You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Builder

Real Ghost Stories

The Builder

 

We lived in a very small town, you know, everybody knows everybody and all their business kind of place. This actually happened at the same house from my other post.

Well, one day my mom got a call from the post lady asking her if she would be at our house in a couple of days. My mom said of course, and the post lady asked her if her uncle could come by and look at the house, because he was the one who built it. Of course mom was most obliged to do this.

So, a couple of nights went by and sure enough, the uncle showed up. He was very old, but very nice. Mom invited him in the house, but he saw that it was just her, me, my brother, and sister there and, being a southern gentleman, decided it would be best if he just walked around the outside. (My brother was 10, sister was 7. And I was 4)

Mom put on our shoes and we all walked around with him. He was particularly interested in the part of the house that was added on and stood there for a while just looking at it, I guess making sure that it met his approval.

Mom could tell how interested he was in the add on and asked him again if he was sure he didn't want to come in. The man said thank you, but no thanks. Not being rude, just polite. They talked for a while and then the man shook our hands and left.

About two months later, the post lady told mom that her uncle had passed away a couple nights ago from natural causes. Of course, mom offered her prayers for the family and made a casserole for the post lady's family.

A couple of weeks later, mom (who is a very heavy sleeper) woke up in the middle of the night. She wasn't sure why. She went to the bathroom, got a drink of water and sat in bed again.

As soon as she crawled back into bed, she heard the screen door to the porch creek. Then she heard footsteps on the porch that went to the front door. The door opened and she heard somebody walking down the hallway.

She listened to the footsteps as they were coming closer to her room. Then she saw a beam of light. At first she thought it was somebody with a flashlight until she realized it was right in front of her bedroom door which she always left open and there was nobody holding that light. As it stood there it started to take shape of a man, but still not clearly.

It was just clear enough that she could tell it was looking at her. It then pointed toward the part of the house that had been added on as if to say, "I'm going to go in here for a little while..."

My mom nodded at the "man" letting him know that it was fine with her if he looked around. It walked down the hall into the part that was added on and then mom heard the back door open and shut. She figured he had left. She got up to check. He was gone.

As soon as he had pointed to let her know what he was doing, she knew it was the man who had come to look at the house before. He must have just really wanted to look at the inside, but did not want to intrude while he was alive.

Other hauntings by rachelt

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rachelt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pattydole70 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
What a lovely story. This man was such a gentlemen. Just goes to show that even in death we are who we are.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
How interesting that the gentleman was so drawn back to the house in life that he would remember to check out the new addition after he had left it. I would think that as he had built the original structure, he WAS just making sure it was sound. But he ALSO was making sure that his actions were sound, as well. What a charming man (most true southern gentlemen are 😊) and what a Southern Belle your Mama appears to be.
Thank you for sharing this story.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Ahhhh, those wonderful Southern gentlemen! This entity's behavior is right in character.

Thanks for a sweet, gentle story, proving once again that not all encounters are the stuff of horror movies.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
That was very gentle and thoughtful of your mom and very courageous as well. She treated a kind gentleman with the same respect he had treated you.

A beautiful and sad stoty-I trully enjoyed it!
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
What a lovely story. I agree with Frawin. Your mother IS a real angel. This man was too much of a gentleman to go into your house while alive. He waited until after he passed to see the addition. And your mother, being the good hearted person that she is, let him. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It made my day.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
this is a good one. Thanks for sharing. Your mom sounds like a very warm hearted person. It was a good thing that she allowed "him" to go into the room that he wanted to go into. You never know maybe if she would have said no then maybe he would have remained here and not been able to cross over waiting for an opportunity to go in the room.
I really liked your story again thanks for sharing!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-19)
Hi Rachelt. Thank you for sharing another interesting story with us, I really enjoyed it. I would be willing to bet that if your mother had shook her head no, the ghost would have turned an left without going into the addition. Your Mother was a real angel to accommodate his simple request. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-19)
Wow! Rachelt what an interesting story. Sounds like he just wanted to take one last look at the home he built and the added-on room to make sure it met his standards. I am adding this story to one of my favourites. Take care of yourself and hope to read other stories from you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: