You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Childlike

Real Ghost Stories

Childlike

 

July 23, 2008. This one happened when I went to a place in Missouri (no I do not live there. This was on vacation) called the Lemp Mansion. If you haven't heard of the Lemp Mansion, then you need to do a bit of Googling. Anyways, I was visiting my older sister when she brought me on a tour of the place. This tour was filled with some hilarity but mainly I just want to share the personal experiences I had. In order to do this, I'll have to give you a bit of background.

We went into the mansion and immediately I noticed that there was so much energy in the building that my hair started to stand on end. This place was at one point a boarding house and a rather shabby one too. There were tons of deaths that took place in the building, supposedly from cats and dogs to former tenants, to even members of the original Lemp family.

Our tour guide only wanted to talk about Billy Lemp but nevertheless between all of that droning on about her dead "love" (we branded it love, because it was sort of that thing where she talked about that person all the time, but completely deny feelings for them) Billy, she got some interesting information in.

One thing that she didn't mention very much, though, was of a little baby, the illegitimate son of Billy Lemp, who had been popularly named Zeik. I didn't believe the baby's name was Zeik, but apparently Betsy did. Zeik was not only a bastard child, but he had Down Syndrome. During the time period in which the Lemp family lived, (I believe it was the mid to late 1800's) Down Syndrome was unacceptable, and people with it were widely discriminated against.

We know now that disabilities are acceptable and natural but again at the time, it was practically illegal, a shame to the whole family. So the baby boy was the son of Billy Lemp and one of his maidservants (Billy was a player) and had a disability. He was locked in the attic and lived there about eight years until he died. Now I'll give you details on this at the end of the story because the timing in which I learned these facts is absolutely crucial.

We were nearing the end of our tour when we went up to the attic rooms, the two smallest rooms in the mansion. We did what Betsy called a "darkroom" session. Betsy explained how said "darkroom" was supposed to work. She turns out all the lights, and everyone tries to strain their eyes as much as possible to see if they can see a specter or phantom or shadow or mist, only the third of, which was common.

What happened was that we went into one of the attic rooms, supposedly the most haunted of the two (I guess I should say now that it was about nine o' clock) and turned out all the lights in the room (except for a radio clock, which silly Betsy joked around about, although that was helpful because some idiot was liable to shout, "I see a blinking red light! I think there's a ghost in here!"). She said that the Lemp child, "Zeik" sometimes appeared to tender, kind-hearted women (I resent that statement. I believe she meant to say "people.").

So knowing that, we were all content to turn out the lights. Now there was some weird stuff going on. A lot of people were pointing some BS out but that's not what interested me. In the doorframe, I (as well as multiple other people) saw a feminine shadow dressed in a long dress. Little tiny orbs of light were circling her. As soon as someone pointed her out, she jumped out of the doorway until everyone stopped paying attention to her. I could see the frame get lighter and darker as she did so.

That alone was also not what interested me the most. It was the feeling, the influence I felt that was by far the strangest phenomenon. Within ten to twenty seconds of the light going out, my legs became increasingly weak. They were shaky and jellylike, almost as though someone were repeatedly kicking me in the back of the knee, causing it to collapse just enough not to bring me to my knees but to make it hard to stand.

I found my back bending over, like I was being pulled toward the floor and I looked very much like a monkey. My stepsister actually laughed at me when we left the room. I assure you that these feelings were not of my own. I walked in straight-legged and strong, and I walked out the same way. In fact, as soon as Betsy said, "All right, I'm going to turn the lights back on, the impression dissipated.

Afterwards, we went downstairs and everyone was given a pair of dowsing rods to use around the bottom floor of the mansion. I have to say the results were rather interesting, although everyone wanted to talk to Billy (of course). I however chose an old man who was frequently seen sitting in the back corner of the dining room. I know it sounds stupid but the dowsing rods really worked, even if I concentrated on one answer, they still pointed the opposite way. Very crazy stuff and quite a funny old man.

Finally, when we left the mansion/bed-and-breakfast, I told my sister what really happened in the darkroom. She was quite surprised and told me that she actually saw the room where the Lemp child lived. She had been to the mansion in an overnight ghost investigation the previous summer and one of the carpenters who were working on the remodeling showed her the room in the attic where people usually weren't allowed.

She said that the room in which he lived out his short life was so small that he couldn't stand up all the way and he could barely walk. So he was hunched over like a monkey all of his life, thus earning him nicknames like Monkeyface. (Yes, there was a window in the small room, according to my sister and it overlooked a relatively busy street in St. Louis). Children would see him looking down from his tiny home and call him rude names. She told me that she could even see ruts where he had walked back and forth for so many years. I attributed this information to my experience. All of the information shook me pretty hard.

So that's what my biggest experience was. It was definitely weird, but not scary. I was at peace, just weak during those 10 minutes in the darkroom. If anyone has any questions or commentary, I'd love to hear it. I don't think I did, but if I left something out then I don't want to leave it out for good.

Other hauntings by Jfreekao

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jfreekao, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
I live in St. Louis Mo about 15 minutes away from the Lemp Mansion. I have been there once and it was pretty creepy. The busy street that you mentioned is called Broadway. Broadway also boarders the Mississippi river. The Lemp mansion is actually a bueatiful place and the architecture of the place is interesting as well. I actually had a funny experience here. Me and my friends had a snowball fight on the patio. We didn't know there was a small pond in the corner of the yard and my friend was running backwards then fell in. It was scarry for him but it was quite funny to have seen! This is a fun place to visit. I love St.Louis!
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-23)
Okay, for anyone interested, TIPS will be going back for an overnight investigation most likely on July 23 or 24, 2009. That's really the only date that we could work out.
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Eheheheheheh... All I'm going to say is that I'm going back this next summer. We'll probably find a date when everyone else is out of the mansion, so that we have full reign of the space (Except the kitchen. I really wish we could go in the kitchen). I'm rather convinced that something will happen there, so I'll write a story about that.
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Maybe you guys should write a mystery together. That sounds like one big one that no one will have the answer for. Mama, Ms. B from the Council of the Blind? Sounds like her. When are you going back, jfreekao? Maybe we could come.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-07)
Wow what an amazing story yet so sad. Poor boy. I have to say I never heard about this mansion but I'm sure I will check it out. Sounds so interesting. I realy liked your story. And your tour sure was a great one! Thanks again for this story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-07)
I agree.
They were really good at "hiding" things. What influential family, with a lot of money, and all the correct political contacts WOULD NOT? Add to that the fact when the Lemp family "fell" their paperwork and documents were all BURNED. I THINK I had read that happened right around 1970, when the last of the line passed on, but it may have been before. I really SHOULD have saved all of these sites in my favorites, but I did not really think ahead.
There IS a big secret, and perhaps THAT is what the Lemp "curse" really WAS. Why else would so much be destroyed? Heck, they even destroyed priceless artwork at the dying request of one of the boys.
WHAT? William Jr's accepted son would not have enjoyed the luxuries of his birthright? Or did HE assume his Mother's maiden name? NOTHING was passed on to children, or grandchildren. WERE they afraid of passing on a long legacy of ill luck?
I am sorry that all I really did was "lead you" to a thought, I was really only trying to make you think. You are one of the few who actually read my comments in the same way in which I post them. MOST people seem to think I am picking apart their theories. That is NOT what I was doing.
You hit on the ONE thing that I was hinting at from the get go. One account said a special child [that is NOT a belittling comment, He WAS special, ALL children are. This one just happened to be biological heir to an empire (no matter WHICH Lemp man sired him), that, had he been born under different circumstances, MAY have been SO MUCH more that a mystery] passed away at sixteen. Another account says a special child passed away at 30. BOTH had the same description, BOTH seemed to bear the same name. COINCIDENCE? We may NEVER know, but it sure DOES point to the questionable answer that there MAY have been TWO very lonely little guys there.
Name meanings seem to draw me as well. The name Zeke means: "Strength of God. God will strengthen." Was the REAL reason for his secrecy in that the family was "disappointed" that he COULD NOT live up to the name? MANY people USED to name their children in hopes that they would BECOME much like the suggested THOUGHT of the word.
Just as an aside to that thought. I, myself, named my son after THREE very strong men. Both of his Grandfathers AND his Daddy (Plus, I would NOT be offended if he were to become a "dragon slayer"). My daughter was named for the Queen of the Jews. Not that we are Jewish, but because the timid woman rose up in the the turmoil of the times, and despite the knowledge that she WOULD be killed if the king opposed her position, she SAVED a NATION of peoples.
ONE of the Zeke's (if not both, if indeed there WERE two) may be the "evil inhuman being" that wanders at night.
The sickening thought that Julia may have Mothered Zeke, IF he was Billy's son, and that Julia MAY have been Billy's second wife (or merely "just" his MOTHER) is very reminiscent of Hamlet.
The problem WILL BE collecting the necessary documentation for proper research. If nothing else, perhaps you can ask someone that you "meet" there. They are NOT bound to the family secrecy any longer, they are NOT held accountable to public views any more, and they ARE NOT under the strict rule of the Patriarch of the family. Eccentricity is a probability, and the fact that SOME did not speak with the likes of US (in that we might not be considered part of the elite) MAY be an issue.
😉 But I think you can handle that.
Thank you for allowing me the voice to help you think further about the research needed to discover this mysteries answers. Thank you for taking my words as they were written, and thank you for LISTENING, as well as reading. For the record, I am NOT done researching. That DOES not necessarily mean that I will bury you under a pile of paperwork, though 😆. But if something "BIG" shows up, I would be happy to bend your ear, if you are further interested.
EVERY ghost hunter needs a research team.
Thank you.
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
Holy crud! That's really good! I don't have the answers to any of those questions, but that opens an interesting door... There are also two stories about the Down Syndrome boy... Or at least, two predicted death ages... 16 and 30. Not intending that to be the answer, but it's a very interesting concept, and the influence that came from Zeke did not seem hostile. Just like he wanted understanding. However, there is malevolent activity when people stay in the house alone. It WOULD make more sense, but leaving even more questions then before. Again, dowsing rods have never failed me before, so maybe I'll get something by using them this summer. I'm going to be in Missouri this Thanksgiving, but unfortunately, visiting the mansion is rather expensive, so I'm sure that I won't be there this month. Eh. Maybe someone can come along and shed some light on these questions, but with the amount of history that the Lemps covered up, that doesn't seem likely.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
Or...
Perhaps Zeke was not the only illegitimate child born to the Lemp name.
Even worse yet, perhaps ELSA was Zeke's biological Mother.
Before you do something rash like spit the snack you are enjoying at the computer screen, think about it: Millionairess living on the same floor as the servants (NOT heard of). Zeke was "loved" by all the servants and well taken care of (perhaps because of the close proximity of one of the Mistresses of the house, perhaps for a "bigger" reason) Elsa's husband steadfastly REFUSED to share sleeping quarters with, and intimacy with her (OK, that one could ALL be in the millionairess marrying a wealthy man thing, but...) For all practical purposes they SHARED a room, but only to those with prying eyes.
As far as the researching goes, I found TWO more articles that claim that William Sr, and NOT his son, Billy, sired Master Zeke.
THAT leads me to many, many more questions. The most important would be WHEN was little Zeke actually BORN? WERE there TWO children in the house that were not accepted as Lemp's? Why did Elsa's husband (of ten years) NOT want her to carry any of his children? And why the great secrecy as to the parentage?
MOST accounts say that Billy resembled William in MANY ways.
His "mistakes" as well?
What about Elsa? What "sin" could possibly cause a husband to refuse the intimacy of a new bride, and cause a second night room to be put in place?
Thank you.
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
Hmm... Evil inhuman entity. I didn't know that there was one in the Lemp Mansion, but then again, that would make total sense, seeing that nobody who stays the night alone is always scared out.
As far as Else Lemp, I don't think I actually saw a painting of her in the mansion either, although it's entirely possible that there was one and that it was ruined when the house was a boarding house. The fact that she lived upstairs near the servants probably points to several things.

1) She wasn't a spoiled brat (dunno why she would pick to live near the servants though... Just thought that idea was worth throwing out there)

2) She wasn't the favorite

3) She was retarded (In all seriousness).

4) She did something bad.

Well I can't wai to research more and find out more from my next visit... I'll probably write something about that when I get there, because something abnormal is bound to happen
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Then you had a REAL treat, Jfreekao.
I have often teased that she had missed her "calling" and should have gone into comedy. 😆 I DO have to say that she does extensive research before she will ever utter a word about something. Do not get me wrong, she MAY say "I think..." Or "Maybe..." but if it is not a documented FACT she is slow to state that it is. I think she would be pleased to hear that you took so much out of one of her tours.
Not bad, for fifteen dollars.

The entity that I am most interested in, that supposedly wanders the halls of Lemp mansion is the supposed "evil inhuman entity". My reasonings are that, in the not so distant past, those born with deformities were THOUGHT to be non or inhuman. I am curious as to whether THIS entity that is often seen is really Zeke.

Oh my, I just discovered something. I found ANOTHER report, and THIS one states that Zeke was actually the son of William Sr.
Another interesting thing, the servants quarters WERE upstairs, but so was Else Lemps.
Now, WHY would the daughter of an affluential man, like William Lemp, live in such close proximity to the servants? She was a millionaire in her own right, so that would make no sense to me.
I will have to search further.
Thank you!
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Whitebuffalo,
Thanks for your findings! It certainly would be difficult to find a son who was "never born." Like I said, I believe that, if he did live long enough to go outside the attic, he probably stayed in the mansion. The versions I've heard said that he was the son of one of the maids, and thus was kept in the attic in the servant's quarters, although WHY he was kept in what could be considered a closet baffles me. I suppose I'll just have to grab my trusty dowsing rods when I head to the Mansion this summer. Lucky for me they work extremely well.
Yes, by Betsy, I did mean Betsy Belanger. She was pretty funny, but I HAVE to congratulate her knowledge about the Lemp and its haunts. My sister and I actually tried to tell her about some of the stuff we found in the mansion, but she never came downstairs.
Also, I have no idea whether the man at the dining table was Charles Lemp or not... Using the dowsing rods, he said he was from the boarding house days. Dowsing rods can be wrong, but they've never been off for me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Betsy? As in Betsy Belanger, a psychic and paranormal investigator from St. Louis Spirit Search, Jfreekao?
I have GOT to say that Zeke is perhaps the biggest mystery in the Lemp family history. I googled HIM, only in that he is the one that you empathized with so much on this tour, and I tell you, out of the five articles that I read, NONE of them have the same story about him.
That is typical of the times, however. Anyone who wanted to "hide" a family member could do so, as long as the funds were available. The Lemps surely had the funding. The most disturbing thing to me, is that two of the accounts I read said that Julia Lemp, ("Billy"'s second wife?) was the mother of Zeke, and other accounts state that it is unknown who DID mother this child. (notice I DID NOT capitalize the "mother". WHAT Mother could turn her back totally on her child, out of wedlock, or as a result of a deformity? MANY women in the past have been ostracized for standing WITH their child, though society shunned them)
Accounts vary as to the AGE of Zeke at his demise. What a tragedy. All the other Lemps dates of departure are highly known, and documented. Both their ages AND the year. Some say that he was sixteen when he fell to his death on the servants staircase (he spent MUCH of his time with them. They LOVED him and played often. He was known as a "charming young man".), others state that he was in his thirties. Those that state he was in his 30's, ALSO claim that he was illegitimate.
All the rumors, and conjectures about this family only fuel the desire to learn more. If that indeed would include another visit to the famed mansion, I should think I would be the first in line. Or rather, among the first.
I would think that the funny old man in the dining room would be Charles.
What did you think?
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
I've read all 18 pages of the report about the Lemp Mansion and it definitely sounds like it had been a thrilling experience for the reporter. I was especially surprised by the fact that Betsy's version of the events and life at the mansion contradicted much of the written history or alleged history!

Very interesting!

Thanks again!
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
I did a tiny bit of research in here, and it seems that my sister was a little off. I found a web news article that points to a more residual sort of thing. This changes things, such as that he lived longer than eight years. Betsy says 16, this guy says 30 (I must not've paid attention to the tour...) So it does mean that he got out of the basement room, but he probably lived inside the mansion with the servants for his whole life in shame. It also seems that no records existed for him.

Http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/65657/a_night_with_the_orbs_at_lemp_mansion.html?page=8

I apologize for the inaccuracies. I was going from hearsay (as far as information on the kid)
Freek

(By the way, I did hear that EVP tape on my tour. It is incredibly hard to hear, and the only reason you would think "Zeke" is because the guides, especially Betsy, tell you that it says "Zeke." It's really more of a strange whisper)
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
You know what I'm thinking? If the Lemp is "housing" so many spirits, I don't need to wonder why any deceased individual would "bother" crossing over. They would probably prefer to "stick around where all the fun is". I'm looking forward to your next submission, let alone that I"m dying to know more about "the baby"!

Thanks Jfreekao
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Very impressive experience. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks so much for sharing. Haunted house carry memories, they become imprinted, as you well know. It must have shaken you up, when you learned the truth of the room the boy was kept in. How sad, how much sorrow still lingers there.Blessings, Ghostseer
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Thanks rhodes. The child, as I've mentioned, is not the only thing in there. There are a lot of spirits living there, and the baby is one of the weaker ones. The Lemp men are actually more prevalent than the rest. I'll be going back to investigate the Lemp this summer to see if I can't find the cause for some of the weird stuff that I found there.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Jfreekao thank you for sharing a very strange experience with us. I was appauled while reading of the cruelty this poor soul was treated with and although I'm aware of how little informed and ignorant people were back in those days, I still cannot for the life of me understand why that was a good excuse for "slowly" driving anyone to a slow agonizing death!

No wonder why there's so much energy left inside those walls! No wonder why it seems to be trapped even until the present day-it's the only place this child "recognizes" as "home"!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: