You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Gateway To Tir-na-nog

Real Ghost Stories

The Gateway To Tir-na-nog

 

It was my first trip overseas in 1994, back to my homeland of Ireland where I was born but I was brought up in Australia. Ireland, the mystic place of fairies, poets, and ancient heroes... And the supernatural.

I stayed with my sister in West Cork in a lovely little stone cottage with a stunning view of pine covered forest and green, green emerald fields... Just briefly, it is true that there five different shades of green in Ireland, thought I just tell you that...anyway, after a few weeks of staying with my sister and her family, I decided it was time I buggered off on a bike trip around Ireland.

Now, before I drivel on, I want to tell you that this is not really a ghost story but a...fairy tale, a strange fairy tale that happened to me...anyway, there I was cycling along the coast, spend a few nights here and there when finally I had enough of the coast. I had my trusty map out and figured that it was be quicker for me to cycle over the mountains to get to Dingle, which is on the coast. I remember there was an old church on the crossroad and so I took the left hand (I think) road and found a small garage.

"Great," I thought, "I need a can of coke and a mars bar" So in I went and I was served by a little old lady. She asked me where I was going and I told her Dingle. Then, she said, you'll be happier going by the coast. No, I said, I want to go through the mountains. By this stage the whole bloody clan including the dog and the cat was out telling me Don't go through the mountains, go by the coast. Why? I shouted. No reason, just go by the coast! By this stage I had enough, and paid for my mars bar and coke and stormed out. Maybe I should have listened to them.

I cycled up this bloody great hill and found a lovely spot so I can take a piccy of my bike and the view behind the bike. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, mind you, just me and the wild forest. I steadied the bike on a rock and stepped back when... The bike was moved. Yes, wheeled as if someone just picked it up and wheeled it then it fell.

I blinked and walked over, picked the bike up, leaned against the blasted rock again and it did it again. This time I was very puzzled and checked if the ground was rough. Nope, smoother than a baby's backside. Then I shook my head, took the photo and was pushing the bike up the hill when I heard behind me, and I'm serious here, childish giggling.

First I thought oh wow Kookaburras... Hang on, I'm in Ireland and there's no Kookaburras here... I never ran so fast in my life, the bike was actually cycling me. I found out later where I was... A place called The Gateway to Tir Na Nog-Fairyland...believe what you want but that's what really happened to yours truly.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-25)
Hello:
I went a few years back and know the EXACT place you are referring to. Nobody would give us directions through the mountains from Adare to Dingle; even the GPS refused to route it so we had to do it the old-fashioned way with a map. Unfortunately nothing out of the ordinary took place, but it did seem an enchanted place up there. So glad we took that route; although with the weather closing in and darkness upon us we chose to take the highway back.
I must admit, I'm a bit envious of those who have had positive interactions with the wee good ones.
Kind Regards,
Lynev
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
i think I know the spot your talking about... Three young girls were knocked down & killed there in 1971. & the sounds of silly laughter can often be heard there... Actually that's not true at all, I just made that up...
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-09)
A very interesting story. Sounds as if they were having a bit of fun by spooking you. Since you make no mention of harm befalling you I don't think I'd have been so worried. But then again I've never been in said situation so I haven't a clue as to how I'd react
lovedbyinccubi (5 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-15)
Tir na nog is NOT the paradise many think it is. I have been there once. It is a barren place devoid of life save for a single plant.
moomoomilk (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Whoah! That is so cool! I would have legged it when the wheel incident happened 😆 I'm from Cork to by the way. Where in Cork was it? (Appart from the West) I'm very interested! Thanks x
MMM
Staris (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
Yes, me too! I'm a fairy lover and love your stories, too! Great tale... I have a picture of me WITH a green man in the photo! I will post that soon... 😉
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-23)
Very good story, Aussie. I've come to enjoy your tales very much and look forward to reading them.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Ireland is so fascinating to me. I would love to go there, and your story just made me want to go more. I think despite what everyone told you, you made a good decision going there. If you hadn't, you wouldn't have such a great 'vacation" story.

Anyway; thanks for sharing
JerseyGirl (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Hello, AssieRedDog! I've had an unusual experience in Ireland as well. Look for my story, A Wierd Vacation Picture. I was in an alleged Faery Ring in County Clare when that picture was taken. The story tells it all. I dated an Irishman for many years, and after what he told me, and what I've seen myself, I believe that there are more things on this Earth than we're aware of! 😊
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
Coooooooool! I want to go! You must tell me how to get to this place! Send me an e-mail! 😆
missydee (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-17)
*ops* I meant South West of Ireland 😆 Can't wait to read more of your stories.
missydee (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-17)
Hi AussieRedDog, Thank you for posting another great story. It was really well told. I'm from Ireland. I love the west of Ireland. Especially Cork (where my Dad is from) and yes Ireland does indeed have 40 shades of green! 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-17)
Hey Aussie-I don't know which is more exciting living in Australia or originating from Ireland... I think I'll go for the latter since I have a soft spot for fairies and since I have experienced life in the Land Down Under 😊!

I'm beginning to consider the possibility pretty seriously as I keep reading about these "alleged" folklore stories-the possibility that oral tradition was not only a way of passing time or getting caught up in a world of superstition. It IS very likely that some of these stories that went around and still go around for so many years have some truth in them.

Whatever the case, I think one of my next destinations on the map is Ireland...definitely!

Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: