You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Foreign Language In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

Foreign Language In The Night

 

Have any of you ever dreamed in a foreign language? Or gotten short messages that way?

Today, while looking in my i-phone notes for the password to my bank -- I can NEVER remember all these passwords -- I ran across something I'd written there in the middle of the night weeks ago with only a vague recollection of it. It said "ook sein pond."

It was a little astonishing. I'd resolved a couple years ago to write down significant things that "join" my vivid dreams & already had one incident that can't be explained except for my theory. The idea is, when I wake up with a thought that seems unusual, I'll remind myself by writing a note in my phone for morning & then look it up. It started when I woke one time with the word "fegnet" in my head, almost as if someone had just printed it on a white board in my head. I visualized it: ffegnet, in a pretty script. I remembered it somehow & searched the internet next morning for some meaning, it meant nothing to me. An antique German Christmas card on E-bay was about the only thing I found with the word written in a fancy script in a poem. I typed the line into translate & something about being blessed came up. That wasn't satisfying enough for me, so I wrote to a German professor whose name I found online to ask him if there was anything else he could tell me about the word. He wrote back & told me the word is actually "segnet." Which is a verb meaning blessed. He told me the script from the card (I'd sent him a clip) was written in an old German gothic script in which s's look like two small f's. So no wonder I could not find much about it, I'd been typing in the wrong word.

Meanwhile, my hobby is ancestry & I realized that this word dream thing had happened very near to the day I'd gone to the local historic National Cemetery to visit the grave of an ancestor I never realized existed. He was killed in the Battle of Peachtree Creek in Atlanta --a New York man who was my 2nd great uncle & whose grave I've been driving past almost 20 years without realizing it! The discovery that my uncle was killed in Atlanta -- I know almost exactly where he died based on descriptions of the battle -- was even more amazing after I realized, theoretically, that I had a message from him in German, which was his native tongue. His grandfather was actually a Hessian desserter who fought in the Revolutionary War as a very young man, then married a woman of a Puritan family & settled in NY. So I'm thinking German was probably still spoken in the family at the time of his childhood. I felt like he somehow sent me that word as a thank you for the prayers I offered up at his graveside! I took French in high school & German in college, but never learned that word I'm certain. Plus, I'm horrible at languages and the fact that I mistook the s to be an f somewhat makes it less likely it was just a word I heard one time. It was a visual thing in my dream.

Fast forward to the latest, which I was truly surprised to see today."Ook sein" translated from German means "be ok." I have no recollection of dreaming it, but must've written it in my phone. I'm wondering if my uncle somehow knows I was in the hospital with A-fib back in October & was wishing me well? The actual thing I wrote down was "ook sein pond" which... I have no idea.

I'd love to hear what any of you think or if you've had similar experiences. I'm just going with my first intuition about the source of these words. Even after taking German, I know I never learned "ook" as a form of "to be." Totally new to me, maybe even a colloquialism? Thanks for your thoughts.

Mrs. Ramsay/Pelatiah

Other hauntings by Pelatiah

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pelatiah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-18)
Hi Pelatiah,

What a wonderful connection you've made! Glad you got the translation.
They say you dream in a language when it becomes ingrained in your psyche. I speak Danish and dream in it sometimes. The way you managed to make a note in his language I think speaks to your connection to him, and him to you. Like a mark of respect and fondness. Great stuff! He may also be wishing you well in these crazy times we're living in.

Thanks for sharing.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-03-03)
Breaghboo, Thanks for the translation. (I need to keep typing because I haven't used enough characters). Oh dear. I don't have anything else to add.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-03-02)
Breaghboo,
Thanks for chiming in, that's so helpful.
I am supposing it could also be a colloquialism... But the gist makes complete sense when considered with the first incident. The second time more casual, I suppose we've been "introduced."

Whoa. Amazing.

I thank you all for the input and your open minds.
Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-02-28)
The German verb "sein" means "to be". So "Be ok" or, in other words, "Stay safe" I would translate as.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-23)
Pelatiah,
This was such a sad situation. May your uncle find peace. I have no idea what (ook sein Pon) translates as in English - but it looks like you have all our members giving you answers and theories that I must say are really solid. You ask if anyone has had similar dreams. I have woken up once or twice talking nonsense in a deep voice and what sounded foreign but who knows what language because it really didn't make any sense. Up until this day I remember how scared I was. I thought I was possessed. LoL.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-16)
Ah, great question Mellow.
Simone de Montfort is my 28th g granfather! I am into ancestry & I believe he's the farthest back I've ever gotten, months if not years after that dream. I remember just saying, "uh huh." It's not the first wild ancestry thing/coincidence that's happened.
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-16)
Montfort? Do you have French ancestry? How mysterious!

I don't believe it is likely that any of my ancestors were at Alamo, as far as I know, the first ones moved to North America post-WWII, but settled in Calgary and New Jersey, and I myself have never lived in the US, only visited.
The morning of my dream I had to catch a plane to Scotland, though, and I was properly on edge expecting the plane to go down or something, because the dream felt so apocalyptic with all that darkness, but save for some turbulence it was all OK. 😃
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-14)
FineandMellow, I only went back on Memorial day, which is end of May, detailed below. And it was only after submitting this story that I realized I have two possible messages, which is still freaking me out a little bit. Maybe I should say I'm more in awe. Because if it's true that our ancestors or any spirit can communicate with us like this -- I mean, we see it in movies all the time -- how amazing it is & how it changes how I see the world. I think of all the decisions I've made as a widowed mom of two, for example. Was I hearing from their father all along & never realized it? Or can our grandparents truly give us advice after they've left?

Your Alamo word is compelling! Does that mean you have an ancestor who was there? Was it shortly after you moved to the USA?

I also once woke up to the word "Montfort" for which there are a few different possibilities. Thanks so much for your comments!
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-12)
Pelatiah what a fascinating account, especially because the word came to you in an archaic spelling form. No way that is a coincidence! Have you visited the grave since, or are you planning on visiting regularly?

I also had an experience, years ago, where I heard a word in my dreams that was unknown to me. In my dream I saw darkness and then a ray/flash of bright white light accompanied by a whisper and me being startled awake. The word was "Alamo"! English is not my first language and as someone from Central/Eastern Europe, at the time I knew nothing about the history of Texas, so I had no clue what culture or language the word could be from, it sounded rather exotic to me. Then I did some googling and am still quite puzzled from where it came to me?! I knew about some basic US history like the Civil War, Great Depression, Civil Rights movement... We don't live in a cave, but I am fairly certain I never knew the word Alamo. I can see absolutely no personal connection, like you could find with yours. Apparently Alamo is also a car rental company in the States? Go figure. 😆

To MasterTomog - I also studied Latin in college, and Dominus does mean 'master' but is often used also as 'Lord' - meaning God. God's Fire puts things in a new perspective, doesn't it. Eek.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-11)
OMG, this was a fast post, as I only sent it last evening, thanks! I'm so intrigued by everyone's comments.

I'll dive just a bit deeper if I may. (I was afraid the story would get boring).

My gratitude for this ancestor & the level of respect is quite high. He had a wife & two children -- I have his photo, found on the Ancestry website, posted by other descendents -- & left everything to march hundreds of miles, slogging through the south in the worst of hot, wet, summer conditions. He made it through all the battles pre-Atlanta, which were near where I live in the suburbs/outskirts back then & they were horrifying. If spirits can know what we're thinking, then he knows how much I revere what he sacrificed. Also, we are a USMC family (I married two Marines, not at the same time, haha) so I'm quite patriotic & made sure to update him, as crazy as it sounds, that their side won the war & that even though I'm now a southerner, well, you know, I'm from the midwest actually... That all was well with the country (haha, technically, notwithstanding today's politics). Anyway, yes, I actually talk to people at their gravesites, even though I don't believe they're really THERE per se. On Memorial day last May, there was a big ceremony there, put on by the town. I printed & laminated my Ancestry entry for him, which includes his photo, & layed it by his grave with a bunch of lavender in a ribbon from my yard for visitors to see. Sort of a posey thing... Reminded me of his time period. Even though the cemetery includes guys from as late as Vietnam, it's mostly Civil War & I wanted to personalize my uncle's Civil War grave for the patriots & history buffs who passed by that day. I am not certain when the "ook sein pon" message was in my dreams, but I'm wondering if it was after that visit.

One thing that has been consistent with any communication or paranormal incidents I've had is that during & afterwords it's all very fuzzy. If I remember or start thinking seriously about it, it's LATER. If I put two & two together, it's LATER. It's not like it ever slaps me in the face, nothing scary (so far thankfully).

Master T, if I'd had your dream I'd have been scared sheetless!

Rajine, I do feel a bond with this ancestor. No one should die alone & though he died following in the footsteps of his grandfather, as a soldier, he was still a young man far from home.

Val, I LOVE your theory & would love the endearment.

Kindly, I appreciate the dutch also. I tried that also (as many of my ancestors were also dutch & intermarried & I believe spoke a mix for many generations. Their home was upstate NY, Palatines with some refugees during the Am Rev of original New Amsterdam dutch ----- Manhattan & Staten Island -- who fled when the Brits landed. (kids are all, "MOM! SO BORING" but it fascinates me).

Looking at the message in the context of my 2nd visit to his grave though, perhaps he was trying to tell me he saw me, or he sees me or he saw my "signal" to him (maybe the card/lavender I left). How cool would that be?!Again, I really appreciate your theories! Thank you so much!
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-11)
Hello Pelatiah, I know your ancestor was German and not Dutch but there are similarities between the two languages. In the past there may have been more (or less) similarity, depending on the regional dialect spoken.

I speak Dutch so let me confuse the issue further with a Dutch spin on things.

"Ook" means - also or - too.
"Sein" means - signal
or since the proffessor was swapping letters earlier
"Zein" means - too see.
"Pond" means simply - pound, as in unit of measure of mass.

I am not sure if that means anything to you. Perhaps there is an archaic German translation for "pond" that works with the other two Dutch words. Perhaps none of it works at all, but there it is for your consideration.

Kindly_refrain
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-11)
Pelatiah,
I dream in foreign languages. Not ALL the time, but often enough. Generally it's in Spanish, which makes sense to me as I live in a highly Hispanic area and hear it often. But sometimes...I'll have phrases or words in languages I don't often hear. Sometimes it's what I've termed 'alien speak' because I can't identify it at all.
The thing with translating unfamiliar words we've heard is we tend to spell phonetically and that can throw us way off.
The only 'pond' I know in German is the physics term for 1 gram of mass weight. Which makes no sense... Unless he was using 'Pond' as an endearment, then it would be kin to saying, "Be ok, little one." But that's a stretch.
MasterTomog (1 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-11)
Actually, yes!

It's a story that I'll share more in detail at some point, but I had a really creepy dream like that...

There was a ghostly woman floating down a staircase, she had red eyes, and looked like a burn victim. She pointed straight at me and started repeating the words "Fata Mortuum Ignis Domine!"

So, ok, that's Latin, but I've been puzzling over it for years, because the sentence didn't make much sense... Then again, most Latin doesn't to me. It's a language I never got into, even though I had a good teacher and passed the class in college. But anyway, I knew the word "Ignis" means fire... And that "Mortuum" had to do with death... I could've possibly guessed that "Fata" means fate, even though I never learned it... But "Domine"? That means "master", and I'd never heard it or learned it anywhere. Whatever the sentence is supposed to mean, that combination of words... It just probably wasn't a good thing being said, to say the least.
Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-11)
Hi Pelatiah

This is very interesting, I personally haven't had an experience like this, but I'm sure some of the other readers may have and can shed more light on this for you, having said that,I'm am going assume that it's probably messages from your ancestor who you visited, perhaps visiting his grave sort of created a bond of sorts?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: