You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: My Visit To Waverly Hills

Real Ghost Stories

My Visit To Waverly Hills

 

I don't know if you are familiar with Waverly Hills, but it is located in Louisville, Kentucky. The building used to be a hospital to help treat Tuberculosis, and is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America. There is a great website if you want more information on it. It's Waverly Hills.

http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com

My husband, sister, sister in law, and my husband's two friends decided to drive down to take one of the two hour tours. After seeing this place on Ghost Hunters and Celebrity Paranormal Project, I was just excited to go in, whether I saw any ghosts or not.

Besides the group of people with me, there were about twenty other people in our tour group. We were allowed to use flashlights and take pictures. Needless to say, I found it hard to see or hear anything in this big group, but our tour guide was awesome. If we stayed in the front of the group, he would point out little things before everyone else caught up with us. The only thing that I really saw, though, was "shadow people." The corridors in this building are really long, and whenever we would look down one, you could see shadows running across the end of them. However, I was still skeptical, because it was so dark in there, and I wasn't sure that I was seeing correctly.

Then, later in the tour, the guide split our tour group in half and asked for a volunteer to walk all the way down the corridor by him or herself. I was thinking no way, because these hallways were long and it was so dark in there. This guy volunteers, and he walks down the hallway. When he gets to the end, he stands in front of this door. There is a small amount of light coming from the room from the lamp right behind it. Well, the guide had the volunteer spread his legs in front of this door and told us to watch his feet. We could see shadows crossing in front of him. It was so freaky. Then, we could see a shadow next to him.

At this point, the guide yelled to the guy and asked him to stretch his hand to the left. He was reluctant, but we were all like, "do it" and when he did, he said it was cold next to him, and then he started to freak out a little, saying that his hand was going numb.

My husband was in the other half of the split group, and said that he had volunteered to walk down the hallway. He said nothing happened while he was down there until he began to walk back toward the tour group. That's when a door to one of the room slowly opened, although nothing was there.

Overall, I wish I would've seen more, but we plan on going back and maybe doing an overnight stay. Eventually, they are going to turn the Waverly into a hotel, which I don't think they should do.

Other hauntings by rstahley

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rstahley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

grimreeper (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
You guys should check out the Ghost Hunters Waverly Hills episode on YouTube. You can watch the entire episode and I think it is definitely one of their best.
Waverly is definitely on my visit wish list. Your so lucky rstahley to have had a chance to visit such a place also to have a husband that shares your interest in the paranormal.
theevilmonkee (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-04)
Hey guys. I've been to Waverly Hills and definitely agree that this hotel idea sucks. I have made a petition against the hotel at this link (it already has over 100 signatures😊):

Http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savewaverlyhills
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow rstahley! That was a great ghost tour. I am one of those who would realy like to go on one becase the guides realy know how to tell a great story. The things you have seen there for sure were interesting. And to that pretty creepy. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Feiaby (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
That was a brave move. I can't think of myself joining a tour like that...I'm not brave enough to go through it heheh

Nice story. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Thank you. I think I will do a bit of research as well and see if there is anything to be done. Great Cesar's ghost. A hotel. **shaking my lowered head** What a waste.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Thanks for comments, as always. Whitebuffalo, I am not sure if there is any petition or not, but I would like to find out. I tried to look online but didn't find anything.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Hi, I went and checked the website out, it seems like it would be a cool place to go and tour. The weird thing about it is that that place is a year older than my grandma🤔. She was born in Sommerset Ky, I think I spelled that right. Sorry about two different comments, but I didn't see the first link in your story. Thanks for sharing it. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
A hotel?! WHAT a travesty, rstahley. I sure hope they do not go ahead with those plans. Is there a historical petition going around anywhere that can be signed? I should think that the city, or even the state, would like to keep such a thing as is just to remind people of the misdeeds, however unintentional, done to man. Not only THAT, but the possibility of the scientific evidence that MAY be present within it's very walls COULD be phenomenal.
Thank you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
I just seen the pictures on both the sites and I believe that anyone who went to these places, in years gone by. Are not happy the way they died. I use to go by this Sanatorium in Ypsilanti. People went there for tb and if found insane. Once the place was left abanded one could still hear the screams and cries coming from it in later years, I heard that myself.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Very nice pictures of this place. Never been there but heard of it being haunted however. Seems any place that was a hospital all seem to be haunted. Thanks for the story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
rstahley, thanks for the reply! I just saw your photos, I didn't see the link before.They're great. You really conveyed the feel of the place. I was sure the tunnel was collapsed, oops, I was wrong! Thanks for sharing your experience and your pictures. I really enjoyed it.
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
That sounds so exciting! I've only heard about Waverly Hills through Celebrity Paranormal Project; it's awesome to find some first-person input.

You should definately go back and bring us some souvenirs! <3
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
Thanks again for the comments. Actually Bellissima, we got to walk through that tunnel. They call it the death tunnel. Usually, they don't let you walk down it for a 2 hour tour, but our guide took us anyway. He didn't go with us, but we could go as far as we wanted and then come back. It was very dark and creepy down there. I think I'm in the tunnel in one of the pictures I put a link to, but it's difficult to see because it's so dark.

As far the hotel thing, they are leaving the 4th and 5th floors just as they are so that they continue paranormal investigations. It'll just be the lower floors that become a hotel, but I still think that it's a bad idea.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
Hi rstahley.I've seen a few programs about Waverly Hills, one documentary in particular was really fascinating. I would have loved to take the tour, the history of that place is incredible. As much as they thought they were trying to help, the things that went on were absolutely inhumane. I agree with you, they shouldn't turn it into a hotel.It's best to just let some things be. Thanks for sharing your experience, I really enjoyed reading it. Was there any mention, or did you see the entry to, the supply tunnel that became the means to transport the many bodies away from the hospital so not to upset the patients? I think it's totally blocked, crumbled from age, and unable to be passed through at all. Very creepy.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
I agree, in a way it is sad to see this place turned in to a hotel. I wonder what type of activity we can expect from the hotel? Should be very interesting.

Thanks for sharing your visit with us!

God Bless!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
Hi, seems like you did definitely get something in your pictures, I bet the tour was something. Hope you are able to go back and tour it again before they turn it into a hotel, they need to stop and think that if there are still spirits there in that place, that they might not be too happy, sharing their place with someone else. Just my opinion, and thanks for letting us see pictures of the place, just looking at the pictures of the place gave me goosebumps, but also sounded like fun. Thanks for sharing your story with us. 😊
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Yeah, we do want to go back and stay overnight before they change it into a hotel, and I would like to believe that there are orbs in the pictures, but I think it's dust. 😢
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Hello I did See Orbs in the Picture and glad you enjoy your vacation... I never been there before and sure look fun and freaky lol thanks!
AngelaListedMIA (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
You didn't have ghosts in your pictures but you sure did get a TON of orbs!:)

What a fun experience! Do you think you will go on the tour again before they turn it into a hotel?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: