You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Crying Woman At The Cottage

Real Ghost Stories

Crying Woman At The Cottage

 

My grandfather built a summer cottage in the countryside of Pennsylvania in the 1950s. 

     There was a community of these summer cottages along a picturesque creek. The cottage goers would get together for BBQs  and beer parties, card games and family reunions and turtle soup days.

By the 1980s, it was a bit quieter and a lot of the cottages nearby ours were vacant. The closest one inhabited was over a mile between us. That was fine for my immediate family who liked to go for a quiet weekend of rest. They would ask Grandpap if we could go up. He always said yes because he was getting older and didn't mind the extended family using his place if he couldn't make the trip up anymore.

     So, we went and I was allowed to bring my friend, Stacy.  We were around 5th or 6th grade. Stacy had come a few other times before and enjoyed it.

   Typically, we fished in the creek nearby, went swimming or canoing, played board games and built a campfire under the stars.

     We had our usual fun that day. We built a fire and counted  the stars. After roasting marshmallows and telling some ghost stories, we headed to bed inside the cottage. I don't remember what ghost stories we told but pretty sure it was creepy. I don't even know if it was made up stories or ones we heard. But we were sure scaring ourselves and I convinced Stacy that something was watching us in the darkness. I kept imaging these eyes in the dark looking at us.

     So, after scaring ourselves with our round of ghost stories, Stacy and I took the guest bedroom and settled in for the night. My parents were in the master bedroom and sound asleep.

     All of a sudden, we heard a woman sobbing outside our window. It was distinctly female and sounded human. It was the exact sound of someone crying. The window faces the outside. There's a tree in the distance with a rope swing. But no bushes for animals to hide in. Just a field. I thought maybe it was the sound of the creek babbling but it didn't sound like water. It was crying.

    We looked out and saw no one there. No animals, no rain, no potential things out of ordinary,  nothing. It scared us because we had no idea what it was. It went on throughout the night. We tried to sleep but it wouldn't stop. It was just the sound of a woman crying her heart out. She wasn't just sniffing, she was sobbing, really hard, so hard as if she was in the pits of despair.

     Stacy was getting really scared. We had no idea who it was or why. So I told her I would get my parents. I looked in their bedroom and they were both asleep. It was not my mom making that noise. But I decided I would calm Stacy down and tell her that the crying was my mom. I told her that she was sad about something that night. It just sounded like it was outside because my mom was trying to muffle her voice and not wake  us up. Stacy believed me then and feel right off to sleep. Meanwhile, I was stuck listening to it. Eventually, I did fall asleep too.

     When we woke up the next day. The crying was gone.

      At breakfast, I told Stacy that I was just trying to calm her down that night and it was not my mom crying after all. My mom heard all this and thought we were just trying to scare each other. She was not crying that night. Of course this scared Stacy even more, but we were going home that day so I didn't have to think about it. I have no idea what it was or why but I never heard it again. We still use the cottage but nothing strange happened after that.

Other hauntings by LuciaJacinta

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LuciaJacinta, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-01)
Yeah, some animals make almost human sounds.

I live in an area of small acreages and steps away from a cemetery, we moved here just over a year ago and, at some point, I began hearing someone yelling "A-hole! A-hole!" in a rather high pitched voice, after looking around and not seeing anyone I was getting excited thinking that, perhaps, I was hearing one of the spirits haunting the graveyard. 😨
But, I found out that one of the neighbors keeps some peacocks and other exotic birds in a cage on his yard, and one of them is the one yelling the rude word. 😜
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-03-30)
I was thinking that maybe you heard an animal too. What came to mind was a fox calling out. They can sound quite human, close to a woman yelling or crying. I remember as a child, I heard one and thought it was a human crying too before my father pointed out the fox's calls. It did sound scary until I thought about it and then actually saw a fox cry out.

Maybe do some research on local animals and YouTube their calls to see if you find a match? I'm glad you didn't experience it again though. Thanks for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-30)
Nicely written, though it's hard to say if it was a paranormal encounter.
Considering the lovely setting, there could have been a natural explanation for the sound. Perhaps a small animal or the wind blowing through something you couldn't point at in the dark.

I just find it to difficult to believe that talking about ghosts in a place with no history of activity is going to, suddenly, open a gate to paranormal activity.
But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: