You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Highway

Real Ghost Stories

The Highway

 

My family has a history of weird happenings. My grandmother on my father's side is a firm believer in the Paranormal and has tried to impress the same belief on me. My mother on the other hand, has always been a sceptic and disapproves of my grandmother's tall tales. I tend to side with my mom and write most things off as strange but explainable. Most of the goings-on have been confined to our home but this is the first experience of something in the wild and is I believe, my first actual sighting.

It was November last year, coming up on midnight. It was a cool night and road conditions were clear. Mom and I were driving back into town over a stretch of road called the 'Brae'. It's the secondary road into town and pretty desolate. There's a few farms but quite a lot of them are abandoned.

We were on a straight part of the road. I was on my phone while talking to mom. As I look up I see a figure of a girl suddenly appear. It's hard to put into words. It's not like the girl was lit up as the car moved forward or walked out from the edge of the road, she just appeared in the middle of the road.

Mom braked but it was no good, there was no way we were stopping in time. The car skidded. I clenched my teeth and waited for the impact of the body hitting our car but nothing came. Our car ended up sideways on, basically blocking half the road.

I turned to mom and saw she was slumped in her seat. Panicking, I realised she had somehow been knocked out. I didn't understand how, we didn't hit anything and the car had only braked. I shook her arm but she didn't respond. I kept prodding at her until I got a groan in return. As she came to, I turned to look and could see the figure behind us, completely fine. As I watched her, she disappeared as she had arrived.

Other hauntings by DanielG

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DanielG, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DanielG (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-02-27)
I wouldn't say the road is accident prone. It's hilly and remote but relatively straight.

I have no idea how mom lost consciousness. I have submitted a second story which may be related to this however.
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-25)
Hi DanielG,

I also agree with the previous posters for it to be a residual apparition

However,I am very curious to learn about the reason of your mother losing consciousness.

Is the road which you were driving through is accident prone?

Hope the apparition has not followed you by any chance.

Will love to hear more from you:)

Regards
DanielG (2 stories) (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-25)
I'm glad she's not easily scared in that case or we might have been in trouble.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-24)
Highway ghosts have been reported all over the US. Those that appear in the middle of the road always seem to appear too close for the driver to safely avoid impact. Many theorize this is on purpose to cause the driver to panic and crash. I do not know, but your mother was lucky to not have crashed the car when she saw the apparition.
DanielG (2 stories) (4 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-18)
Hi guys, thanks for all the interest.

I still have no idea how mom was knocked out. She's only 38, very fit and active so I'm not sure about fainting.

She remembers the girl and braking but does not remember anything else until she woke up. She wasn't injured in any way.

She also has one of those Michael Kors watches which stopped pretty much at the time of the incident. It's gold and pretty large and chunky, so it would be pretty sturdy.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-18)
Maybe your mother passed out from fright, thinking she had hit someone. What did she say when she came to? Did she suffer any injuries or ill effects?
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-18)
Daniel - I would be interested to know what caused your mother to lose consciousness, especially as it seems that she didn't sustain any injuries.

She braked, so she must have seen the girl. What was her take on this incident?

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Welcome to YGS.

DanielG.

I agree with the previous poster, the girl sounds like a residual apparition. Did you have a good look at her clothes? Perhaps this could give you an idea of the time period in which she lived.

You could research the local newspapers' annals looking for any past accidents reported at that area.

Have you asked your mother if she saw the girl too? What were the road conditions and speed of the car at the time of the accident? I know that black ice can affect the outcome of a vehicle's sudden braking.

Did you notice if the girl reacted in any way at the events? Perhaps she, too, was surprised to see this 'ghostly' accident happening before her eyes apparently 'out of the blue'.

Thanks for sharing.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Hi I believe that you saw a residual ghost of a girl who might have died on the same road before

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: