You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow People?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow People?

 

Before I begin I want to elaborate a bit on myself so you may see my story objectively and not stigmatize my previous experiences that led me there.

In 2016, when I was 16 years of age, I had been hospitalized for overworking myself in school. I was part of the AP U.S. History class in which we were competing with other specialized high schools in New York City. I was also treasurer of the National Honor Society, I was on Yearbook Committee, the head of a student organized monthly talent show, and I was secretary of student government.

I was merely a junior in high school trying to apply into a college that would assist me in pursuing the premed track. Therefore, I was pushing myself beyond my own limitations to which I got very depressed and burnt out.

I was hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital (which is not an "asylum"). Ultimately you get to go to a school in the hospital, then group therapy, meet with doctors, pet therapy, talk with peers your age and then leave back to your normal life or partial program where you do the same thing except you get to go back home at the end of the day.

When I was discharged from the psychiatric hospital after two weeks, they sent me to a partial hospitalization program. I have had a history of major depressive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. The symptoms were usually just getting very anxious and crying, but keep in mind I had always been very level headed throughout my life.

I told the doctors there that I couldn't stop having nightmares and had too much anxiety to sleep. They prescribed me a few sleeping medications but they didn't really work. Then they tried a medication called Ambien.

If you look at the side-effects, hallucinations is a very big one. I remember seeing my parents being zoomed in and then extremely far away within seconds.

My mother was with me, as well as my grandfather, trying to get me to drink water to hopefully flush the medication out of my system.

We had the lights on and the TV as well at the time but then I saw figures I'll never be able to forget. They weren't scary but very strange.

They were shadow people or shadow children? They were somewhere in between if I remember correctly. They had blue and yellow glowing eyes. One was waving to me and the other was trying to hand me what I believed to be books, but I could be wrong. There were two in particular from what I could remember, just sitting on top of my furniture almost touching the ceiling. They seemed more friendly than "evil". They were also two-dimensional beings.

Their eyes were the size of baseballs and they had small heads, or maybe it was the size of their eyes that made their heads look small. I was not scared at all. But when I told other people about it they seemed as if they would be frightened.

I looked into it later to then find that the term "shadow people" I thought I had coined for them was already put into existence. There were websites, forums, etc just talking about the shadow people and who they are.

From what I felt, even though I was hallucinating because of the drug, I don't feel they are evil beings. I am not sure whether they are spirits or of another dimension.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Julielion1173, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Welcome2myfreakyfreakshow (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-07)
I believe there is more to hallucinations other than just imagination. I believe you could have been connecting with another dimension. There is so much we don't know about the "physical" aspects of life, let alone the non physical.

Even though I've never heard of someone not being freaked out or feeling uneasy by a shadow person, it makes sense that in every part of the universe,that, where there is bad/negative there must be good/positive as well. Very interesting.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-17)
Many cultures use drugs of various stripes to render them in closer contact with the spirit world. Who is to say that hallucinations born of modern science couldn't have the same effect? Especially a drug designed to put you to sleep, a state in which many believe it is easier for the paranormal to get through to you.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-12-11)
Thank you Caz!

After the episode that I had with the neighbors, I was shy around them until I moved into my own apartment at the end of that year.

I am just thankful that I had shoes on and my regular clothes. It would have been worse if I had been wearing pajamas.

- Maria ❤ ❤ ❤
Caz (342 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-11)
OOPS! Just noticed my spelling mistake Lealeigh! I must've hit the wrong key. DOH!
Caz (342 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-11)
Very inteesting comment Lealeigh! I'm having to tell you this, because I'm still not being allowed to vote you up! Arrrrgh! 🙄
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-11)
Interesting. I'm not sure if it was a hallucination or the medication caused you to tune into the paranormal. Do you see things while not on the medication?

My husband took Ambien for awhile due to a sleeping disorder while we were living in an actively haunted home. In his case, I don't think he noticed any of the paranormal stuff going on while he was taking it. It turned him out. But, I will say his behaviors during that time period were really out of his character. He no longer takes it. I'm sure it helps people but you just don't know how some things will effect you.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-12-11)
Hello Julielion,

First of all, I would like to tell you that I am very sorry that you had to go through such problems when all you were trying to do was make use of your motivation.

I am 38 now but in 2004, when I was 23, I also used to take Ambien. It was very helpful to me if I made sure to be in the bed, actively trying to sleep, after I took the medication.

There were a few episodes when I would take it and continue to sit on the couch, watching television. The first weird episode that I was ever told about (I had no recollection) was by my next door neighbors. They said that, at about 11:30 pm, I walked into their house and started eating grapes out of their refrigerator. They didn't say anything to me and I only ate a few before I turned around and left. They said that I closed the door behind me.

Another time, I sat on the couch for hours; downloading dozens of stupid ringtones on my phone, which I had to pay for later. I don't remember doing that either.

My question for you is: after you took your medication, were you trying to go to sleep or were you just hanging around in your house, waiting to feel tired?

I learned very quickly, that with Ambien, I needed to be lying down in my bed by at least thirty minutes after I had taken it because I was going "offline" in thirty minutes regardless of my circumstances.

Another example that I have comes courtesy of my mother. She took one of my Ambiens one evening; she didn't try to sleep. She fought the effects of the medication and the effect of this was: she rearranged the kitchen items until dawn while in full conversation with more than one invisible person.

I watched it happening until I went to sleep; after she said something, she waited for a moment as if she were listening to an answer. She did remember talking to "some nice people who helped rearrange the kitchen" when I asked her about it the next day.

I hope that this is helpful to you in some way. I don't know if I can advise to you about the veracity of what you have seen, one way or the other. I can advise you on the effects of Ambien.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope very much that you are doing well with your studies and with your health!

- Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: