You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Think My Daycare Is Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

I Think My Daycare Is Haunted

 

I work in a daycare in West Chester, Ohio. The director of the daycare wants us to keep these things on the "down-low," because they are afraid that the parents will pull their children out of the daycare, but I am so interested in everything that has happened that I have to share.

The first odd thing I experienced while working at the daycare happened about a year ago. One Friday night a month, two employees work what we call "Parents Night Out." We work from 8-midnight, and usually have around 5 or less kids. Well, my co-worker at the time, Katie, and I put a movie on for the 2 kids we had that night. They both fell asleep before 11.

The room we were in was right next to the kitchen and there is a big open (glass free) window that connects the room to the kitchen. We both heard the sound of things falling in the kitchen, like utensils, or dishes or something. We both freaked out, because it was late, and no one else was there.

I decided to go into the kitchen, thinking, maybe something just fell over. However, there was nothing on the floor or on the counters. Everything was in place and put away.

I didn't really have anything happen after that night until this past April. I worked Parents Night Out again. This time, it was with my co-worker Sarah. We stayed in the same room as before. That night we had 5 children. One was a baby, and I told Sarah that I was going to go get a crib for him, since the baby room is on the other side of the building. I carried the baby along with me.

When I entered the baby room, all seemed normal. The cribs have wheels on them, so I went and grabbed one, and started wheeling it toward the door. Just as I was about to leave the room, one of baby swings started swinging. I breathed in really quickly, stopped in my tracks, and put my hand up to my mouth. I was so afraid. I didn't know what to do. Finally, I grabbed the crib and kept going. I clutched the baby to my body with my other arm, and about ran down the hall to the original room.

When I returned to the room, Sarah could see that I was shaking, and breathing heavily. I told her what happened, and we both decided to not leave the room again until the end of the night. When that time finally came, we left through the front door. Along the back of the side of the building are the playgrounds and two gates to separate them. I saw that both the gates were open, even though I know for a FACT that I had shut them before Sarah and I went into the building.

The following Monday, another co-worker, Amanda confirmed that she also had a similar experience while in the building for Parents Night Out. She looked at me and asked, "When did the swing start moving? Was it right as you were leaving?" I was stunned. It wasn't just my imagination.

I decided that I was never doing another Parents Night Out. I had never experienced anything creepy during the day, so I was never scared at work usually. However, this past month, the children have been seeing a lot of things. I work with toddlers around the age of two.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my kids was sitting on the potty. We have a bathroom inside of our classroom and its right next to the kitchen area. I was sweeping while she sat in the bathroom. I heard her strike up a conversation. Thinking another child was in there with her, I turn around and look. She is sitting on the toilet, chatting away, and staring up toward her left, as if someone were standing by the toilet. However, no one is there. I say, "Payton, who are you talking to?" She looks back to her left and says, "Someone," but never says more than that.

Last week, a boy in my class was lying on his cot during nap time. Sarah, the same co-worker I did Parents Night Out with, also teaches in this room with me. We were talking while the kids were settling down on their cots. We both stop at the same time and look over at Aidan. He has his arms stretched out, toward the bathroom, and he's saying, "Please come here. Please. Please come here..." We break his attention and ask who he is talking to. He only points toward the bathroom.

Yesterday, Payton (the same girl that was sitting on the potty) was lying on her cot toward the back of our room. I was sitting in a chair in the kitchen right next to the bathroom. I see Payton start waving. Thinking she is waving at me, I wave back. She keeps waving. I ask, "Payton, are you waving at me?" She shakes her head no.

Today is the last thing I'm going to write about. My co-worker Amanda claims that she was walking down the hall toward her room, which is the baby room. In that hallway, she passed our room, and then the room next to us. The room next to ours was vacant, because the children were napping in another room (some classes combine for nap). She was holding one of the babies, which also happened to be her child. She said that he looked into the vacant room, and started smiling. As they passed the doorway, he about jumped out of her arms, reaching for someone, although no one was there.

I'm afraid but very interested at the same time. I want to know if there truly is a haunting or if we are all just crazy and looking into everything too much.

Other hauntings by rstahley

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rstahley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Thank you for the comments. I appreciate them.

ElectricTNT,

Thanks for your comment. I think I will try that. The internet didn't give me any information, and so I will try the library. I appreciate your help.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi rstahley

If you have the time and wish to find out about the property, try the public library. Ask to see the "city directory". They are published yearly and list properties by address. They list the owners of the property and if commercial, list the use of the property. You can go back yearly to see what changes have taken place.

If you find something of interest, you can then run the property or names that you have found connected to the property, through the local newspaper archives (usually also at the library). Run a search through the search function with names or addresses, looking for news articles pertaining to the property or persons connected to the property.

I was in law enforcement and this is how we would find a great deal of information needed for investigations. A great deal of info can be found in this manner.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I enjoyed reading it. I have to say that believing in what the children are saying is a good thing. They can see more then adults can. Usually they can be joking but we must remeber that being such a young age they would never probably hear of spirits. And that is one thing we must keep in mind. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hello rstahley. With all the children that are there I can certainly see where it could be "haunted". Children have a higher sensitivity than adults to the paranormal. From the sound of it you don't have anything to worry about, it's friendly, get use to it. Take Care.

FRAWIN
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Dear rstahley,

Excellent story, it is a great example of an intelligent haunting. This story reminds me of an episode of Extreme Ghost Stories, in the episode a veteran police officer and a psychic investigate an active daycare facility and get the scare of their lives, the owner of the daycare reported children seeing things and toys moving and also seeing a negative dark mass approaching her. Although in her case, she had a demon and not a spirit.

Your case seems to have more than 1 entity I believe. Probably a positive and a negative entity due to the utensils falling and the children feeling attached to a certain entity. I am not sure if the 2 are actually one. I wish you the best of luck in solving the daycare problem.

If you have any clairvoyant friends, I encourage you to let them investigate the area, but make sure they are qualified so as not to harm themselves or any other person in the building. Who really knows what lurks in the darkness?

Thank you for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois 😁
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
YOu should dig. Is there any place in the day care you can dig in? Maybe you discover bones or something like that.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
I guess I never thought about it that way. If the presence is scary, the children would not be asking it to come to them. They wouldn't be waving to it or trying to go to it, so I do feel comforted knowing that. After talking to another employee, I discovered that she had seen something. She saw a child run from one room to the baby room. She cleans in the evening when no one else is there, so I'm wondering if it's a child, or if there is more than one spirit.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi rstahley,

Children are very aware of outside forces that we as adults seem closed off to. It is believed that spirits are attracted to the energy the living emit. Babies/toddlers/young children are in no doubt a magnet as they combine all of this in one. From the sound of your story I feel that whatever is in your building, it's not trying to scare you but to make you aware of its presence. After all, children are a great judge of character, if they are afraid or upset in any way they will let the grown ups know in a hurry.
That said, for your own peace of mind, I think I would take my Friday nights off!

Sarah.
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Children usually see spirits when we don't. I don't know why this is but I've heard in many instances that this has been the case. I think that this spirit is a caring one and wants to help care for the children. If you wish to understand more ask the owner about it and also research the ground and what it was used as.

Thanks for sharing an intresting story, love to hear more and good luck in finding out what is going on.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
An invisible hand 'rocking the cradle' cannot possibly wish to harm a baby despite your very well justified concern. As it happens when one of you is about to leave, it's probable that the unseen presence there wants to take up your role.

Trust the children and their amazing intuitive abilities-they see what we usually don't and since they seem 'pleased' with the 'carer', try to control your fear.

I'd be looking into the history of the day-care center; find out about past employees or mothers passing on. If you can ask any old staff, that would be even better.

Good luck and do come back as soon as you acquire more info.

Thanks for a very well-told story.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
I would really like to research the history of the land. The daycare itself is only 3 years old, but I don't know what was there before, and I've only worked there for a year and a few months. I don't know how to research the history of it or where to go, so if anyone has any suggestions on how, let me know. Also, the director has not shared any experiences, so I'm assuming she hasn't had any, but then again she may just not be sharing.

Thanks for the comments!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Hello and wlecome to YGS. You should definitely get some more info about the history of the day care. What was the land used for before the child care was there? Who has worked there that may have passed away? Things like that. I hope to here updates from you soon. ❤ jasmin
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Are you aware if any past employee of the day care or even a parent of a day care child passed on? It sounds as if the experiences you are all having is of some one that is there wanting to assist in caring for the children.

I would be very interested to know if there is any history behind this.

Does the owner who wishes to keep this quiet have any experiences?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: