You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: He Called Me Dintzie

Real Ghost Stories

He Called Me Dintzie

 

I come from a fairly large extended family. Especially from my mom's side. She is one of 16 children and I have over 200 first cousins. Lot more second and third cousins. We had many family reunions that were well over 1000 members (my dad's side of the family was also there because of a few marriages between the families) when I was younger. They were a blast but also mind boggling. Even though I spent many summers with many of them, I was sometimes confused to who was talking to me because I could not remember them.

The reason I mention all of this is because I was very fortunate when I was younger to have a visit from my Uncle Richie who passed away in 1978.

My Uncle Richie (one of mom's brothers) was battling with colon cancer, which spread throughout his body before he passed away at a young age of 39 years. I was always told I was his favorite niece, which is why he always affectionately called me "Dintzie". Not sure how he came up with the name but I always felt special for it because I was the only one given a nickname from him. To my knowledge that is. He never called me Leanne like my other cousins but just by my nickname.

I was living in Ontario at the time (Uncle Richie was in Alberta) and I was about 7 years old when I had one last final visit from him.

I was asleep when I woke up at around 2:30 am. Wasn't sure why, thought maybe I had to go to the bathroom. Lying in bed I recall I wasn't alone in my room. The only light came from the streetlamps from the one window in my room. All of a sudden I heard "Dintzie" coming from the foot of my bed. I sat up quickly to see where Uncle Richie was and to give him a big hug for coming for a visit. I should mention at this time I knew he was sick but not life threatening (as far as I knew) because my parents felt I didn't need to know.

However, when I looked around I couldn't see him. I thought that maybe he was playing a prank and hiding somewhere in my room to scare me. When I moved to get off the bed to find him I saw an image out of the corner of my eyes at the foot of the bed. I turned to look and he was standing there with a warm smile and his arms out. I'm already tearing up recalling this encounter.

I scurried over and gave him a hug. He whispered in my ear, "Dintzie I love you and I want you to always keep me in your heart. I have come to say good-bye and will always be watching over you". It felt so real! When I let go of my uncle he walked out my door. I couldn't find him when I went to look for him. I was confused by all this (not scared) and didn't know what to do.

I went to my parent's room asking where he went and they told me he wasn't visiting. I was dreaming and to go back to bed. I did with hesitation and surprisingly fell back to sleep rather quickly.

The following morning - with the image of my uncle still in my head - I went down to the kitchen to find my parents crying and holding one another. I asked what was wrong and they said my Uncle Richie passed away early this morning. I was shocked and confused because as I told them at the time, "what do you mean he was here last night, I told you and you told me to go back to bed because I was dreaming". The look on their faces was of concern and anguish. I told them what Uncle Richie said to me and was very positive he was in my room.

My parents didn't say much afterwards about what I have experienced. I know what I saw, felt and heard and it was real and left a lasting impression on me.

I was very sad when I could not attend his funeral; I was too young as my parents explained.

I later found out he passed away at around 4:00 am that morning almost 2 hours later from his visit with me.

Was I dreaming? Didn't feel like it then or even now. When someone is dying are they able to project themselves somewhere else before going to their final resting-place? Can you touch spirits (they can touch you if they want) as I did with a hug to my uncle?

I would love to hear your comments and answer to these questions.

Thanks for reading and take care

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Leanne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-07)
Hi and thank you for sharring this beautiful story with us. I'm vey sorry for your loss. You know, even if it was a dream or this realy did happen you encountered something VERY VERY special. Not everyone had the chance to see what you did. Me Well I believe this is a miracle. Something very special. I believe your uncle did come to you. You are special to him. He sees you. He loves you. And he will always be looking after you. I hope to hear froim you soon and take care
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
This is a very cool story, reminds me of a personal anecdote.
I'm glad your uncle had a chance to say goodbye, for what I've experienced it also makes it a bit easier to deal with the death, you know he'll be alright and he's in a better place.
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Thanks again for the comments.

Whitebuffalo I really appreciate your insight. It gave me a new way of looking at this situation.

Take care ❤
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Yes leanne spirit can touch you since my own dad touch me before he pass on to after life.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
Oh, yes, Leanne, a person CAN project themselves somewhere else before going to their final resting place, when in the act of passing away. They MOST certainly are able to do that.
And YES, it IS possible to touch, and BE touched by their spirit.
Wow, I am going to have to come up with a very clear proof positive on that one, aren't I?
It is said, that the soul of a person retains ALL about that person. The SOUL. It has every thought you may have had, all the emotions all of the downfalls, ALL of it. It is the SOUL that remains, unchanged, and unwavering through out ALL time.
A ghost can leave. It can be taken to the place of extreme peace, and it will "change" into a spirit. The ghost will no longer exist. It is now in the perfect form of a spirit (the closest thing to an angel that MANY of us will ever see). The SPIRIT can and MAY "change" to fit the circumstance (for instance, if a spirit would like to rejoin the living, for "one more go" at figuring out where it went "wrong" in life, some of the spiritual makeup of that being MAY be altered, or omitted "this time around" to achieve the desired results.) But a SOUL is FOREVER. That is the eternal energy that I so often refer to.
EMOTIONS can, and are very strong. DESIRE is among the strongest of emotions. It causes us to do some truly amazing things (Lift up a car that a friend is trapped under. We have the DESIRE to assist that friend), but it can ALSO make us do some incredibly stupid things (such as desiring after someone while married to someone else).
In your Uncle Richie's case, I believe he DESIRED for you to know that his affection for you was not at an end. That it would remain just as strong in a few hours time, as it had been from the moment it first began.
Emotions take a bit of energy to BE. Take a person just sitting on a couch. Not watching the telly, not reading a book, in fact, sulking. Very little "feel" to them. In fact, you could probably forget they were there. If that same person was sitting on the same couch and in the emotion of extreme agitation, it would be very difficult, if not impossible to ignore them.
Your Uncle gathered up all of his strength to visit you. He used all his energy to hug you, as that is what he so DESIRED. With the build up of SO MUCH energy, it is highly probable [in fact, I believe he DID hug you, (even down to the cheek up against your forehead) and that YOU hugged HIM in return] that you could FEEL him physically.
Do not doubt this.
It happened.
Thank you.
misfitsdoll (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-05)
absolutley fantastic:) my mother had a similar experience, tho she didn't see my great aunt but she had a big MESSAGE for her:) have a read of my story to help you understand that these kind of things definatly happen within families:) xxxx
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
I love stories like this!
So heart warming and touching.
This story is beautiful, it is so nice that he came to you to say goodbye, as you were his favorite niece.
I'm sure he is now in heaven, looking down on all of your family with a big smile!
Take care
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Thank-you for all the wonderful comments. ❤

I'm still touch and go on my experience. I'm 37 years old and I can still vividly see my uncle during the time he came to visit me in his last hours.

Hard to say if it was a dream or something that really happened. Either way I will always hold on to this memory until the day I die.

He was a very sweet men and I'm very fortunate to have him as a gaurdian angle and to have been part of his life as well.

Keep the commments coming I want to hear what you have to say.

Take care ❤
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Touching story. I feel 100% certain that this sweet man, your uncle passed away peacefully and is now in heaven watching over you. I do believe that when the body is dying the soul can leave - after all, our physical body is just a shell. You two were close and he wanted to say goodbye in a personal way before you found out the next morning. You are blessed to have experienced that. I imagine him is such a sweet man in life and a blessing to your family.

Peace and Love
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Wow!, I felt the sorrow, the joy, the memories. You told your story well. My heart goes out to you for your loss, but your Uncle came to say goodbye!. Not many people can say this happened to them... It sounds like you were dreaming, as the ethereal form is difficult to hug. Love is eternal!. Blessings, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
Leanne what a sad and yet heart-warming story-thank you so much for sharing! I felt as if I was there, sharing your love for and final goodbye to this wonderful man.

Were you dreaming...honestly? I'm convinced you were not. You had no knowledge of his condition and the timing of his visit was more than convincing to me, let alone his promise. Why would you dream of someone saying goodbye if you didn't know they were leaving?

Can one touch a ghost? Hmmm, provided that the spirit possesses a great amount of energy either because of how close the timing of their death is to their visit or the need for the accumulation of that much energy, yes, I think it is possible. More, your beloved uncle made that special journey just to see you once again before he crosses over. I think the love you two shared was what helped both of you overcome the natural "obstacles". It was BECAUSE you loved him that you could "touch" him.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: