You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Asylum

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Asylum

 

I just want to share my experience with the paranormal, and maybe get some help with a problem. Thanks in advance.

Well, my grandpa owns this old insane asylum in California, and in April, 2005, I use to go there as a kid to help him fix leaky roofs, broken windowpanes, etc. I was about 13 years old. I had never had any problems, besides hearing odd creaks and thumps that sounded like footsteps, but I never thought anything of it. But the day my grandpa decided to tear it down, weird things started happening.

It started when me and my friend Jono had just finished sweeping and cleaning a room when we walked down the hall, and to the stairs to leave. But right as we get to the top of the stairs, Jono stopped. I looked up at him and asked him what was wrong. He said nothing but pointed up into the corner of the ceiling. I followed his finger and saw what appeared to be a man, clinging to the ceiling. He was staring very fiercely at us, and started screaming in a different language. He seemed to be transparent. Me and Jono were so scared we ran down the hall and locked ourselves in the room we had cleaned only moments before. The doorknob kept jiggling, and the light kept flickering on and off. I had never been so scared in my life. Eventually my grandpa found us and drove us home, but we never did forget that man we saw.

After hearing what me and my friend saw, my grandpa decided not to tear it down, but to sell it. I've been back there a few times, but I haven't heard anything or seen anything out of the usual. I would like to help the man I saw.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, E.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xXToDieForXx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
Hmmm...
I drew a blank, as well, Hobbyholly. I even tried interchanging the words sanitarium, sanatorium and asylum. Still a blank.
Come on, xXToDieForXx, now it is up to you. Anything else you can think of that could help us with the research?
Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
whitebuffalo:

Once again I took it upon myself to find out where this could possibly be/ what the name of this place is.

Http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~asylums/mainpage.html
I went through every asylum the list under california (yes even the ones without a link). Nothing. I couldn't find anything about closures/repairs in 05' or what they could possibly used for now. Some are still hospitals. Also, a lot of these old buildings were HUGE. They span acres... I don't know the extent of the repairs the OPs grandfather did, but it seems to be quite the undertaking.

If we had a name that would be helpful or town.::I need a break::
Spazztasticgirl (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
😭 Yikes! You mean he was literally clinging to the ceilin'?! D:

:S That's creepy... Poor fella probably was frightened by your presence 😨
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
I am sorry, is it possible that you could find out the former name of this place so that it can be researched? This is a very interesting story and I am so inclined to know the rest of the story (r.i.p. Mr. Paul Harvey).
Thank you.
xXToDieForXx (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
By the way, I did not find any history or anything of that nature on the building. And I have no plans on going back there anytime soon. Haha. I believe the man that owns it now, just has it there, closed down and gated off. Maybe he had an experience too? Please check my other story if you have the time, and if it gets published, thanks. E.
xXToDieForXx (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
I'm not sure if it is the same asylum that "TAPS" investigated, but it could be, as I haven't been there in awhile. To everybody asking what kind of language it was, I believe it was french, as he kept making the noises like if you had something in the back of your throat. Nobody had ever really seen or felt anything there before, as the only persons in the asylum was me, my friend and my grandpa. Thank you for all of your support, and I will follow your advice. E.
Casp3r (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
it is natural for spirits to be territorial.
This spirit would have been angered by the possible destruction of his haunt. Asylums hold a lot of spirits with regret or anger and they are un able to pass on. You and your friend maybe witnessed and angry plee to leave his home alone. Insanity causes a lot of afliction of the mind and would cause a spirit these feelings. Tearing down this asylum would be bad for anyone. I advise you, if you ever see this manifestation again, to keep in mind that you are in control. They cannot harm you. You need to believe that you are in control and tell this aspiration that he is not welcome in your life. This is common knowledge. If asked, they usually go away.
I am interested in, however, in this language you heard, is there any way you can describe it or recognize it. German, spanish, french, duetch, or anything?
If you could release the name of this institution it might be of further help or maybe you could research it on your own also? Maybe dig up some old records to satisfy your own curiosity? Just be careful when dealing with spirits, much as I believe they can't harm you, there are ways of getting around that through energy or empathy or even moving objects I hope you don't meet this spirit again especially during dead time, this is when they have the most power. So beware at 3 am.
If you'd like to talk, feel free to contact me.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Irbe: yes I believe that is the asylum I read about. I believe they now give tours there? I've seen TAPS once or twice (I can't really get into it... Same with Paranormal State)
IrbeFan4Life (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
hobbyholly, was the Asylum you were referring to Waverly Hills Sanitarium? I've heard some pretty disturbing stories about that one. I've also seen the two episodes in which the TAPS team went in to investigate. Places with guaranteed paranormal activity are always jails, hospitals, and insane asylums. Why? All of the extremes of emotion have been seen in those places and certainly many people died before their times.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
What did the language sound like? Sorry just curios. Lol That is just the sort of place you'd find a ghost. ❤
shellybelly (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Wow...thats creepy! But an old asylum would be the place that I would expect an haunting. Theres a lot of strong emotions that are left behind from the people that were in there. Because when they first started coming up with the experiments to help those people they were very cruel.

I wish you the best! 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
To SELL it? Instead of tearing it down because of some...
OK. I have to ask. What was the name of this asylum and do you feel safe enough to provide a city? I would love to do a bit of research on this place. This is incredible. It IS just like an incident that I also watched (Hello there, Hobbyholly! Maybe we watched it at the same time!) in the past.
Does your grandfather believe in the paranormal or was it more in being frightened that made him decide to sell?
Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
This story sounds familiar. Like I've heard it somewhere or seen a show about it... But I digress.

If you're looking for a good scare I'd imagine an asylum is a good place. Had your grandfather heard anything before? When your grandfather sold it, what did it turn into?

There is an old asylum/institution in KY that had a very dark and unfortunate past that I believe was turned into some sort of tourist attraction (the name escapes me).

If you're really interested, why not do some research on the place? Find out what their main treatment was. Etc. Keep us posted.

Also, if you go back there make sure you have permission (i.e not at night) you could get busted for trespassing.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
It seems like whoever is still stuck in there was very upset about you trying to destroy his home. I know this was not your intention but lost souls tend to drift in the place they loved or, as in this case, know better than any other and come to call it "home".

If I were you and had no experience in the paranormal (who has enough experience anyway), I would ask for help from someone who has dealt with these things before and who can not only communicate but pacify and guide those who are left behind to the other side.

Take care!
haterandloverofghosts (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Scary story! That would have been so freaky!
I have heard a lot of stories like this particular one. Good thinking that your grandfather didn't demolish it.

Wish you the best 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: