You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ww2 Mortuary

Real Ghost Stories

Ww2 Mortuary

 

My sister, who is older than me, has lived in East Anglia for many years. We are estranged so I will give no clue as to her specific location or identity. When she first married, she lived very rurally with her two young children and her dog, a Golden Retriever. Her husband worked abroad a lot.

The house she lived in was large and quite modern but she discovered the grounds outside, including the orchard, had served as a mortuary during WW2. There were even remnants of stone slabs which we assumed had been used for laying bodies on. I'm not sure East Anglia was bombed much during the war, but I do think there had been airfields in the area so perhaps fatally injured airmen were taken there.

My sister had a lot of uncomfortable experiences during her time there but this one always stuck in my mind.

One dark evening, alone in the house but for the children in bed and the dog lying by the fire, the doorbell rang. As I said the location was rural. Her driveway extended down to a very quiet country lane and she had no close neighbours. The nearest residence was a very old country house hotel, over the wall from her and reputedly haunted.

When she tentatively answered the door, no one was there and she said there was no way anyone could have got to the end of the drive so quick. On top of that the dog, who was a normally friendly, bouncy fellow, accompanied her to the door but then cowered and whined behind her legs as she opened it. After checking no one was around she shut the door, feeling highly spooked.

This happened more than once while she lived there and always made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck whenever she told me it had happened.

Other hauntings by Breaghboo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Breaghboo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-01)
Rajine You have reminded me we (my husband and I) have experienced this in our own 150 year old cottage but on the window, not the door. Our cottage is also up a drive with nowhere to hide and on running to the door after hearing these knocks and opening it no one has been there. This happened many years ago (we've been here 31 years) three times in a short period but never since. Interestingly we were told by locals that a long time ago a "healer" of some kind lived in the cottage surrounded by fields (still is) and agricultural workers injured in the fields would come here and knock for medical attention and he would patch them up, way before our national health service! He sounded like a very kind man. He had a tiny surgery at the end of our house, now our study. We have had many cats over the years and they have always loved the study. Must get good vibes!
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-05-31)
Hi Breaghboo

Yes however it in my experience it was knocking, 3 distinctive knocks and then silence and on both occasions I opened the door only to find nobody there 🤦🏻
Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-30)
Rajine. I take it you mean "phantom" doorbell ringing has happened to you? I don't think it's that uncommon but it is something that I find very eerie.

Rex-T. I didn't think of that - that lots of airfields would have made the area a target for bombs. Makes sense. Thanks for the link.
You're right - in my mind, spooked animals are usually a big giveaway that something paranormal is afoot!
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-05-29)
Breaghboo,

According to the link below, there were numerous airfields, serving as bases for the US Air Force during WW2 in East Anglia. There are other articles indicating RAF (Royal Air Force) bases as well.

Https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-24116597

It is quite possible that your assumptions are correct.

No doubt that East Anglia's close proximity to the European mainland and that allied air raids were launched from these airfields would have made them a target for bombing.

Always a good indicator that something is "not quite right" when an animal starts behaving out of character, like your sister's golden retriever.

I can only hope that your sister's occasional visitor can eventually find their way home.

Rex-T
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-05-28)
Hi Breaghboo

I've experienced the very same thing twice in my life, I've posted it on YGS as well, it's one of my older stories, the first time it happened I was alone and during that time I just lost my grandfather, the second time I wasn't alone and everyone who was with me heard it, thankfully, or they'd think I'm just going crazy.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-05-28)
Hi Breaghboo.

Thanks for replying.

In such case, I wonder if the knocker was a departed gentleman trapped in the time of his passing, checking on the family, whom he perceived, had no man to take care of them.

In my opinion, it seems like this spirit didn't mean any harm, but it must have been very unnerving for your sister to open the door and see no one there.
Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-05-28)
lady-glow. I only said I wouldn't comment because I didn't think there was much else to say, but no, I don't think it did ever happen when he was home. I never considered that aspect before.
Thanks for your comment.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-05-27)
I know you are not willing to participate in the discussion but, do you know if this knocking ever happened when your BIL was home?

Nice read.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: