You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Bumps in the Night

Real Ghost Stories

Bumps in the Night

 

I was in my room when all of a sudden I hear this thumping noise over my head that sounded like a cane hitting the floor, but we don't have an attic so there shouldn't be a noise above my head. I called my mom to come into the hall, she was in her room, but when she did, the noise would stop (this happened about three times before it stopped). She said she didn't hear anything except the clock ticking, so when she back into her bedroom, the noise started again, it was louder than before.

That night when I told her what I heard, she said that there was an old woman who lived here before us that would walk with a cane, after hearing that I got the chills. I started to think of ways that noise could have been made, maybe it was a squirrel, but it was too late for squirrels to be out, so I thought that it might have been something else, but I just couldn't think of anything that would work ,I really didn't know what it was.

So ever since then I been thinking that it was the lady that my mom told me about just telling me that she was still there, so she probably didn't mean to scare just to let me know.

I think that it was the old lady. What do you think it was?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Snowcaps01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NotOneOfUs (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-02)
Honestly... It's never too late for squirrels. Knocking acorns and stuff from trees, rolling into the gutter. Very noisy.

However, if the meter of the noises was evenly spaced, then that might be a different story.

Either way, sounds like nothing to be worried about.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
Hi Snowcaps01. I really couldn't say what this noise could have been but I do know that at night you ARE more aware of all the different noises a house can make. It does say a lot about you that you tried to debunk the noise before thinking it was a ghost. Do you ever hear strange, unexplainable noises during the day? If you are hearing this noise at the same time and in the same way, it is probably a residual haunting. Do some more investigating and see if you can't figure it out. If you can't figure out a logical explaination than it may be a ghost or just residual haunting.

SHELBY 😊 ❤
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
HIya Snowcap, definatly scary. But I believe the old woman was just letting you know she was there and that was her house. I like your story and I think its really interesting to hear from you. Please write again. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
You know what I love, Snowcaps? That you tried to debunk this experience by yourself before posting it to this site. That really does say a lot about you.
I personally feel that what you had experienced was a residual haunting. In that there is no ghost, just a film of some point in time playing out on the atmosphere of the attic in your home.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Whatever it is (or was) I am certain it just wanted your awarenes. I would agree with Frawin, check for the noises in the day time as well. See what you hear and can logically eliminate from them first.

Thanks for sharing your story!
God Bless!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hello Snowcap. One thing to keep in mind is that you pay more attention to the sounds a house makes at night than you do during the day. Even if you rule out natural causes, I wouldn't worry too much-if it is paranormal it is probably residual in nature. Thak you for sharing your story, I enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hey snowcap, I don't know what that really was? I could be the old lady, or mabey it was some kind of animal? Mabey you should try and communicate with the lady next time you see her. 😉
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hi snowcap. Well this could be the lady or it again can be explained. It might haven been mice or rats in your attic. There are so many possibilities and explanations. But I didn't hear it so I can't explain it. I see that you can't explain it either. So there is something going on, but what? A little investigation wouldn't hurt. Try checking what's up there during the day. You might something. I like your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: