You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Children's Ward

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Children's Ward

 

My name is Chantelle, I'm 29 years old & this is my story!

3 years ago, my 2 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia & so we had to stay in hospital on a children's cancer ward as expected for a few weeks.

It's an old, eerie ward with the hospital dating back from 1876 & is very quiet & creepy at night.

Anyway, a few days into our stay, strange things started happening.

One night, around 9pm, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to go to the parents room where you can make a drink, food ect. I was in there for a few minutes getting a drink when I started hearing a women humming behind me towards the door. It sounded like she was humming a lullaby. I looked around, thinking somebody had walked in with their baby, but nobody was there. I opened the door & looked down the corridor to see if a mother had left with their child but again, nobody was there. It was dark & empty that time of night. The humming stopped as I opened the door. Spooked, I went back to my bed as quickly as I could.

Another night, I went to the bathroom & the taps suddenly turned themselves on right in front of me & the toilet started flushing. I then heard loud whispering right in my ear. It was difficult to understand. I went cold, freaked out & got out of there as fast as I could.

Towards the end of my son's stay in hospital, I was fast asleep next to him when I suddenly got woken up by the loudest male voice shouting 'Chantelle, wake up!' There was a sense of urgency in his voice. I jolted awake, heart pounding, thinking there was something wrong with my son but nobody was there, just a curtain swaying slightly around my son's bed. There were no male nurses on the ward at the time either. I still go cold thinking about it. It took me a while to fall back to sleep.

The last experience I had was around 1pm. I was walking to a room that they call the sluice (a place to leave urine samples to be tested by nurses. I know, gross). Anyway, the ward was quite busy, a lot of people walking around. As I was approaching this room, I saw someone, a solid figure dressed in black walking in. Assuming it was another parent, I was about to say hello as I walked through the door but nobody was there. There was no way out except the door you came through. The weird thing was is that the door was still swinging as I approached it like somebody had just walked in before me.

My son is 5 now & only has 6 months left of treatment left & has been in remission for a while. We've had a few more stays in the same ward since but I've not experienced anything else.

This is my 1st story on this site. I hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Chaningham91

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Chaningham91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-02)
That's pretty creepy, having to deal with hauntings at the same time as having to deal with such strong emotions surrounding your son's treatment for cancer. I sincerely hope he continues to do well and that he gets a full get-out-of-cancer-free card in 6 months time. ❤
Chaningham91 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2021-06-02)
Thankyou everyone for your comments. 😊

Macknorton... I have had similar experiences before.
When I was younger, I used to see a man & woman stood staring at me all the time. No expression on their faces & always in the same place against a wall. They were always together. I never saw the man without the woman & vice versa. They never gave me a bad vibe either.
As I grew older I've heard voices, had things moved. Heard footsteps. Just subtle things really, but whoever they are they're making them selfs known lol.
There are loads more but I'd be here all day 😆
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-01)
Hi Chantelle

Thanks for posting these experiences, and good to hear your son is on the upward path to recovery. You write very well so I was able to immerse myself in this hospital, and your experiences.

One of the questions that often arises for me, when examining spirit / ghost interactions, is WHY do they do what they do?

The humming lullaby could well have been a "residual haunting"; that is when an event (often traumatic, but not always) is somehow imprinted in the ether around us and gets replayed to, or experienced by, a flesh and blood human. However, it could also have been a spirit deciding to hum a lullaby in your vicinity, but why?

The flushing toilets and tap turning trick is one that seems to be a relatively common theme in supernatural encounters. If taken for granted that it must require a lot of energy, skill, determination for spirits to interact with this material plane, then then for me the question again arises; why? Why would a spirit go to the trouble of turning on taps, and flushing toilets for another persons benefit?

Surely if they wanted to scare someone, they could do a good old fashioned materialization, or hurl objects around. Flushing a crapper is a bit...well, lame? I agree that the subsequent whispering in your ear is turning it up to another level though. If this spirits desire was to simply frighten you then, well done you invisible a-hole!🙄

My questions don't require answers; I'm merely expressing equal parts of puzzlement and wonder at this kind of phenomenon that we currently Earth-bound humans struggle to understand the mechanics of.

Have you ever had any other kind of psychic experiences/ interactions prior to this hospital stay?

Regards

Mack
Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-01)
Thanks for sharing that, Chaningham91. It must have been a very difficult time for you but I'm sure the future for you and your son is brighter! So many difficult emotions in hospitals, no wonder so many are haunted.
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-01)
Hi Chaningham91

Welcome and I pray that your son makes a full recovery.

Hospitals generally will have restless spirits, thankfully your experiences weren't malevolent in nature.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: