You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Did I Really Hear Luke?

Real Ghost Stories

Did I Really Hear Luke?

 

I have always been interested in the paranormal and came across this site while surfing around Halloween time this past year. I've always enjoyed reading the posts people have submitted and honestly, I never thought in a million years I'd ever post anything myself, although I firmly believe in the paranormal, I don't consider myself sensitive in any way at all.

I'm a HUGE dog lover and up until recently I had three dogs that are like my children. Before having my daughter I dabbled in dog rescue, which is how I wound up with three dogs. I currently live with my two-year-old daughter who has her separate bedroom and my two dogs. All three of my dogs would sleep with me in my room at night. The two I still have, have always slept on the unused right side of the bed and Luke would lie on the floor next to my bed on my side.

My oldest "boy" Luke was almost fifteen years old when I had to make that awful decision that no dog/animal lover ever wants to make. On December 4th, 2008, I said goodbye to the best friend I ever had. I had made the decision based on some health issues that came with his age.

One thing Luke had made a habit of doing was making very loud sighs when he'd want something such as attention, to be fed, to be let outside or, at the end, was just confused. It was more than annoying and I would often have to tell him to quiet down in order to get any sleep, which never seemed to really work anyway.

This past Thursday evening after putting my daughter to bed and doing a few things around the house, I was finally able to relax by lying in bed to watch the ten o'clock news. All the lights were off other than the TV when I heard the same sigh Luke always made. It was coming from the left side of my bed...Luke's spot. I muted the TV and listened again but nothing. Then about a minute later I heard it again.

Thinking it had to be one of my other dogs, I focused on them but not a sound, they had already crashed for the night so I kind of just blew it off until I heard it again. I hit the mute again on the TV and listened but things just fell silent. Then, as soon as I turned the sound back on I heard it again. I muted the TV one more time and I finally heard the sigh without distractions... It was plain as day. At that point I asked Luke to stop and I've not heard anything since.

I've second-guessed my decision more than once about putting him down and I miss him more than I can put into words. I had my Luke since he was born (he was born at my parent's house) and my life's just not the same without him. Granted, I know he's better off where he is and I'm very blessed to have a wonderful daughter and two other beloved dogs but I still miss him.

I often wonder if he could've told me what he wanted me to do, would he still be here? As I lay there though, after my experience, a comforting sensation came over me. Now, I wonder was it his way to let me know he's still with me or is it something else since he would sigh when he wanted something? I just don't know.

I realize my experience isn't as interesting, crazy, odd, etc as some of the other posts but the crazy part for me is that it happened to me. I decided to post my story because I'm curious if anyone else has had any similar experiences? I can't recall reading any other posts that have to do with animal spirits in this sense. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and God Bless.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lisa66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lostsoul123 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
i had a dog lost from me I had him when he was a baby then ran away and never came back few days later somepeople cam my house and said they found a dog dead in the back of my house now and then I hear my dog waging his tail on the floor or licking my face and I love him soooo much I'm srry for you dog lisa I know how you feel 😭 😢
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Angelboo424,

Thank you for your comments. I certainly hope I'll hear from him again but if not, I'll always treasure that last final gift he gave me. It was just amazing. Thanks again. 😊
angelboo424 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Lisa, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Luke. I know too well how you feel. I do want you to know that there is no doubt in my mind that you heard your Luke that night. Animals that have crossed can come through to this side more easily than people who have crossed. Since animals are pure spirit it's very easy for them to come through and let you know that they are there! I know that you will feel and hear the presence of your baby again.

Hugs,
Joanne
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Peachful Beach,

Thank you so much for your comments and I'm sorry for your loss as well. Honestly? I had never expected to become a mom and I focused entirely on my dogs. They've brought so much to my life and Luke was with me for almost fifteen years as I mentioned. Although it's been a hard thing to go through with losing him, I wouldn't trade anything to avoid what I'm feeling now with him gone. He made my life a happier place too many times to count. I realize time will help and thankfully I have my my two year old and two other wonderful "boys" to help get me through. Thanks again for your kind words.
PeacefulBeach (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Lisa66, I have been reading on this site for only a short time, but your story is the first I felt I have knowledge or experience enough to comment on. It is well written and very touching. Please accept my sympathies on Luke's passing.

I had a dog I had to 'let go' about 3 years ago, so I tuly understand your feelings. I am glad to know I am not the only one who mourns a beloved pet's passing with such emotion. I still get a bit teary when I think of her. But, too offer you some comfort, the pain does begin to pass -- with time it gets easier.

Thanks for sharing your Luke.
Hugs, PeacefulBeach
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Thanks to you all for the kind words and I'm so relieved that you all seem to understand. I sometimes think it's harder to lose a beloved pet than a person. I lost my sister when I was nineteen to domestic violence and oddly, I think I cried more for my dog. Don't misunderstand, I was, and still am at 42 still devastated over the loss of my sister but your pets are so dependent on you and love you at your worst. Luke had always been such a great comfort to me at some of my lowest times. Thanks again for all of your input...it's grately appreciate.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
wow!may be a tight bonding affecton prevailing between you. Very loving story and I think your luke wants to give it more attention than other dogs even though it is dead. Seriously iam sorry for your loss and next when it makes the same sound feed it with what you usually keep to it or do to it at that time.
"THE SOUL OF THE LUKE IS IMMORTAL"
Very fascinating story
Scaryboy
tricia889 (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
I'm sorry about Luke, I dread the day when I may be in the postition you were in. I really enjoyed your story though, on this site there aren't many good encounters with the other side, and this was a comforting encounter. How wonderful! Especially that it made you feel you made the right decision (I'm sure you did). Luke was really trying to get you to aknowledge that he is all right. Amazing 😁
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Hey Lisa,

I am so sorry for your loss. I absolutely know what you mean, I am an active member of the rescue team too and almost everytime it breaks my heart to see people being so cruel to animals. The hardest part is always when you have to make that decision... For their own good...: (

I have a dog whos is 10 years now 'BRUNO', and I know the things he does to get attention or whatever it is that he wants at that point. He does do the sighs too... I guess LUKE was just trying to tell you he misses you too.

Regards & Prayers,
Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: