You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Why Did You Change Your Clothes?

Real Ghost Stories

Why Did You Change Your Clothes?

 

As a child I had a few weird encounters in my parent's house, the house I grew up in, but nothing ongoing, or that made me believe the house was "haunted". Well, there was the basement...ooh, that basement. Always freaked me out as a child, but mostly I think it was just my imagination at work. As an adult, however, I have had one strange experience in my parent's home that I've never been able to explain.

When my sister and I were in our twenties we were both living and working in another province, and had flown home together to visit our parents. On our second evening home, we all decided to go out to a restaurant for a dinner. My parents had just headed out to the car, and I was standing at the coat closet, getting my jacket and bag before following them out. The coat closet is in the hallway; a few steps in front of me was the front door, and to my right was the door to the living room.

As I was gathering my things, I glimpsed my sister standing in the living room. She was facing away from me, standing in front of the fireplace, wearing a white summer dress. I was surprised - it was summer, but it was a cool-ish day - and I was also vaguely annoyed, because we'd agreed not to get dressed up. So I said aloud, "why did you change your clothes?" and then, as I turned to look fully at her, she was gone. I stood there a moment, bemused, when I heard the downstairs toilet flush. A few seconds later my sister came up over the stairs, wearing the same jeans and blue sweater she'd been wearing all day. Thinking it had just been a trick of the light coming through the window, I shrugged it off, and we headed for the car.

Just for a laugh, though, as I climbed into the car I said to my parents, "I just saw a GHOST in your house!" My mum just said, "Ack! No! Stop! You did not!", but my dad - who is NOT a fanciful guy - said, very calmly, "Oh? A woman right?" I hesitated - keep in mind that I still thought I'd imagined it - and replied, "Er, yeeesss...?" Dad went on - "In the living room, right? Wearing a white dress? Yeah, I see her from time to time." Well, THAT shut me up. My mum, not so much - she was not at all happy to hear the same story from both of us!

Other hauntings by DandelionQueen

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DandelionQueen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
hahaha, I love dandelions poking up everywhere!

I'd also love to hear your other experiences and anything you can get out of your dad.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
DandelionQueen- thank. You for getting back to me, and if you do ask your dad, just post an update right here in the comments. And I'm looking forward to that other story you mentioned in the last comment, and the fact that it has to do with a basement makes it scarier. Thanks again. 😊
DandelionQueen (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-30)
Oh, also, Sam 222 - you asked if I ever saw her again. Well, my parents still live there, but I've not seen her since, and we never really discussed it again. I can't imagine that my dad would mention it, though, even if he had. The impression I got at the time was that he'd seen her more than once, so who knows? Maybe it's a regular thing! I think I'll ask him next time I'm over there. Personally I can only think of one other ghostly encounter that I ever had in that house, and that was in the dreaded basement (oooh, that basement), when I was very young. Perhaps I will post that story another time.:)
DandelionQueen (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-30)
Thanks for your feedback everyone, glad you enjoyed reading about my experience!

Sam - although I have had a number of experiences I am a natural born skeptic, so until my father's surprise confirmation, I too assumed I was imagining things. My dad never talks about or shows any interest in anything paranormal, so it was quite unexpected! I do think, though, that my touch of "sensitivity" - or whatever it is - comes from him. In my last post ("Ghostly Voice"), I mention another shared experience he and I had while flying on a plane together (although that time, only I heard the voice).

Tweed - perhaps you are right that on some level I did know; after all, I was sure enough that I'd seen someone that I spoke aloud to "it" (that kind of freaked me out, actually). Also, re. The name... If you could see my garden, you'd know how apropos it is!:)
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-30)
I was about to say maybe you thought you saw it, because no one can see perfectly in the corner of there eyes because when your looking forward your eyes don't dfocus in the corners. But when I read what was said between you and your dad, I threw that explanation in garbage.
Did you ever see her again?
kolby88 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-29)
Great story, is very entertaining and thank you for sharing 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-27)
DandelionQueen, (btw I love your name!)

Love it when things are confirmed unexpectedly! You probably made the comment in the car because deep down you knew what you'd seen. 😉

Thanks for sharing this great story.
ashar123 (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-03-26)
A short entertaining story but it is tending me to think that what happened with you was paranormal or not.
Someonewashere (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-25)
That was a great story, it made me laugh in the end, thankyou for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: