You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Black Mist

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Mist

 

I have already posted a few stories involving the house I grew up in and the resident spirit nicknamed "George". My two brothers and father still live there. The following incident was experienced by my brothers about 3 years ago.

A quick description of the house location and layout:

The house is located in a very rural area, no neighbors on either side and surrounded by woods. The driveway is approximately 800 feet long. If you didn't know what to look for, you'd drive right by it and miss the house. It was great growing up in the country (I still visit and live in a rural area myself now). The house is best described as an old farmhouse. Full basement, 2 stories and large full attic (which makes it about 3 stoies). It's a typical 2 story house layout; Upon entering the front door, there is an entryway on the right, on the left is the living room, which is quite long. Since I moved out (about 20 years ago), my father installed a wood burner to save on heating bills and it's located in the second half of the living room closer to the front of the house. Past that (there is no wall) is the "actual" living room area with the couch, TV, etc. There is a long, wide hallway between the living room and entryway which leads to the kitchen. The basement door is off the kitchen.

Back to the incident. My brothers at the time were 30 and 27. My brother who was 30 at the time seems to be more sensitive to spirit. I'll refer to him as D. My brother who was 27, does not like discussing what happens in the house and sometimes ignores the conversations regarding the house activities. I'll call him J.

I'll relate the story as told to me by D and J.

It was around mid afternoon, still daylight out and they were watching TV in the living room together. My father wasn't home. J in the recliner, facing the TV. D, sort of half laying on the sofa, with his back to the armrest to see the TV from his spot. To the right of the recliner is the sofa. Behind and to the right of the sofa is the hallway and stairway. D caught something out of the corner of his eye, above the sofa by his head. He described a large black mist. The edges were misty, while the inside was solid black. It was moving very slowly above the couch along the wall. D said he was stunned for a second and quickly turned to see if J saw it. He described J's face as pure white, eyes wide open, mouth open, staring at the black mist too. D turned back to the mist and said quietly "J you see it, right?" J - "Yep". The mist got halfway along the couch (there is a wall behind the couch) and D started to feel angry instead of scared. Angry because he felt that George was trying to frighten them. He jumped up when the mist was almost to the end of the couch and the mist sped up and shot down behind the couch. D looked over the back of the couch and saw nothing. D looked back at J, who said "What the hell was that?" D said he didn't know.

There was no other explanation. As I stated previously, J doesn't like to talk about the activities but because this was experienced with D, he will talk about it in a nonchalant manner, stating the facts as he saw it. I have talked to both separately and the details remain the same. It was just a strange ordeal that so far hasn't happened again. Although I wonder if it was George attempting to manifest as my mother, my father and myself have seen him as a shadow figure.

Other hauntings by CuriousDee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CuriousDee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
Val,

That site is great! It explains the where, what, how and who in laymen's terms. I'm excited to start digging. Thank you!
😊

- Dee
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
You can try this:
Http://www.oldhouseguy.com/researching-your-house/
Read under the subtitle: Don't stop now - Research Previous Residents of your House. It has some interesting tips.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as researching a home's history? I would like to learn more about my parents house, but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice, suggestions, information, etc is gratefully appreciated. Thank you 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
Jubeele, thanks for reading and commenting. I feel the same regarding spirit attempting to manifest and only producing the black mist. In this situation, I think George was more blatant in his attempts for attention.

As far as communicating with George; I have gone there alone and while family was there to speak out loud to him regarding his actions, expectations (what is allowed), and point blank telling him about moving on. I always communicated this calmly and respectfully. As time goes by, George seems less active. Just when you think he's moved on, something happens.

I have been waiting to submit my encounter with George where I saw and communicated with him. I have to sort of prepare myself mentally and emotionally because it happened shortly after my mother's death and was quite traumatizing all around.

Again, thanks for reading and your input, I greatly appreciate it ❤
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
CuriousDee, this George sounds like a real handful. I've heard that shadow people could be entities lacking the energy to fully manifest. I wonder if George thought better of it when D and J made it clear they weren't about to be scared by its antics.

I've read your other accounts about your active childhood home. If your resident spirits are too mischievous, your family may need to regularly cleanse and bless the place so as to ensure that boundaries are respected. This will ensure that they co-exist more peacefully with your family.

On occasion, I've been in places that have felt distinctly "off". I would then speak aloud in a firm tone (or in my mind) that I don't want any trouble and could they please behave while I'm around, thank you. Whatever the reason, that seems to work for me. 😉

I enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thanks for sharing them. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: