You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Exit 40

Real Ghost Stories

Exit 40

 

In 1999, my mother and father were on a trip from Oklahoma to visit us in California. Along the way they pulled over to change drivers.

My mother called me, and told me that he had a heart attack and died along the road side in Albuquerque.

My brother and sisters picked me up after I finished working all night in Sacramento. We travelled East in three cars.

I remember getting to Albuquerque in the morning, I had just woke up and was ready to take my turn driving.

I looked around thinking this was the place my mother said my father died.

Our three cars continued East, as we were all chattering back and forth on the two way radios.

Occasionally we would stop for gas or a snack.

We were cruising along at 70 mph per hour as we approached Amarillo, Texas. I was driving the last car, when at speed the engine just stopped. I repeatedly tried to call on the radio, but couldn't get through the chatter. The other vehicles were soon out of range of the radio as I coasted off the freeway and into a Love's Gas Station at Exit 40.

After some time the other two cars doubled back and found me, so six of us were together at the station.

My brother and I looked at the engine, there was nothing obviously wrong. We had gas, oil, and the car was a fairly new car.

After some time we were able to restart, after doing little more than inspecting the engine.

We continued our trip to Allen, Oklahoma, arriving that evening. We apologized to my mom for being later than expected and told her of our break down at Exit 40 in Amarillo.

She told us "That's where your father died."

"What? I thought you said Albuquerque?"

She said " I may have, when I called you I was kind of out of it"

I look back now at this and think, ghosts? Coincidence? Out of all the exits between Sacramento, California and Allen Oklahoma, why this one. The only trouble going there and back. The event brought most of my brother and sisters to the very spot where my father died.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mweat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+6
2 years ago (2021-11-26)
Gidday Mweat,

A little late to the party, but your experience has relevance to my father's passing, so I thought I'd drop you a line.

From what you have stated, I believe the odds are very good that you, your brother and sisters were destined to spend some time where your father died.

Just goes to show that encounters with passed loved ones do not have to be "spooky" or "scary" and, in fact, can be beneficial.

My father died of a heart attack while warming the car up (something that had to be done in the 1970's), in preparation for our return trip home, from holidays.

A few years later, I believe that he may have helped me safely navigate through an incident with a broken windscreen on the same stretch of highway that he was about to drive home on before his heart attack.

Even though you guys were unaware of the significance of Exit 40, I'm sure that was his chance to say farewell.

Rex-T
DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2021-11-25)
I live in Texas in a small town. Once my husband and I were travelling on a highway towards Lubbock at early morning. I remember we pass through this long stretched highway with nothing at the sides but windmills and empty land or maybe farmlands, I couldn't really tell because it was dark and the moon was illuminating our surroundings that's why I could tell there were windmills. I saw a man walking in a middle of a field at an ungodly hour like he is just making a stroll. I don't think it is supernatural but it is really weird seeing someone up and about around 2 or 3am in the middle of no where. I just had to comment because you mentioned Texas.

Thank you for sharing your story, I bet your Dad was happy to see his family all together. May he rest in peace. God bless.
Mweat (1 stories) (1 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2021-10-28)
At the time, we thought nothing of it. I believed at the time, he died in Albuquerque. I believed the others believed that also.
On the return trip to California, our little "Caravan" did make an intentional stop there.
We all bowed our heads and paused a moment. Afterwards, we all looked up and around.
Thats when it really set in. It actually put a place to an event. And there was where I coasted off the freeway.
I try to look at things scientifically, but this was the only place on the trip that there was any problem, either way.
Out of the thousands of exits we past on the trip, we all came to a unplanned stop here.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-27)
Hi Mweat

I don't think it's a coincidence, especially since that's the spot where he passed on, condolences to you and your family, may he rest in peace.
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-25)
Thats a really awesome story. I hope it somehow brought peace to you, knowing your dad was there, even if in spirit. May he rest in peace. ❤
MrsRamsay (guest)
+6
2 years ago (2021-10-25)
YES. Now THAT is what I call a message from your dad!
You didn't say his name, but I'd like to give him a big thumbs up for communicating with you all.

I say all the time, if I die and am able to somehow communicate, I'm going to say something important, or give information... Something tangible if possible. Pretty impressive.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+6
2 years ago (2021-10-25)
Well, given that it happened, I'd say 100% chance?:)

May his Memory be Eternal.
Piperasc (5 stories) (19 posts)
+6
2 years ago (2021-10-25)
Thanks for sharing your story. For sure your dad had a hand in bringing you to the place he passed. I am glad you got a sign from him.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: