You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: The Mist of Ward Essex

Real Ghost Stories

The Mist of Ward Essex

 

Those of you who are familiar with my posts may know me to be a somewhat skeptical person of the supernatural, especially when it comes to supposed photographic evidence. So you will appreciate the irony of what I am about to show you.

Some weeks before my encounter I was informed by a friend and fellow supernatural enthusiast of the ghostly figure of a woman that was said to haunt the corner of Ward St and Essex Rd (Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia). Unfortunately, he wasn't able to provide a more detailed description, not having witnessed this ghost first-hand.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not I thought) this just so happened to be near where I live. Having lived in the area for some fourteen years and never having seen or heard anything of a ghost in the area, I was at first skeptical never-the-less, I intended to check it out as it seemed like a pretty good excuse to go ghost hunting.

The few weeks following I was far too busy with uni to give ghost hunting any further thought. It's only now during the Easter break that I've had the chance to do my own investigation.

The following is my account of the events that occurred on the night of Sunday the 23rd of March, 2008:

Armed with my camera, I left the house at roughly 8.00pm. The corner of Ward and Essex wasn't far so I went on foot (I have included a photo of the area with the roads marked). My intention was to observe the area over the next hour, keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary and if possible, photograph it.

I took a few test photos with my camera and to my dismay, found that it wasn't well suited to taking photos at night. The only way I could get a decent shot at range was to use an eight second exposure (this was how the aforementioned shot of the area was taken). While the camera did have a flash, it was only practical for short to medium distances. If I did see anything unusual, I would need to be close to it to produce any sort of descent shot.

After about half an hour, I noticed what appeared to be a small but bright light dancing in the garden of the house on the very corner of Ward St and Essex Rd (I have marked this on the photo). Intrigued, I quickly crossed the road for a closer look. What I saw was unlike anything I have ever experienced.

As I approached, the light darted out from the garden. Up closer it appeared to be more of a fluorescent white mist. It darted back and forth rapidly and seemingly randomly for a matter of seconds, during which time I was able to take three photos before it took off at a terrific speed, flying almost directly over my head and disappearing into the night sky. I distinctly recall a chilling sensation as it flew over me, as if it was sucking the warmth right out of me.

I have included the three photos I took. The third one (of the mist as it flew over me) I find particularly interesting as it looks as if the mist is made up of many small orbs. However, this may be a trick of the light in relation to the camera lens.

Mist of Ward Essex #1
Mist of Ward Essex #2
Mist of Ward Essex #3
Map for Mist of Ward Essex
 

I fully intend to revisit the site at a later date, hopefully with some better equipment and perhaps with the aid of a more experienced ghost hunter.

Please take a look at my photos and let me know what you think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JPing, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

smileydelwen (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Hey there. I live in Brisbane too. I wouldn't mind coming together and investigate the "mist". Sounds interesting. When you approached the "mist" did you get a sense of horror or peace? How did the air feel to you? Cold or hot?

Keen to hear back from you!
Smiley
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-27)
I'm only am amateur so if I make a mistake, I can flash my 'L' plates. 😆 No offence taken.

Camera strap or no, I'll be sure to make sure it's well out of the way in future.
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-27)
Hope I didn't offend you regarding the camera strap but in many ghost hunting meetings we discuss objects in pictures and we are warned about camera straps, long hair and fingers getting in the way of a picture. We were shown several pics of what looked like vortexs but we were told that they were really camera straps, long white and bumpy looking similar to your pic. Even if the strap is black it looks white in the pictures also if you look at your pic you can almost see the brading that most camera straps seem to have.
Unfortunately being a professional ghost hunter we tend to try to disprove things more then prove them with the scientific approach. But being I have had many experiences that can only be deemed paranormal sometimes it is hard to be neutral on the subject. 😆
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Motherpann, a camera strap, haha. Wouldn't I feel silly were that the case. I sure hope it isn't. 😢

My camera does have a rapid photo setting (I think). I can't believe I didn't think of using that earlier, thanks.
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Came to read this story before I read your next one, The 3rd pic looks very much like a camera strap. I have seen the same image (or similar) numerous times from people thinking they caught a vortex. The first one almost looks like it has a human head and shoulders in it tho.

keep up taking pics, and try to take 2 or 3 in rapid succession to see if the same image shows up in all or just one. It is usually a requirement when we are on a ghost hunting investigation.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
Shelby, mate, I completely understand. I'd be just as peeved if someone doubted my stories. But like I said, no hard feelings.

You wouldn't believe how many times misunderstandings involving tone/expression etc. Have gotten me into trouble.:D

I appreciate your apology, but I don't think it's really necessary. After all, I may have acted a bit smart aleckey. I honestly don't remember, it was a while ago, and at the moment I'm stoned drunk (am I allowed to say that, Martin?). 'Stoned' is an overstatement - I'm able to type.

At any rate, this website shouldn't be a popularity contest.

I too have been very busy lately, which is why I havn't been very active lately. However, I have since returned to Ward Essex, though without any interesting events taking place.

If there is anyone reading this who lives nearby, I'd love to get together for a ghost hunt.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Hey JPing. This are really cool pics. I wonder what it was?! Did you ever go back? Oh, by the way, I did remove a couple of people off of my favorite poster list mainly because I had not seen them in a long time so I figured they were probably not coming back. BUT, you are right, I was a little peeved at you not because you were skeptical of my pictures, which by the way I think you were right about the orb picture because my husband took a picture in the rain and it was similar, but because you acted kind of like a Smart Aleck about it. Well, atleast that's how I took it. I understand that you can't hear someone's tone of voice or see someone's expression through the monitor so it's hard to tell how they are meaning to say something. Anyway, that was a little silly to remove you from my favorite posters list. Sorry. 😐
Well, if you ever go back to Ward Essex and find anything else I hope you will be sure to let us know. I never got back to that cemetary downtown because I have been so busy with everything else going on in my life. I hope to hear from you soon! 😊

SHELBY ❤
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
the digital camera I was using had one of those display screens, so there was no need to bend over into awkward positions or anything.

I've never heard of a hook orb before. Yes, the mist or orb or whatever you want to call it was darting all over the place.

Like I said in my story, I'm not sure if those dots of light in pic 3 are anything. The picture does looks out of focus so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was just an effect caused by motion blurr. It was moving very fast when it flew over me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Hello JPing.
As I was reading through your account, I could almost see me bending over backwards, with a camera to my face, and trying to capture the light that flew past my face and up and over me. Nice job on capturing these on film. I find the one that seems to be many dots of light the most interesting. It does not really look to me like a trail, more like a group of lights. The "hook" orb is interesting also. Almost as if the light started a certain path and rethought it, or...?
I find that the stories where skeptics have experienced something are the most interesting for me. They almost lend a more real quality.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
JPing,
I have read your other posts and know you to be skeptical, as am I, especially when it comes to orbs and mists. They are so easily explained by logically reasons. That being said, these pictures are amazing-defying the usual logic that can be explained.

thank you for sharing these pictures and the story with us!

God Bless!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Wow Jping, that is amazing! Thanks for sharing. It looks like you had quite the evening!

Jennifer ❤
huendchen (49 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I've never heard of this ghost either. I live on Indooroopilly Rd, like a 2-min drive to Ward and Essex, so I'm going to check this place out! Maybe I'll experience something! Thanks for sharing.
babyfranz (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing those and your stories as well. Take Care.
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hi JPing. Those are great pictures. I can't wait to see more and to read what happens when you visit the site again. 😊
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Thanks guys.

Bellissima, the fourth photo is just there to more or less set the scene. It was taken using that 8 second exposure, Martin has also edited it to show more detail (thanks).

The other pictures were just quick snap shots. I wouldn't have had a hope in the world of capturing it clearly with an 8 second exposure. Not with the way it was moving about.

You're right, pic 3 does sort of resemble a cloud. I'm not sure if that means anything though.

When I said I was a skeptiic, what I should have said is that I am half and half (or two-thirds and one-third 😆). I believe in the supernatural and think that many of the stories here are very interesting, but at the same time I have my doubts about many others. Most notably one of mustang's recent stories. I think I was the only one who was unconvinced by her photos. She actually removed me from her favourite posters over that, which I thought was a bit of a joke. No hard feelings though, Shelby if you're reading this.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hi JPing. I can't wait to see what comes about when you go out with better equipment! These are really interesting pics. Is picture #4 taken to show the area just before you took the photos of the... Well spirits? I can't see anything that would cause the lights that you captured, the area looks quite dark there. I think you have caught something unusual for sure. Are these photos taken with your 8 second exposure? If so, to me, that would explain the actual length of the apparitions, rather than catching simple orbs if taken at regular speed. It's really interesting, I haven't seen anything like these before. I don't know what to say about pic #3. It does look like a series of orbs, it looks kind of like a cloud or jet trail to me. That's not what I'm saying it is, just what I think it resembles. When you experienced the feeling of suddenly and briefly being chilled, that was something that got me thinking. Spirits will use your energy, sounds reasonable to me that the spirit took a little bit of yours. I really liked your pictures and I think you have caught something supernatural. I liked the first two pics the best, and the third was certainly something else. I guess you didn't capture the form of a lady, just her spirit giving you a little show. I believe you really did catch something supernatural and I thank you for sharing them with us. You mention you are a skeptic, how are you feeling about that now?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hi JPing. Great pictures. I know you really got something there! I bet you were surprised that you got so much! Congratulations on becoming a senior poster. I hope you will still share your knowledge and experiences in the future with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
That's crazy! Good job on getting those pictures. Usually the orbs people see in their pictures are just their camera, but I believe that those white orbs of light in your pictures are actually spirit, because I there are no random othr orbs in any other area.
And yes, please go revist that site and tell us.
Take care,
Chrono 😳

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: