You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Spirits Of Station Cottage

Real Ghost Stories

The Spirits Of Station Cottage

 

My parents moved to Station Cottage around a year ago now. It's an 1800's house with a few previous deaths, although they are long in the past. It is named Station Cottage as it was built for the station master. The actual station was demolished and its pieces used to build the other houses nearby. It was an interesting idea and, in fact, the architect who engineered this is my neighbour. To my knowledge, this house was built for this purpose, a station master moved in, then the train line was completed in 1869. It closed to passengers in 1930 so it's now only a freight line.

In June, I graduated from university and came to visit for a few months. Previously, I had been estranged from my parents, so this was the first time I had visited the cottage. It's so peaceful. I've always lived in rural areas, but this was something else. Just being in the house helps me breathe deeper and feel a sense of relaxation I've never experienced elsewhere. And that's saying something considering I have complex PTSD and a myriad of other mental and physical difficulties.

My parents agree completely. When I was a teenager, I was a practicing Wiccan witch. I still believe, but rarely have the time to practice my faith. My aunt is also a Wiccan witch who practices frequently. She's very sensitive to the feel of places and, when she visited, she said that this was a good home, with kind energy. This energy is strongest in the front bedroom - everyone who visits agrees. To me the energy feels feminine and gentle.

When my mother told me about this and I experienced it for myself, I asked her if she'd had any specific supernatural experiences here. She told me of a time where the keys in the front door swung back and forth for over twenty minutes once, with no discernible reason. She said that sometimes they feel their hair pulled playfully. Small things like that. Initially, they had no doubt that there were spirits here, but they never really talked about it. While my parents had once seen a ghost and are believers, it's always been me that seeks these things out after my own supernatural experiences as a child. These are very personal to me, so unfortunately I don't feel comfortable sharing them here.

At first I experienced the same things as my parents - pulled hair, the keys swinging, sometimes just a feeling of someone else in the room. I was the only one who noticed a pattern, however. The more prolonged experiences were often after someone had raised their voice or had a fight. My mother is a very combative person. While she's mellowed out a lot since moving here, she does often raise her voice to my father, who then returns her energy. I've always felt that these things are caused by the feminine spirit. As if she's saying, 'don't fight, you're a family.' She feels very motherly.

The first time I saw a full-bodied apparition in the house, my parents were asleep. I went to the downstairs toilet, truthfully, in my underwear. I was in the living room, passed through the dining room and into the kitchen. The conservatory and the back bedroom are the only parts of the house that aren't original. Some of the kitchen is original but it's been extended. The kitchen you can walk in is shaped kind of like a flat 'U' with a breakfast bar in the middle. The dining room door is to the bottom left, the backdoor to the top left, the downstairs toilet door to the top right. The base of the flat 'U' shape is what's original, the two prongs are the extension. The back bedroom is then a square shape above the kitchen and the conservatory wraps around the outside of part of the dining room and kitchen in a quarter circle. I hope this makes sense.

So, I went to the downstairs toilet, did my business and rounded the corner of the kitchen to the original part of the kitchen, facing the dining room. There was an old man there, standing in the doorway. He had on some sort of suit, a hat, white hair and a beard. He was carrying a walking stick. Mostly, I just noticed his face. He seemed surprised and embarrassed, just as much as I was surprised to see him there. As soon as I registered this, he was gone. I stood for a moment taking in what I had seen. I didn't feel scared or anything, and he didn't feel like an intruder here. Rather, I felt as though he was meant to be here, and I would have been just as surprised to see one of my parents standing there.

As I passed through the doorway I apologized for surprising him, turned out all the lights and closed the doors. I now make sure to be completely dressed when downstairs, close doors after I enter a room and open doors to the dining room slowly so he knows that I'm coming in. Sometimes when I'm in the living room or kitchen I feel his presence in the dining room so I knock first. I think he's easily surprised when we come in but he doesn't seem to mind sharing the house with us. I remember wondering if the feminine spirit was his wife or daughter.

For several days, I didn't tell my parents. Not for any particular reason, just because it felt like such a normal, ordinary experience. My previous experiences with the supernatural have been... Not scary, but ominous. There was a time I could have died if I hadn't heeded the warning of the Hat Man. Every time I have felt as though I needed to tell someone, anyone. This didn't feel like that. The only reason I'm posting here is... Perhaps posterity and curiosity as to what others might think.

The next experience I had was in my bedroom, the back bedroom, which, as I explained earlier, isn't original. I'm not sure that that really matters though, since clearly the spirits here are very aware of their surroundings. I was trying to sleep on a hot night, the windows open. In my bedroom, there is a solid wood desk and someone kept knocking on it - it was quite persistent, as if someone was trying to get my attention. I'm not sure why I didn't do anything about it, I just kept trying to sleep. I suppose I knew that they didn't mean any harm and they didn't feel like an intruder. Whatever they wanted, it didn't seem important enough at the time. In the morning, I kept trying to debunk it in my head. The cottage is detached, my parents were asleep at the time. It's the one experience I'm not sure about. I didn't feel any energy from it, it just happened. Sometimes I wonder if it was a wandering spirit, brought in from the railway line.

My mother experienced the next full-bodied apparition. It was around 6pm, still daylight, and she was standing by the back door in the kitchen washing something for dinner. We always leave the conservatory doors open due to the heat. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a man walk through the doors and come up to the backdoor next to her. She didn't pay attention to his appearance as she thought that it was my father, until she saw my father walk through the conservatory doors as well. She looked at the man in the doorway and described him identically to the old man I saw. My father saw the back of him briefly before he disappeared. My mother said that he didn't look surprised like she was, but looked kindly. I quote, "He looked as if he was coming home for his dinner after a long day's work." I was amazed that we had all experienced the same apparitions now and all had the same sense that they were just ordinary people who belonged here.

Last week, I went back to my university to pack up my things and move them into a storage facility. I returned home yesterday, gladly. I was standing by the backdoor, waiting for my father to bring in a box. I turned to look around at the kitchen, but stopped when I looked at the dining room door. A dark shape of a head and a hand was peeking out at me from the dining room. It ducked in when I looked at it, which made me smile to think that a spirit cares so much about me coming home that they appeared to me. It was as if it was saying, 'what's going on? Oh, it's you, welcome home.' I'm pretty sure it was a male spirit, so it could have been the old man but I'm not certain, especially as I think there might be a third spirit here that I have yet to put my finger on. A male spirit, maybe a teenager or a young man. I don't have any evidence for this, it's just a feeling I have. Someone more playful than the old man or the woman, perhaps who also does some hair pulling of their own.

This experience is why I decided to share the story of Station Cottage so far. I felt so happy to be in a place where I am wanted and welcomed, even by the dead. I feel blessed to be able to share this house with them. This may not be wholly related to the spirits here, but I feel like Station Cottage has given my family a new lease on life. Our old house was a new building with no previous residents, yet it had horrible vibes to it. I always felt scared and paranoid, trapped - here I just feel free. All of us have been able to make changes we want to and we get along better here than anywhere else. I've experienced a lot of bad things and abuse in the past, including by the hands of my parents, but it seems moving here has changed everything in our dynamic and I personally attribute it to the peaceful nature of the spirits here.

I would love to know your thoughts on the spirits of Station Cottage and if you also feel grateful for the spirits that haunt your house. Thank you for reading my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Clfrd, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

00786 (3 stories) (9 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-04)
Hi Clfrd, thanks for sharing this amazing story. I really enjoyed it 😊 I've also come accross some spirit that mean no harm and are friendly. Did you look up for the history of the cottage like who lived there before you? Waiting for more stories from your side ❤
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (243 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-09-03)
Hello Clfrd, great story. It was refreshing to read a story about a family having an experience in the home with more loving & positive energy.

There are many homes full of negative energy that cause people to fight and even leads to violence and divorce, a direct influence of the potent darkness that lies within. The entities in those homes seem to thrive and live on the chaos and disorder and fear they induce.

Your home seems to be the proverbial opposite. The more positive energy also influences personality changes, but for the better, more loving and it seems as in your case, healing and soothing as well. Perhaps the entities/spirits in your home also thrive on the positive and loving energy and this would explain why the female presence doesn't like the fighting and discord. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

This home as you describe it sounds like it's really good for you. It may provide a healing dynamic for you and your family, a rare opportunity. I would spend as much time as possible here for the time being.

My feeling is that you are spot on with your identification of the various spirits/entities at this location. It may be a chance for you to get in touch with your gifts again as well. My general feeling is that just as a place full of negative energy can draw in more negativity and darker spirits, a positive place full of love and light can also draw in more positive entities and emotions. Perhaps that's how you got drawn there.

I believe you have an incredible opportunity here, pursue it. Feel free to update us if you find out anything more about the spirits that reside in your home. Possibly former station masters, and others how came through the railroad over the years and liked the feel of the place. Good Luck, and thanks for sharing!
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-29)
Hi Clfrd

It's finally good to read a incident that does not have a malevolent or scary ghost or demon in it, in a world full of such incidents yours gives me hope that it's not all that bad and that there's also good out there that's guiding and protecting us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: