You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Night Terrors At 3 am

Real Ghost Stories

Night Terrors At 3 am

 

This is my second story on this web site. To be honest, I'm not even completely sure if what I'm about to type was truly a paranormal experience, but I have my theory. My husband and I have been living in the same apartment complex for about two years now. Nothing paranormal has happened. I don't think my apartment is haunted. However, I had something strange happen a few weeks ago.

I am usually a restless sleeper. My husband can tell you... I've hurt him a few times. I wake up a lot in the middle of the night. However, when this happens, I usually just roll over and go back to sleep... No problem.

Well, one night, a few weeks ago (a Sunday night) I woke up at 3 in the morning. I woke up with the most terrifying fear, and had no idea what I was afraid of. I was so frightened, I couldn't even close my eyes to attempt to go back to sleep. I was seriously about to cry, but I didn't want to wake up my husband. What would I say to him? So I just laid awake for an hour, and finally around 4, I was able to put my horrible feelings aside and go to sleep.

Now, nothing supernatural happened during this hour... I was just so afraid. I thought maybe I was just being a "scaredy-cat" and tried not to think about it the next day. However, it happened again the next night, and then the night after that. The Thursday night of that week was the first night that it didn't happen, and it hasn't happened since then.

It wasn't until last week that I searched the Internet to see if 3am had meaning. I thought that it did, but wasn't sure. The internet said it was the Devil's Hour.

So, I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with my faith. I have been a Christian since I was a child, and I used to be very "devout..." I went to church every Sunday, even though I was the only one in my household that went, prayed constantly, and read the Bible every night. Somewhere between then and now, I fell away. I mean, I'm still a Christian, but I changed. I rarely make it to church, I feel obligated to read the Bible, I cuss, occasionally get drunk... etc.

Well, I've been feeling guilty, and lately I've been trying to get back to where I was, to live for God, and I've always heard that Satan will come after you when you are doing things like that, because he doesn't want you to succeed. Granted, nothing horrible happened these nights, but the fear I had was immense and came from no where. Maybe it was just coincidence, but maybe not.

Other hauntings by rstahley

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rstahley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Thanks for the comment Jeff. I have not had any more trouble with waking up at 3am and I hope that you can find peace at night as well.
jeff (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
I too frequently woke up EXACTLY at 3AM every night... It got to the point that I didn't even have to look at the clock anymore--I just knew it was 3AM! I also experienced severe night terrors, the worst of which was the feeling of a heavy weight on my body which totally incapacitated me... I believe this is often called "the old hag" in folklore. I now believe this may be associated with my severe sleep apnea. For the past 4 years I have been taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication which enables me to sleep through the entire night. No more 3AM wakeups! I do still however continue to occasionally experience the night terror episodes but the "old hag" experiences seem to have gone away--it is also possible that the meds have enabled me to sleep through them. I would be curious if anyone else who has been experiencing these issues also suffers from sleep apnea? I would greatly appreciate your stories!
Leela (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
Hello, I have similar experiences in my life. But more disturbing. In most European countries 3 am is evil time. My story is named My Time In France and I'll be glad if you will read that. Anyway good luck in life in the US.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Thank you Lisa, and you may be right about the panic attacks. I do have anxiety issues, although I've never, or thought I had never had actual panic attacks, but maybe I am having them and not knowing it.
MDK94 (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
good story. And here are a few words to remember " No matter what it is you are doing, pour all your faith into it"
Secret (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
i heard people who are chosen wake up at 3am. Did you kno most heartattacks, deaths, and strange happenings happen at 3am? Hope your ok

God Bless 😳 😉 😊
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
From the way you describe the events, it seems that you've been having panic attacks -- especially since you've made a connection between the feeling (terror/fear) and a bit of guilt about your lapsed Christianity. That "guilt" you feel may be a little divine nudge to start you growing again, but I hope that you're not dwelling on it in an unhealthy way. After all, "... All are sinners and have fallen short of the glory of the Lord..." (Romans 3:23) The important thing is that we recognize our own frailty; and then dedicate ourselves to trying to do better (be more loving, more forgiving, more empathetic, more sympathetic, etc.) from that moment onward.

As a seminary student, I am heartily glad to hear that you're interested in improving your relationship with our Creator; and if you are earnest in your desire, I hope that you will seriously consider seeking out a SUPPORTIVE environment where you can express, examine and grow in your Christian faith. Eight years ago, I was in a position similar to yours, and began the journey which has brought so much joy, meaning and healing to my life. May God bless you as you continue your journey. You will be in my prayers.
❤ Lisa
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
"If you think about it though it's always 3am somewhere in the world. Do the bad vibes just ride the timeline?"
- burning_flame

Hahaha, good one, flame. What about daylight savings, do the demons change their watches too?

The witching hour is nothing more than a medieval superstitious belief. Incidentally the 'hour' includes any time between mid-night and 3am.

However, it does seem that ghosts are more active during the night. Why that is I don't know.

Perhaps it is just that more people are looking for ghosts at night while they mostly ignore odd events during the day. Naturally that would also mean that more people are mistaking natural events for unatural ones.

"It is in this religion we believe in the Bible and what is written in it..."
- ChrisB

Not all Christian's follow the bible to the letter. It is subject to interpretation.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Desireemarie I realy hope you don't feel like I'm attacking but all I wanted is to show you a little background of this religion. I hope you didn't feel like I was attacking. But if that is the case then I apologize. But I only got the feeling that you were attacking this religion. But if indeed that wasn't your intention again I must apologize (I guess I'm sdaying that a lot now 😁) I know you ment no harm and that goes with me to. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
No, you didn't have a paranormal experience but it was an experience nevertheless. Bellissima said it best - Follow your heart.
Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
I want to thank everyone for thier comments. I appreciate all of the advice and concern I've received after posting this story. I do feel that God loves me the same as always, but that personally I would like to try harder to get closer to him. And like I said, it hasn't happened since, and maybe it was something I was subconsiously doing to myself (the fear.) Anyway, thank you again for the comments.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Hi rstahley.You've described something very personal. Where your faith is concerned, follow your heart. I think you've answered your own worries and you'll find the way that will give you comfort and put your anxieties to rest. You sound sensitive and sensible, trust in yourself and everything will work out for you.We'll be thinking about you 😊.
Desireemarie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Chris B, I surely didn't mean any offense to you at all. Wish you the best.
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
I wouldn't concern yourself too much; you're imagination may be running away with you I think. I think you just had a nightmare. Dead Time, devils hour, witching hour, whatever you want to call it hour. Its a psychological paradox. It is supposedly representative of the opposite hour that Jesus died because that was supposedly 3pm. If you think about it though it's always 3am somewhere in the world. Do the bad vibes just ride the timeline? No! Its a nasty little legend. The most damage this concept can do is to cause fear which normally wouldn't be there. Its just another hour. What makes it not just another hour would be you developing an unnatural apprehension about it, thus feeding your fear. Just take care of yourself and stay rational. All the best.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Hi Desireemarie. I believe that people who choose to be christians are not hard on them selves but try to fallow Christ. It is in this religion we believe in the Bible and what is written in it. We fallow the commadments and when we don't then we have a sin. The more we sin the more we feel bad. I guess that is the case. I don't think there is a point in talking about religion realy. I believe that people may believe in what they want. I don't want to sound like a saint here but all I want is for rstasdhely is to feel better. It is advise I want to give but if it is good advice I don't know! All I hope is that she finds peace and I bet she wants that too.
Desireemarie (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Hmm...I still wonder why people are so hard on themselves about being a Christian. What religion was Jesus? The woods in nature can be our church if we choose. Religion doesn't matter and certainly if you suddenly stopped going to church, God won't love you less, what kind of God would? Its absurd how the "church" has put so much fear in people that an all loving God would do what he does to people that are truly good even if they aren't "saved" or don't do this or that or this, they will be punished. Hahahaha Anyway, you sound like a great person and your temple is your heart and soul, that will always be intact no matter where you go or what church you decide to attend. This experience you've had happens A LOT and its happened to myself on two occasions lasting off and on for about a month. We must remember about "time" that when its 3 am where we are its 9 pm somewhere else, time is a tricky thing. I wouldn't worry about the devil. More or less from what I've researched, it could be... A) We are sick and circumstances barring the room may be really hot and your sweaty and when your body temperature rises, nightmares are more prevolent and you may have woken up from a nightmare you don't remember but were left with the fear of it. B) Ghostly "spirits" whatever they may be are forms of energy and can give off negative energy. In some cases, people experience things like this and maybe along with other ghostly experiences come to the conclusion they have a haunting. I would make sure you just get plenty of water in your system, keep a fan running if its hot and stay comfortable so you have better sleep.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Well it may be hard to explain what happen. This all may have been a bad dream but this to may have been a sighn. This sighn might not be about spirits or anything but a sighn that came from yourself. I to am a Christian but not the one I would like to be. There is no point in talking about what is good and all but how you feel. Do you remeber how it felt after mass? It was a great feeling. I to believe that there are things in life that want us to stop doing things. But it is we who decide. We have a path and we may choose which one to walk on. I don't think what you went through was paranormal. I don't want to preach on what we should do or not do but all I can say is give it a shot. It may take some time from the agenda but it may be nice. You just might find what you are looking for. I hope to hear from you soon and take crae
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
If this just happened one night, I would say probably just a bad dream you didn't remember. However, a couple of nights in a row, well maybe your feelings are right.
I still would say you are a good person, as we all should go to church more, well most of us.

I remember reading a biography on Padre Pio, a devout priest, who is considered a saint and even healed people. He was attached by evil spirits. So the really good people get tormented, since they are on the right track. Good luck with your faith. Take Care, you'll be fine.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: