You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Windmill And The Cold Spot

Real Ghost Stories

The Windmill And The Cold Spot

 

When I was young we used to live near a graveyard. We were separated from it by a dip which had a main road, and we were just next to an intersection. I can't say anything supernatural happened there, more like bad luck. A man, my father who was with friends crashed right on that intersection on his motorbike. As people stopped to go help him, the man jumped up and started trying to claw at the dirt walls enclosing the sides of the road. As the onlookers watched trying to help and figure out what was wrong, they saw him start to burn with opaque flames. Somehow he'd gotten petrol inside his jacket and he burnt to death from the inside out. I'm not sure if the white cross at that intersection is still there, although now they've shut the intersection off. We moved soon after that.

Our next house was a nice place in a valley, semi-rural and looked like it had once been a farm with horse paddocks, old stables and a big shed. We had to live in the little cottage just next to the main house for some time until the previous owners moved out. The cottage was disgusting and hadn't been used for decades, we found the skin of a giant carpet python (who eluded us for years until we found it at the top of the toilet in the farm shed and called the local reptile removal group. The guy took one look and said "I think I'll need a bigger bag".) When we finally moved into the main house, we rented the cottage out to a nice couple we knew for a while. They'd lost a baby and had buried her in the cemetery we used to live opposite to. It was during this brief time that we found out a man had been creeping into our back garden for several times a week at night. Eventually the police tracked him down and found he had been using our garden to hide in to be able to stalk the woman of the couple.

It was after the renovations we began later that the slightly strange things started to happen. We hadn't quite realised how old the house was until we found a window within the inside walls of the bathroom. We guessed that perhaps the foundations of the house had been laid down at least since the early 1900s. Now, my new room was annoying. On top of the fact that my mum had decided I would have no privacy and got French doors installed in my room so you could see through the wide hallway and into the living room. The wide hallway didn't go very far, it just went to a dead end because my parents wanted to eventually build a second level and install some stairs there. My room was the coldest in the house. However, being in a valley it used to get very chilly, but my mother would always marvel at how my room would never heat up. I felt it had something to do with the "cold spot". If you sat on my bed, which faced the doorway, the area was in the upper right-hand corner. I found it weird because of all the spots to creep me out (except for my current house) I have always, always, had the room with the ceiling hole right above my bed. This corner, however, always felt to me as though there was a spider in its web watching me. It was unnerving.

Our place also came with a windmill. It stood in the front yard serving very little purpose except to make a horrible 'clack, clack, clack' sound all the time. My father was annoyed by it too so he got some rope and tied it up tightly. It never made a sound that is in the day at least. It was only during late night that you would hear it start to go 'clack, clack, clack' again even when there was no wind blowing.

One night I was up reading a book. Then something made me look up to the doors that let me see out to the hallway. I wasn't sure for a few seconds because nothing happened and then a woman ran past, dressed up in some Victorian get-up. She was followed by a man in mining gear. They both seemed to be laughing. I blinked my eyes wondering what just happened. I still don't know. But it wasn't until after that I got my mum to place some curtains over the glass. I hadn't realised until just now, but after the curtains were placed there I never actually did anything but sleep in my room then. I always played out in the other rooms of the house, perhaps because the "cold spot" made the room feel more confining than ever.

I also never really went near the windmill. I can't ever really remember touching it. So it also wasn't until a few years later I found a little plaque on the windmill saying that it hadn't actually been built on our property. It used to belong to a mining company out west and had been moved onto our property later on.

I'm still not sure about that house to this day. I'm relatively down-to-earth with explanations about strange events. I had even chalked up the scrabbling in the ceiling and walls to rats or possums playing with the rat poison pellets we put up there. The people I saw ran past were my imagination most probably. But, really I'm not sure. I've moved house around seven times in my life and definitely never had anything like that happen to me like at that house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kita, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I realy did enjoy reading it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kita (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
Nope, that's pretty much all that ever happened there, Jmak. We had to move out a few years later.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
Thank you for taking the time to relieve my confusion. Has anything else occured? Again please forgive my ignorance 😊. God bless.
Kita (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
Ah, I'm not very good at remembering proper words for things sometimes, Jmak. Apologies there. It's sort of like access to the attic, except it's just a hole with a cover over it essentially. Australia doesn't really have actual attics though.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
I'm confused by what you meant by the "ceiling hole", could you please explain? The rest sound like residual hauntings as there was no interaction between them and your family. Thank you for sharing this experience with us 😊. God bless.
Kita (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
[at] Hobbyholly: I'm afraid I didn't find out very much about the house. It's in an area of the Central Coast an hour north of Sydney. The valley area is a rather secluded place amongst all the urban chaos nearby. But from what I can guess from a lot the buildings nearby was that the area was established in the late 1800s or early 1900s. I'm sure it used to be used for farming and holidays houses as a lot of the other properties around were along those lines. There's a family that lived further up and still ran a farm with cows on it. There's also a orange/mandarin farm that's been going for about 60 years nearby.

The house itself I really can't find out anything about unfortunately. History about that particular area is extremely sketchy, especially compared to the surrounding areas of the Central Coast. I'm not sure if the house was ever owned by someone connected to the mining company that the windmill was first with. From what I remember, the mining company was probably very far away out in mid-land New South Wales, and the house was on the coast. I had always presumed it had been purchased second-hand. It may have been used for water since there was an underground tank next to it, but someone must have stripped them out later - unless it was purchased as an oddity. No other properties in the area had a windmill.

[at] Surya: I've been in about 7 different houses in my lifetime and that was the only house I've ever had something like that happen.

[at] Kecoughtan: I'm not sure if they really did. And we're all pretty non-believing in ghosts as well. All the things that ever happened where around my room though. I seemed to get the most scratching sounds above my bed as well, but I'm relatively sure that was from rats and possums - we had a very large amount of wild animals around.

As for the windmill, it was kept secure at all times. My dad would even check it occasionally since he would hear it at night too, but would find nothing wrong.

The windmill actually was right in front of that hallway. I guess it could be said it was more of a foyer area in a way since it led to an outside door (you were right about an exterior door!) although we never used it since it was more convenient to just use the side door that went to the carport. We had a lot more renovations planned but never got to them, like adding a second floor. The hallway also was like a dividing split in the house - the kitchen and living areas on one side, and then the bedrooms and bathroom on another.

I guess perhaps the miner was brought in with the windmill and perhaps the lady was a previous owner or such and they met up (haha, I'm too much of a romanticist). They looked pretty happy though when I saw them.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Kita, I don't mean to inundate you, but I re-read your account I have two more questions. The first is just a clarification. When you heard the clack-clack of the windmill at night, were the blades still secured by the rope which your father tied? This wide, dead end hallway seems peculiar. Did your family ever open it up to extend it to the second floor? The way you described it, I am wondering if it originally functioned as a passageway to an exterior doorway--that perhaps was later boarded up and hidden beneath clapboards. The walled-over window in the bathroom seems to suggests that the house has undergone significant modification. Perhaps the miner and the Victorian lady were running in/out of the house through the previous passageway.

Hobbyholly, thanks for the cookie details. I think I am visiting the grocery store this evening. 😁
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Kecoughtan: yes... They are real
Http://www.fehrfoods.com/almondwindmills.htm

Sorry to get off subject everyone
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Are there REALLY windmill-shaped cookies? I have certainly been missing out!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
I would also like to point out, I have NEVER liked Windmills. They have always creeped me out (even the windmill shaped cookies)
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Looks like hobbyholly and Kecoughtan beat me to the same questions. HISTORY. Have you since moving experianced anything else?
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Thank you for sharing your fascinating experiences, Kita. Hobbyholly beat me to it, but I am interested in historic details, too. Was your house originally part of the mining company--perhaps a cottage for an engineer or supervisor? Did anyone else in your family have any encounters? Thanks.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Dear Kita;
Thank you for a lovely story. Do you know any history about the home or the cottage?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: