You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Strange House

Real Ghost Stories

Our Strange House

 

In my first post I briefly mentioned how my family has a history of weird happenings. When I was younger these were all confined to my father's side of the family. I don't see him anymore but both me and my mother are still close to his mother, my grandmother.

Grandma would have frequently kept me entertained with tales of our family's haunted past. I never took them seriously but still enjoyed listening. My mother never really approved of these stories but also didn't see the harm in what she believed were either tall tales or stories with simple explanations. To her credit, mom was always able to offer an explanation to any story I relayed from grandma.

We moved into our current house about five years ago and this was when I started encountering some weird stuff.

The house was a big project for my mom and one I remember she was very excited about. She had bought it at auction with a view to renovating it fully. The house was in such bad shape it was a few months after purchase before it was even habitable for us. When we moved in, work was still ongoing. I have no idea of the history of the house other than it's old. My grandma remembers a family living there when she was a teenager so that gives some idea just how long it's been in the neighbourhood.

A few days after we moved in I began hearing footsteps at night. The floor of the landings on the first are second floor are old wood and creak with the slightest bit of pressure. To my ears, the sound was unmistakable, like someone was walking across the halls with heavy shoes. Each time I checked there was nothing there.

At first my mom wrote it off as simply the sounds an old house makes and then as my overactive imagination fuelled by grandma's stories. She wasn't cruel about it and never said she didn't believe me but she has always been a sceptic, even after the incident on the road that I wrote about in my first story.

The footsteps were never constant. Within a few weeks they had stopped almost altogether.

A couple of months later, I think in March or April, I was in my bedroom and I heard a door slamming downstairs. My mom shouted up to me, warning me about being gentle with the doors and I had to tell her I was upstairs and nowhere near the door that had somehow slammed shut on its own. The house is old but by then had proper insulation so it would not have been draughty enough for a breeze to slam it shut and there was no wind outside.

Around this time I started hearing the footsteps again. One night I believe I saw a figure dressed in grey flash past my room. As with the footsteps I couldn't find the owner despite going immediately into the hall. Over a number of months when I was sitting with my mom, I thought I could see someone out of the corner of my eye looking in her direction. The figure would be there for a split second and then be gone when I turned my head.

Things like this have happened on and off since we moved in. My mom has often experienced things without noticing them or writing them off as something innocent, including being tapped on the shoulder while in the kitchen despite being home alone or thinking that she heard someone whisper from behind her or breathe on her neck. On at least two occasions she has taken off her watch, a large gold Michael Kors, only to find it has been moved to another room when she went to put it back on.

The attic in the house is somewhere I never go. Although I have never thought that anything in the house would do me harm, the attic creeps me out. It has a heavy feeling to it. There is a lot of cool stuff up there though. Old furniture that the previous owner left behind and we kept. My mom loves it and has restored some of it.

Her latest project was an old dressing table and after a lot of prodding I agreed to help her move it downstairs. It was a normal winter day. Cold outside but our house is always warm. Even so, there was a notable temperature drop as soon as we walked into the attic.

Mom went over to the table and put both hands on it. She gasped as soon as she touched it and both her hands seemed to jump away from the table as if pushed. Before I could do anything she had somehow been knocked to the ground. She didn't move and her eyes were closed. It took me a few seconds to realize she had fainted.

She came to within a few seconds, maybe twenty, although it felt like longer. She remembers touching the table and then waking up with me looking over her. She was very embarrassed and explained that she must have fainted. I accepted this and it's only now after posting my other story that I'm thinking there's more to it. The way she seemed to get shoved away from the table as if someone had pushed her was unnatural.

As with everything in the house, mom sees the simple explanation; that she had simply fainted.

As with the incident on the road, her watch had also stopped but I guess that could be explained by her fall.

Other hauntings by DanielG

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DanielG, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-20)
Hello DanielG, that was a nice narrative. Thanks for sharing. But, as lealeigh said, when you renovate a house, sometimes, there is a possibility of waking up some of the spirits. But, what I found from your narrative was nothing negative. But, still it is for you and your mother to say that. What was your gut feeling in the first instance? Whether you thought it was a negative energy? But, whatever you narrated, never had any negative effects except touching your Mom when she was in kitchen. I feel that something wanted to draw your attention. You can respectfully tell the spirit/s that you acknowledge the presence and that you do not want either you or your mother to be startled or disturbed.

But, if you feel that it is a negative energy, why don't you use the Cleansing method devised by Rook, one of the experienced posters in this site. I have suggested to many including those who haven't been in this site. It has definitely worked for me as well as to others. You can make use of it to ward-off any negative energies.

Kindly do respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
GreenWitch, thank you for clearing up my dealer/healer question and the phone number.
GreenWitchx3 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
Hi miracles, I meant spiritual healer. The number that I gave is not my personal number, it is the number I use for tarot, rune and pendelum readings, for anything regarding the spirits basically, cleansing, healing... Almost everything but I understand and will not five it out again.
I've studied since I was a child, my mother and grandmother were both priestess and healers in the voodoo/hoodoo religion. I have studied hoodoo but am more of an eclectic practitioner, but I hear stuff similar to this quiet often and would love to speak with her. I have a few questions about the activity and would love to help him/her. Its important for the author of this to know I'm no devil worshipper, and if he is comfortable I would be able to help or guide in the right direction. If catholic or christian, I also can guide you through the proper channels to bless and cleanse the house in accordance with christ, if that is your religion. Not just pagan healing rituals.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
GreenWitchx3, I meant to ask this question of you before I posted my previous comment. What is a spiritual dealer?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
GreenWitchx3, we strongly discourage giving out personal information such as addresses and phone numbers. You may not be a nut but that doesn't mean there isn't one on our site.

DanielG, of course you are free to take GreenWitch up on her offer and discuss what is going on in your home. I am assuming, however, that your home belongs to your mom not you, so before doing anything like that, you should consult with her. There are also cleansings that are free. After consulting with your mom, if she thinks this is something that needs to be done, or she would like to look into, we can provide you with one from one of our long-standing members that others have used, including me.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-13)
Hello GreenWitchx3,

You said:

"Blessed be sister"

That is nice; but I believe that Daniel is a man's name. Posting your phone number, for anyone under the sun to pick up, was another great move on your part.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-13)
GreenWitchx3 - Please post some of your experiences. It seems that you have much to share.

Regards, Melda
GreenWitchx3 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-1
4 years ago (2020-03-13)
Hello, I am a priestess and spiritual dealer and what you have sounds like negative residual energy although the shove when you mom touched the table wouldn't fall perfectly inline with that so possibly both strong residual energy and an intelligent energy or spirit. The reason that the upstairs is so strong and oppressive is because old furniture was most likely an everyday part of the houses past. A place where people would spend a lot of time, most likely negative time. You need to cleanse this house asap, probably do it once a month after an initial cleanse... A few ways we can do that, which are not terribly difficult nor expensive. I would love to speak with you, I have a lot of experience with the spirits and strange activities.
Blessed be sister. If you are comfortable and would like some guidance, reach me on here or by email; vanessamarienixon [at] gmail.com
Or text 959-210-8037
I promise I'm not some nut lol
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
In my last comment I said:

"I believe it was anxiety that triggered it."

By that, I was speaking of the reason for my own case of "fainting". I did not mean to imply that your mother was suffering from anxiety at the time she fainted.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
Daniel,

That is strange. Did you guys eventually get the dressing table downstairs?

I have heard people say that old furniture, that has belonged to people who have passed on, can sometimes have energy or entities attached to them. I don't think that I have ever experienced it myself with any of my furniture; but I have heard it said.

I don't think your mother fainting was due to any malicious or hateful intent on the part of any entity that may be in the house. April 2019, I caught my cat running out the back door (he is not allowed to socialize with the vast population of feral cats outside). As I walked back in the door, I had a seizure and blacked out for a few seconds. When I came to, I was sitting with my back to the door frame, I was missing a sandal and my cat was free to go anywhere he wanted with the door wide open - he didn't go anywhere because he was busy, smelling my shaking hand. I was told, by my niece, that it looked like I fainted.

I believe it was anxiety that triggered it. Maybe there was energy attached to the dressing table and it triggered a similar kind of reaction with your mother. I am not an expert in these things; but this is my line of thinking.

Your mother seems very strong willed and self sufficient; but maybe it would be good to keep a watchful eye on her in case it ever happens again.

I get the impression that whatever is in your house and attic is probably not malicious. It might just be curious about you guys.

- Maria
DanielG (2 stories) (4 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
No, she doesn't have a history of fainting, at least as far as I know and hasn't fainted since.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
Hi Daniel,

I have always heard that renovations can "wake up" activity in locations that have been empty for many years. It wouldn't surprise me if something was disturbed because everything, that thinks and feels, can develop a sense of "territory". I especially think this is what the footsteps were all about in your house. They quieted down after a while; maybe the entity was curious about the changes.

I read your other story; does your mother have a history of fainting? Do you know if she has any issues with her blood pressure?

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: