You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Piano Plays On

Real Ghost Stories

The Piano Plays On

 

There is a small little town near Dora that's called "Old Dora" mainly because back in the day, it was the place to be, complete with stores a library, a methodist church, and even a train station. Over the years though, people began to build buildings farther away from it. And eventually it became ran down and abandoned. Over the course of the last 30 years. Buildings have been torn down, if they haven't already collapsed, and only a handful of places remain, including the methodist church, train station, library, and the furniture store.

The concrete wall supporting the railroad tacks is now a giant mural, covered in spray painted artwork from years past and years present, even me and my friends who claim Old Dora for ourselves have left our mark there. Most of the time we go up there at night and go into some of the old buildings to try and make contact with spirits who visited there, worked there, etc. Well, the church has always been locked. And there was no way to possibly get in without breaking in. But I wasn't about to break into a church. One night, me and my friends were doing our usual round, and that's when we noticed the door was standing open on the bottom floor. See, the bottom floor is near the main road which is still occasionally used, but the second floor is near the road of Old Dora, and it's up above the main road.

I looked at my watch. It was 11:37 p.m. and everyone was talking about finally getting to go inside. I felt a little bad about going in, just some weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. But we eventually walked inside. A bunch of debris lay scattered everywhere, and the bottom floor was huge. I walked around a little bit and noticed an old piano leaned against the back wall, I played a little tune on it, then my friend noticed the stairs going up to the top floor. I walked over to the group, consisting of four people including myself and we started to go up the rounding stairs.

Suddenly from up there another piano began to play, and play well. But we freaked out and got out of there. The next night we decided to go back. We thought maybe someone had broken in and when they heard us down there, they tried to scare us away. So we walked back there, the clock nearing midnight. The door was now closed. We walked over and tried it, and the door was unlocked. So we walked inside and started back towards the steps. We stopped for a minute and gazed at them, twisting upwards so that you couldn't see what was up there. My friend walked over to the other piano that was near the back wall and played a little tune. He stopped and we listened for a minute. Nothing happened so we decided to go on up.

We got to where the stairs twist then soft piano music began to play up there. Two of my friends ran back down but me and Sean continued on. We found the piano. A large, black grand piano sitting against the wall nearest the stairs. Only no one was there. I stared down in horror to see the key being pressed down by invisible hands. Me and Sean left when we saw that, we stopped out on the street and the piano music echoed out onto the street. Finally it stopped as we began to walk away.

Until this day we can't explain what was going on, but sometimes when you walk up there around midnight, you can hear soft piano music coming from the old church.

Other hauntings by Kevan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kevan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Collin395 (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Maybe it was someone who wasn't appreciated for playing the piano. Maybe he tried out to play for the church but he didn't make it. And when he saw you guys he started playing. I don't know, just a thought
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
to francois, Yeah, we looked up some of the history of the place and it was the setting of a pretty decent amount of funeral masses. We also think it might be whoever payed the piano fro the church as well, we're not sure, we check the place out whenever we get the chance

To Twilightkiss, I'm glad you liked it
Twilightkiss (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
This story is both creepy and inspirational. I hope to one day visit this place. Thanks for sharing,-twilightkiss ❤
Francois (220 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
Greetings,

Hello Kevan, I believe it was an actual haunting and not at trick, possibly due to the church's history of funerals or funeral masses in which the spirit is released from the body and given entrance to the heavens.

Aside from that, maybe a former minister still guards his church even after death. But whosoever played the paino in your ghostly experience was probably a regular church member with a lot of talent.

A spirit tries its best to defend its abode and maybe that is why the entity tried to scare your friends and you away.
Thank you for sharing your story with us.
God bless, deus vobiscum and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
wow that scared me... 😨 if I was you I would of got out of there the sooner the better and not set foot in there again

bye ❤ 😊
Zagrebacki_Lovac (18 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
HOPE I never go there its realy creepy but it probably won't do you any harm.PROBABLY!
It doesn't mean you can just get there and be the whole night
there.

BEST OF LUCK 😊
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
To David. We were a little scared when we first went inside because one, there could have been a burglar inside, and two, we didn't know if the place was haunted or not. But when I ran up there and saw the keys moving on their own, I was pretty horrified, so we just got out of there a fast as we could
davidparker (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
I was very fascinated by this one... 😲 Were you frightened by the experience?
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Dear Kevan,

Just because a door is open does not mean it is an invitation to anyone to go inside nor does it mean you or the others you were with had to choose to do so. With every choice is a consequence.

As for the pianos playing by themselves and scaring all of you, that in itself should have been a hint for all of you to leave. Not to mention the fact, you already had a warning in the pit of your stomach that you should have paid intuitive and sixth sense attention to. It's there for that purpose. Use it or lose it.

If someone was playing a joke on you and your friends than that was played out as meant to be. There are always consequences, whether a joke or a ghostly scare.

Well, at the very least, it makes for a musical, ghost story. :)

Remember, as ghostbusters and ghost investigators, please get permission first, before entering private or even public property.

Be safe and not sorry. Happy ghost hunting everyone.--Abby
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
It sounds to me as if there is a tie for some entity to the church and the piano. It is obvious they still wish to play on., that may be where they found happiness and peace. I do hope in time they are able to move on and find true peace and continment.

God Bless!
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
I completely understand, sorry if I came off as a jerk or something like that.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
I am not saying that, that was what happened. Just a thought. It could have very well been a spirit playing the piano. I just like to elimenate all possible outside influences. I also thank you for taking the time to answer my post to your story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
True, some one could have been playing a joke, but it seems weird that someone would go through all the trouble to do that. Also, I don't know how they would have had time to set it all up it being the first time we'd ever been there, but thanks for listening.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
It is possible and I am not saying that it is what happened, but someone might have been playing a trick on you, wouldn't be to hard to rig a piano to appear to play when it really not. Some fishing line and a tape recorder. 😉 Now on the other hand maybe a true spirit did inhabit the old church and was none to happy to have it's home invaded by a bunch of kids. You never know. Thanks Kevan for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: