You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunting In Drakensberg

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting In Drakensberg

 

In September of 2010, I went on a group tour in South Africa. There were about 20 people in our group, from all over the world. Our guide was a local man with many years of experience. About a week into our trip, we were arriving at Drakensberg, a beautiful mountainous area. We were staying on a privately owned domain, which used to be a farm many years before. The main building consisted of a kitchen, a large dining room and a bar/lounge area. The bedrooms were in separate little huts which were set away from the main building.

Before we even arrived there, our guide got anxious, saying he didn't like going there because the place was haunted. A few people started making fun of him, but since I do believe in ghosts I was curious to see if we would experience something. After we got there we got some free time, most of us sitting in the lounge area reading. Our guide told several of his experiences, most of which I honestly don't remember. But it was clear that he was very nervous.

After we all had dinner together in the dining room, our guide stood up along the wall facing us all to tell us what we were going to be doing the next day. The wall was about 6-7 meters long and had all sorts of old farming tools mounted on it. He had his back towards the wall, facing us, and was explaining the next day, when we could see 2 tools on the wall suddenly started swinging. One was to his left and one was to his right. He was oblivious to it, I guess they were outside of his peripheral vision. We just looked on, kind of in shock, as those tools started swinging even faster. Suddenly one of them stopped completely, and the other one was thrown from the wall. It landed about 2 meters away from the wall, scaring the guide so much that he just ran outside screaming and refused to come back in for the rest of the evening.

I always try to look for a logical explanation, but I couldn't figure out why only 2 tools would start swinging. There was no draft, the windows and doors were closed since it was the end of winter, and we were up high in the mountains so it was cold at night.

One tool stopping suddenly: if something is in motion and the motion stops, the swinging would gradually get less, not stop dead cold in just one second.

The other tool falling off: something falling off a hook would fall straight down, not be catapulted 2 meters away.

Needless to say, walking to my little hut in the dark was a bit nerve wracking, and it took me a while to fall asleep. We stayed at that place for 2 nights, but nothing happened after that experience.

Other hauntings by crazypaws

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, crazypaws, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

crazypaws (3 stories) (4 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-24)
Hi Taintedprincess, you're more than welcome to share my story:)
Taintedprincess (20 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-09-13)
Hi there! What a great story, I have heard plenty of stories from that area. I am from South Africa as well, I have just started my new paranormal podcast and was wondering if I could share your story?
Regards taintedprincess
crazypaws (3 stories) (4 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-07)
Hi Letchen, thanks for your feedback. I was surprised at how freely our guide spoke of the hauntings. I remember the people working the bar there were quite open about it as well. I kind of wish I had had more time in the area to maybe have more experiences.
Letchen (1 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-07-06)
Hi Crazypaws. Thanks for your interesting account. They may not admit it yet many South African people have some really strange beliefs. Your guide was not lying when he spoke of hauntings in the area. Witchcraft is widely practiced. I actually worked with a lady who proudly stated that she had just qualified as "a witch". There is also a river that runs in that area. Certain people will not dare enter that river as they believe spirits of the dead stay in the water and once in, you do not come out. Strange but true.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: