You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Ghost That Carries The Lantern

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost That Carries The Lantern

 

I'm in this band, and we thought that it was about time to take some band photos. So, we go up to my driveway and we're standing under this large street light hanging over the top part of my driveway.

I set up the camera on the tripod, and we were going to stand at this fence we have up there surrounding our junkyard which was down like a small cliff, maybe about ten feet down. Well, we have our junkyard there, and down below it is a valley which is full of woods and stuff. We have this path that runs through it.

Heather, our singer said she was seeing something in the path down there; it was dark out, by the way. Then our lead guitarist Sean said "You see it too?" I thought it was just a street light off in the distance. So I walk over and look at it and it looked like someone was standing in the path with a lantern but it kept going off and coming back on. Then it slowly started to move.

So we watched it, and Sean and I take Heather to the house and tell her to stay there. We grabbed flashlights and knives, because we didn't know if it was someone out there who was crazy or something. We go out into the path. We start walking and it's starting to come up a storm. We're standing there, surrounded by the woods, and in the silence, I call out. "Hello?" As soon as I finished saying this, lightning filled the sky. Sean joked and said he had seen too many horror movies to know that this was a stupid idea. So, we continued on down the path throughout the woods, and we ended up where we had seen this lantern type thing earlier, but it was gone. That's when we heard heavy footsteps running through the woods. We followed them out of the trail, but we didn't find anything.

Down near the bottom of this large hill I live on, is this old trailer deep in the woods no one has lived in for years, so we thought if anything was out there, it probably made a run for that trailer, so we went out that way and crossed over the barbed wire fence.

We were about to head towards the trailer, but then we saw the lantern shape thing again. And it was moving. We followed it for a little but it went away again. So we stopped. I turned back to look at Sean. He was looking down at the ground and said he thought he heard something hit the ground beside him, so we both look up.

Through a few trees we see the floating orange ball of light that looked like it was inside a lantern floating there, five feet away form us. Now, my grandfather works for the mines, so I had a high powered mining light, and I shined it over there, but there was nothing holding it up. It was just this orange glowing light hovering in the air.

It got brighter and then faded out once more only to reappear farther away from us.

There was no way something could have run from us as far as this thing got without making a sound. We wanted to keep chasing it, but we were coming upon a part of the woods where we had seen a lot of snakes in the past so we decided to just get out of there.

So, we walked back up to the spot where we were taking pictures to see if we could see it from up there again, but we couldn't. It was then when we noticed it hovering over in my backyard, it faded out again, and then quickly shot back off down the hill.

It was very exciting coming so close to this ball of light that looked like it was in a lantern. And I found out they used to mine for coal under my junkyard, and there were a fair number of deaths down there, so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.

I hope you enjoyed my story.

Other hauntings by Kevan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kevan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Interesting story! At least you know it was a gentle, playful spirit. If it wasn't friendly, you'd have found out fast! 😁 ❤
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
My mom and dad always tell us stories about the little glowing light that floats far far away when they were in Laos. They said the light glows 20 to 50 yards away but as you try to move closer, the light moves further away from you. In Hmong (Group of people), we called it "Da Chao." It means a light creature who only appear on a certain time when the weather is perfect will light so bright in the deep forest. My parents said it does not appear in crowded cities or suburbans, it only appear in the forest or rural areas. My parents said the in the Hmong Legend you can never reach that glowing light because if you do the creature will kill you and your family until it extinct. My parents said there was a family accidentally trespass the thing's territory and was haunted and got ill until they converted to Christianity.

What to know email me at aherr.ameriplan [at] live.com
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Well, that's interesting. It's always best when there are multiple witnesses who BOTH see the same thing. Physical manifestations are better indicators of something going on than auditory ones--especially when more than one person sees the same thing.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
To Cash98. Thanks for commenting.
To ChrisB. Yeah, I really wish I would have taken a camera with us out there.
To luvparanormal. You never know, there's a lot of things in this world that go way beyond rational thinking. It could have been these elves your grandfather spoke of, but I don't know.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
When I was a little girl I remember my grandfather telling us stories of little Elfs that would play with you in the woods and they would do exactly what you discribed in your story they would show a light that looked like a lantern and then they would disapear and show up some other place and then you would end up getting lost and they would just do it as being playfull. That was the story that my grandpa told me don't know if true or not but it reminded me of iy. Thanks for sharing that was a good one. You guys are brave to go out and see what it was. Be carefull.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
That sure was a scary story. You guys sure had a lot of nerves to go through all this. Thanks for sharring this story with us. Too bad you didn't take any pictures. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
cash98 (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Cool story got to go to bed now 12:01am lol bye bye

peace and luck be with you
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
diyanuh. I don't know, it could be possible that is was harriet tubbman.
Diyanuh (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
well maybe it the ghost of harriet tubman you know how she would hold a lantern with light in it and like put her hand over it to send signals and how she would start running out of nowhere... I'm not saying this is the real expanation but it could be true
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
To shada. I will keep you updated.
To. Biemaster. Your welcome for the explanation.
To.Bellissima. Yeah, I saw the front end just go over it, and it was a pretty hard thud. But yes, the white dog was fairly large. Thanks for commenting.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
Hi Kevan. The white dog you hit with your car is interesting to me. Did you actually feel the car hit the dog?I've heard a few stories similar to that involving a white or black dog, usually a large breed. Thanks for your story, I enjoyed reading it. I think you are probably right about the light belonging to a miner, I'm sure there are many souls lost and wandering around the mine.It's a sad thing.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
Thanks for the explanation Kevan. I understood it now! Thanks!
Biemaster
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Awesome story! It's always good to know that something is on your side. Keep us updated!
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
to Elahie. Actually, it may be possible. About three months ago I was riding with my friend Josh, and we were going to my house, well, we came up to the old pig silos which is pretty close to my house, and this big white dog ran out in front of us. Now there is no way we missed him, because we hit it, hard. So we stopped and got out to see if anything had happened to the car, but there wasn't even a scratch on it. And the dog was nowhere to be seen at all.
Elahie (3 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
once my grandmother and her friend went to the shop and when the were coming baq they saw a big white dog with a lantern in the mouth and there was no current in those days so they followed it thu the woods up to there house and they never saw it after that but hers and yours wasn't the same lantern most likely, good story
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
To Tonith. Thanks for commenting. Yeah, it was really strange to see it in a lantern form. I just hope whatever it is is friendly, because I'm kind of starting to think it was leading us away from the danger as well.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Great story. I found the orange ball interesting but mostly that it looked like it was inside a lantern that is the strange part. Orbs are seen a lot but rarely are they incased in something. The fact that it went from the junkyard to your backyard is even more interesting. Maybe it was leading you away from the danger of snakes. All mines have cave ins at one time or the other so it's possible this orange ball is the spirit of such a person. Again the latern type thing brings a new dimension to the usual orb.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
to biemaster. Sorry for the confusion. Glad you like the story. The valley that we were in is connected to my junkyard, and they used to mine under my junkyard, so the entrance to the mine was somewhere in the valley we were in, but after they finished mining there, they sealed it back in. So all of the tunnels are still under my junkyard, we just don't know where the entrance is.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Wow really cool and awesome story! This is also going to my favorites. If I were in your place, I too would have kept exploring the place! I just got confused at one part. Are you trying to say that the woods were actually a mine or mines before? I felt like that becasue at numerous times, you have talked about mines and mine lights. Please, can you explain that part to me again? Thanks a lot and great story!
Biemaster
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
To rhodes. Yeah, it really got my heart pumping, but it was fun. I've looked out towards where we saw it since then, but I haven't seen it. It could be a number of things though. The miner thing, that and several people had been killed in or around my woods in the last 50 years. So, I don't really know what it could have been, but I think it wanted us to follow it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Hi Kevan and thanks for the experience shared. I really enjoyed it!

It must have been a scary night for all of you. I don't suppose you saw the light again in the same area.

Hope to read more from you.

Take care
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-14)
Thanks Jennifer. Were the lights you saw orange, or were they a different color?
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
I absolutely loved this story. It will be going into my favorites. You did exactly what I have done, and that is to explore and see what it is that is causing that light. I once saw lights in a cemetary like that. I had a witness as well. Very freaky!

Jennifer ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: