmas my grandfather died of a sudden heart attack.

I haven't yet heard this cry or seen any omens such as this, but needless to say, a lot of things have happened in my life. Not too long ago I was in my boyfriends house (some paranormal stuff has gone down there too, I have a previous story about that) and I walked out into the hallway and seen a bird just sitting on the crown molding of the top floor hallway. I of course went to go investigate, calling my boyfriend to come help get it out of the house, and we both saw it fly into a room we use for storage. It went behind an old dresser we don't use, and I went to try and get it out so we can get it back outside and it seriously vanished. There was no trace whatsoever of this bird. I even turned and asked my boyfriend to see if it possibly flew out of the room or anything and he was as stunned as I was. Then after we proceeded to go through the house, none of the doors or windows in the house were open. It was winter so windows being open would have been ridiculous.

Then we went downstairs and asked if anyone had seen a bird or anything because it was a little odd it was only on the second floor, and no one had seen anything (a wild bird would be kind of hard to miss). The thing is too when I seen it, it was like I was compelled to look where it was. I mean how often do I exit the bedroom, and look up across the hallway at the crown molding? The only ting I can match this to is it was when I was going through a rather difficult time in my life, and I took it as either it was a sign for things to get better, or worse given my families previous history with birds.

I haven't had a dream of someone contacting me since my grandmother passed. It was the most comforting thing I remember at that time. She came to me the day she died and told me not to cry for her, that she was in a better place, and she doesn't want me being upset. When I finally told my mom about this a few years later, she told me that while she was still grieving, and was alone in the house, she heard my grandmothers voice call her name as clear as a bell. My mom took it as a sign of her trying to comfort her.

I've had a lot of little thing such as the feelings and vibes, etc. Of walking into a house or a room, but not much else.

I'm just trying to figure out is it possible for the women on my mothers side of the family to be sensitive to something or possibly has something following us? Her side is solely of Irish and Ukrainian descent. If anyone has any insight as to what is going on, if someone even has a similar experience, please share with me. I've been dying to know for years if it's possible were all a little sensitive or something.

Other hauntings by rockergurl227

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rockergurl227, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Roosta (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-04)
All the women in my family have it. Some of them can't handle it though so they block it out but some of the younger ones have accepted it as a gift. They have told me some beautiful things. Messages from friends that have passed who they have never met. Its a wonderful gift.
rockergurl227 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
This is making me want to dig into my family tree on my moms side a lot more. I know all of my great grandparents and my grandfather all came directly from another country. Since my grandmothers side was all Irish until she met my Ukrainian grandfather it really makes me wonder if I can figure out if were one of the families the banshee is said to follow
Leslie81 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
I too have heard a banshee before. Yes they are quite loud. But I never thought of it as scary though. Just annoying. I want to yell "Quiet!" Lol. But people who can't hear or who can hear but are unaware of what it is would think i'd lost my marbles. Takes a bit to really scare me though. Anyway i've heard that they are guardians to certain Celtic families.
livinit2 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
rockergurl227: I'm still pretty young but my dad said when I was little I would sit in my room for hours talking to someone and when he asked who it was I would say Grandma! That's no joke 😆 People say children can see spirits better then anyone. I never got to meet my grandma, but I guess I did when I was little.
miranda_elaine (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
hthis should help I read it and it seems to make sene considering your story.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee
rockergurl227 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Thanks Mimissa and swimsinfire it's nice to know that I am not alone out there. I definitely want to try and open myself more to everything since I've tried to shut it out for so many years out of fear of ridicule from my Mother, when in fact, it runs in the family. I'll have to try meditating. I used to meditate with crystals and center the crystals with my chakras and it helped not only relax me but made me feel tuned in to my abilities. Like I could feel the crystals opening my chakras. Mimissa I might take you up on your suggestion about the spirit in my boyfriends house since things are still going on but we have learned to ignore it and don't think it's malicious. I think it's a female, and that she just might be lonely. Thanks again both of you for everything:)
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Yeah, it usually runs in families. Gives you a support group that way. My mother had "the sight" really intensly. Always accurate. It drove her crazy. All my brothers and sisters have it. I have it, only so as not to go nuts like my mother I made mental rules like, so it's not all the time. My son has it a lot due to his autism. It's a gift, so you want to put aside time every day to meditate or seek your higher power as you understand it. That helps. It's good to keep talking to your family. Good luck.
mimissa (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
hi rockergurl227 😊 I also have had paranormal experiences similar to yours. I get those gut feelings when I enter a room, it's usually when there is a spirit I can feel it and I get this weird feeling in my stomach. I also dream things and then it happens. I wouldn't call them deja vu because I remember my dream and I tell my mom, "mom I dreamed that... So be careful today or tomorrow". Also when I touch someone I can see either there past or future (depends what it wants to show me). Once (summer of 2011) I said hi to my aunt and I felt that she was going to pass away the summer of 2012 and in august of 2012 she did pass. Also when it's night and i'm trying to fall asleep I can hear them talk to me and times they even cry. My grandfather (that has passed away) when I had my eyes close he spoke to me (for some reason I can only speak to them when my eyes are closed, i'm not sure why though) . I got this from my grandfather but in my family it skips a generation so my grandchild should get it. I love it, it's a cool feeling because not many people have what we have and if you develop it, who knows what you'll be able to do. Also I think we get this... I guess you can call it some sort of paranormal "power" to help other's and also to help spirits. I read your other story with your boyfriend and his house and the spirit. Why don't you try just sitting on his bed, close your eyes and speak to it kindly. Like for example (hi, my name is... I'm not here to hurt you, I just want to talk to you) and see what you get. You might not hear anything at first but if you keep trying maybe if it wants to talk it'll talk (but always if your not afraid). Just remember one thing don't be mean to them because they can be dangerous but also don't let them walk all over you so at times you have to be strong, because they can feel when your scared and the'll use it against you, so stay strong when dealing with these things. I hope I helped you in some way and if you need any advice just ask 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: