You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Clothes Pegs

Real Ghost Stories

Clothes Pegs

 

My maternal grandmother had a habit of collecting clothes pegs.

At age 78, my grandmother was still sharp and spry. I remember that whenever she folded newly-washed laundry, she used to like gathering the clothes pegs and shaping them into a mound in the middle of the bed where the errand was usually done.

When I was 14, she passed away from an illness that rendered her paralyzed for several weeks prior. It was the first death in my family and everyone was in grief. Most of us just could not wrap our heads around the thought that she was gone. For myself, I could not seem to imagine falling asleep at night without listening to her war stories, or waking up to the wonderful smell of the sweet potatoes she roasted every morning. But during her funeral wake, I had to come to terms with the reality of a beloved's loss.

Her wake was held in an aunt's house. Let me make this clear: no one was left at my own house. We turned off all the lights and locked all doors. My mother brought the keys and not one member of my family had them at any time during that night. That's why the events that followed still baffle me to this day.

In the morning, my mom and I decided to go back home to quickly check on things. When we got there, I went straight to my bedroom to nap. The moment I opened the door, I caught sight of something weirdly out of place. There was a mound of clothes pegs right smack in the middle of my bed. Moreover, there's a sleeping mat rolled neatly in one corner as if someone slept in the room during the night. I couldn't remember doing either of these things and I didn't even use the mat. My mom saw I was frozen by the door and went to stand beside me. Then she, too, was frozen.

I felt my skin break out in goose flesh. This seems funny to me now, but at that time my mom and I were scared. We booked it out of the house in a flash. I've never experienced something like it before and have not experienced it again after. I didn't know whether to believe the implications of what I saw.

It's been decades since she passed but I still think of her and miss her from time to time. She occasionally appears in my dreams. Whatever happened that time, I'd just like to think it was my grandma coming to say a final goodbye and letting us know she's still looking after us even if she can no longer be with us in this physical realm.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, edenchan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-27)
i'm so so sorry for this sad loss of yours, I indeed think it was truly your grandmother, maybe to say an final good bye or watch over you, it is very nice she came to your bedroom. I bet she's very proud of you
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-19)
SDS 😲 had to click on your name to make sure it was you! Nice to see you back.

Sorry Edenchan,

I thought your narrative was really beautiful and I've no doubt it was your grandma. You'll probably relate to this recent post.
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=27084
Have any of your dreams ever include clothes pegs? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
Hello edenchan, welcome to YGS. I feel that your grandmother came to tell the grieving family that she was alright after she passed on. Loved ones come back to the family and make their presence felt. I quite understand how scary would have been the experience for you and your mother. But, I think, as you have rightly surmised, she might have come to say goodbye to you. And that she comes in your dreams means that she is fond of you. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hi edenchan
Firstly I would like to offer my condolences on the loss of your grandmother, I think that clothes pegs on your bed was a sign to say that she's still around watching over everyone, and that was her way of showing it to you.
en_chuu (4 stories) (27 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-16)
Hi edenchan,

Condolences for the loss of your grandmother. It's a very solemn story and it's heartwarming to know she still visits your dreams from time to time. I had lost my grandfather almost two decades ago, and I have a similar experience with dreams where he'll pop in to say hi or too tell us something important. ❤
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-16)
Hello edenchan and welcome to YGS,

I am sorry for your loss. I understand the disorientation that comes with accepting the loss a close family member. I believe you are right; the clothes pegs bundled up on the bed in their usual routine was a sign that your grandmother is no longer suffering. She knew that the clothes pegs would be a sign that would be clearly understood.

Thank you for sharing this bittersweet story. It brings to mind the experiences that I had in losing my own maternal grandmother.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: