You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Night Strangler

Real Ghost Stories

Night Strangler

 

This happened very recently, just this past November of 2008. I'll start off by saying I'd been restless because of the June 2008 floods. In September we learned that my mom was losing her job as a result of the floods which resulted in a stressed induced insomnia stage.

I fell into a good sleep in November for the first time in a long time. Without warning I was choked out of the peaceful sleep and woke up to find myself still paralyzed and struggling for breath. So I sat up and got a glass of water before returning to bed. At first I thought it was nothing, just my body reacting to an overload of stress. However, the real terror came when I lay back down to fall back to sleep.

I had just closed my eyes when I felt an ominous feeling; like something else had entered the room in the time span I had been gone. I tried to ignore it and fall back asleep, but I felt something tighten around my neck and I couldn't breathe. I opened my eyes to see a dark humanoid figure above me with an overbearing appearance. I couldn't see any features, just a black solid.

I was thrashing about so violently the ruckus had woken up my parents and they switched the light on demanding to know why I was being so loud. Almost immediately, the figure disappeared and the grip around my throat was released.

I tried to play it off as a dream, but the next morning I woke up with small bruises around my neck. I've never experienced such a malevolent spirit before in my life and the house I live in now has been the house I've lived in since 1995. I don't think anyone or thing has died in the house besides a few household pets. Any theories on what this may be or how it has entered my life would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by DPez

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DPez, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheDrawBack (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
I believe what you call the black, solidness of your ghost, it has been dead for a long time. Sometimes they forget their real form and become very violent if they have been.
Valeribby_0x (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-24)
Well its possible that it could of followed you from another location, someone elses house, library, ect. Its known that a spirit can attach itself to you if it chooses and follow you. Some leave, some stay depending how attached they become to you.
Near (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
i don't think that you dud something that anger the spirit, cause I spend hours reading ghost stories and I have came into a conclusion, if the spirit is black, it is a demon or is evil = P
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
Vampiress: unfortunately, moving is not the answer when money is tight. Besides, we were here first. Why should we have to move? I think there's probably a most cost efficient way to handle the spirit... Possibly learning to hold my breath for great periods of time? 😜
Vampiress (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
May God keep you! Maybe you should move... He...she...the ghost is obviously violent. Have you done anything that might be offensive? Like... Breathe?
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
man god be with you. 😕 I try to disprove many of these storys but this one I can't the neck prints put it away. My explination for the attack whatever it was my guess a demon. Could fell you stress and saw you at a weak point and thought it was the perfect time for a strike. 😨
chloe6991 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
This doesn't sound good this spirit or whatever it is sounds like it could really harm you.: (

~Chloe
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-19)
Yoga and meditation, spa bath mat for the bath with candles and naturals massage soap bars, and lavender bubble bath with aol.com radio listen to new age music under the lite sounds category as well as other soft relaxign music udner lite sounds
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-18)
To ILikeNumbers: Thanks for the comment
Yeah there were a few people who lived in the house before us, but none of them complained about any activity. In fact the last tennats renovated our house the most. They filled in the in ground pool in the backyard (I don't know why anyone would want to do that) and they replaced the hardwood floors with carpet. It's possible that they might have lied about any activity in the house though... We replaced the carpet and tore down some wallpaper, but that was quite a few years back.
IlikeNumbers123 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-18)
did anyone live in the house before you? That might mean something and if someone did, did you renevate the house? That can anger spirits.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-18)
Frightening story! It seems this thing gained strength through your depressive state. I can only hope that it never does this again. Thanks for sharing!
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
To Charl2008: When I was younger I think it might be safe to say I was close to a beacon, but as I got older I lost the ability or chose not to attune myself to spirits. Now I'll occassionally experience something like this where a spirit seems to be demanding attention.
I certainly hope the spirit isn't powerful to choke me to death and I hope it continues to stay low on the radar.

To Amber: I'll hope that the spirit doesn't learn any new methods... That'd be frightening. Thanks for the suggestion about Yoga... I'll have to give that and the other ideas a try
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
dpez

You are welcome.

It is very possible it was in or near the house but was never strong enough to be noticed until the stress made it strong enough to get attention. But the key point was the stress.

One thing I forgot to mention was trying meditation or yoga or another form of destressing to keep its power level low.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
I agree with charl on his first 2 points. But disagree with the secondthe size of the bruises has no bearing on whether or not the spirit was strong enough to strangle someone to death. I have seen bodys with no marks that were strangled its all in the method. (now I bet that opens a can of questions) 😆
charl2008 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
Seems that you've had experiences all your life 😁. Well there are two points I would like to say that contributed to that wandering evil to manifest itself to you
1.) You're a natural beacon to all other spirits (that is if my guess is right)
2.) You were stressed/depressed - makes evil entities something to feed on.
If it left only a few small bruises, then I don't think it's powerful enough to choke you to near death. It's just making you fear it so that it would become stronger. I hope it wouldn't bother you again.

God Bless 😊
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
To Jmak and Amber:
Thanks for the comments and I agree about it being empowered by my stress. Maybe it's because I was so stressed that attracted it to me in the first place? Or maybe it was in our house not being noticed until now (which seems less plausible to me).
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
I have to agree with Amber on this; it sounds like whatever it is was drawn to and empowered by the stress/chaotic emotions running through your household at the time. I would suggest strongly that you get and wear a religious item at all times. Also I would suggest that you tell your parents about the incident and get the house blessed. I do hope the incidents have stopped for good. If anything further happens though please keep us updated. God bless.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
I have had a similar experience, its in my story Trouble in an Abandoned House. My BloodBrother rescued me that time but the second time I fought the spirit myself and beat it.

Since it left bruises I would be very concerned. It definately meant you harm. It could have been powered by the Stress and negative vibes running rampant at the time and since things have calmed down it isn't able to do more than some noises now and then.

If it comes back or you feel the need for protection get an amulet of your faith, a cross for christians, davids star for jeish pentacle/pentagram for pagans etc. And wear it at all times, have the item blessed by the appropriate person if you can.

If that doesn't work see about having your house blessed and or cleansed.

If you need more help or would like to talk confidentially you can find me on yahoo as TawnyShadow
DPez (5 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
To Surlay2: I haven't seen it physically manifest itself, though odd things keep happening at our house now. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or not. Fortunately I haven't been bothered in my sleep since that night.
Surlay2 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
I had sorta the same experince, I have a story written about it. The black figure I seen was hovering over me when I woke up and I couldn't move or breath. It scared the heck out of me. But was even weirder was that my mother saw the same thing hovering over me when I was a baby in my crib. And I also seen it watching me and kids sleep in my bed one morning. Creepy... But has it come back or anything like that?
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
WEIRDDDD AND SCARY HAHA umm I have read a lot of stories like this one and yeah its pretty creepyy!
steven181 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
Thats insane.
There is another story on here with the exact same kind of concept putting aside minor details.

The story is in the list and its called " Walking Spitit or Guardian Angel" It has the same sort of Dark figures in it as you do it yours. Volotile black spirits.

I do not know what's wrong... But maybe someone will.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
love this story very scary, I have never had an experience like that before.

Princess123 x ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: