You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Unforgettable Experience In Oregon

Real Ghost Stories

Unforgettable Experience In Oregon

 

This took place shortly after I had turned 16. My dad was working up in Oregon and Washington but was based out of rainier. I went up to live with him I guess just to do something different. I was used to being around the city type of atmosphere and it wasn't to long before I grew bored. (Not that the Oregon country girls in that area didn't stir my blood, it's just that they mainly wanted to waste their time getting high, or drunk, tipping cows, or shooting the passing ships going down the Columbia river. Which I didn't mind at that time I just missed the city lights or something).

I'd been out partying with a friend and drove off the side of a mountain, (another story which would take a while to go through), and I thought my dad was probably going to kill me anyway, without benefit of blindfold and a last smoke, so I decided to hitchhike back to Oklahoma. Needless to say I lacked the understanding of just how far I was from Oklahoma. My new found compadre decided to go along because he had gotten in recent trouble with his folks and wanted out of town too so we took off.

Somewhere between Portland and The Dalles, on I-84, which was only a two lane at that spot, we were really tired and looking for a place to sleep. By this time I had found out that this hitch hiking thing wasn't for me, and it really should be called, hike hike hike hike hike hike,hitch, hike hike hike hike or something similar and what seemed weird was that out in the middle of nowhere the fences were really well kept, and I didn't want to get cut up climbing one. No houses, no anything, but nice fences. Who would have thought it?!

We found a rather peevish looking fence about 3/4 of a mile before a bend in the road. The moon was out and actually lit up the area pretty well. There was about 3/4 of a mile behind us from the last turn in the road and like I said about the same in front of us before the next one. We were in a valley or what ever they called that the road went through and it was really a beautiful site. Just as we were fixing to jump the fence a car came around the bend from in front. Of course it was to far off to see us when it rounded the bend but we didn't want it to see us climbing the fence when it came abreast of us, (like the owners of the land were out cruising in the middle of the night). The sides of the road in that area sloped down at a very sharp rate and was gravel, at least on our side of the road, so you didn't have to go far to be below the grade of the road and out of site of passing motorist. It went down probably 15 feet though, well below the road. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that since. Just as we were sliding down the slope out of site I caught site of something way down the road just this side of the curve, the lights of the oncoming car caught it just as it was making the curve. What ever it was went down the embankment on the opposite side of the road from us. I asked my friend if he saw it and he said he saw something.

After the car passed we peeked over the top of the road and right when we started to climb back on to the roadway, because we decided we didn't want to sleep in that area anyway, we saw what appeared to be two guys pushing a motorbike climb up where we saw it go off before. This was still about 3/4 of a mile at least off, down the hill near the curve. We slid back down the slope out of site. I really don't know why, and then we kind of looked at each other. A motorbike? We both looked at the incline behind us. If you pushed a motorbike off the side of the road down this embankment you'd have a heck of a time stopping it before it went all the way down, and the river was on their side, and even a harder time getting back up. I couldn't imagine trying to get it back up to the road, assuming it didn't go into the river. We both peeked over the top breathing really quiet and shallow watching for another couple of minutes when all of a sudden it stood up. It wasn't two guys pushing a motorbike, it was something that had been on all fours and stood up and it was huge. At least twice as tall as us, and by the way, we weren't midgets. I almost shat myself. I started looking around and the fence by this time was looking mighty small. Thinking really fast in that fight or flight mode, and the flight was definitely the way I was leaning toward, I realized that, thank god it had been his turn to carry the back pack which would slow him down and had the only food we had in it, and on top of that I thought I could out run him. Maybe it wouldn't want both of us.

I looked at him, saw the panic in his eyes and knew he was thinking along the same lines. I knew I couldn't run. I also knew that it had to sense us when it got directly across from us. I pulled out my little pocket knife, and I think he pulled out a fork. I knew then, we're going to die, and all I could think of was lord please let it be quick. I peeked over the top again and it was almost even with us. I might have whimpered, silently of course, but I also noticed that the wind was blowing in my face, from his direction. There might be hope.

We ducked back down and we could here it stop almost right across from us for a moment or two, and then start on up the road again. It was almost to the curve up the hill from us from the direction we had originally come from when another car came around the bend downhill. I thought about jumping out in front of it and yelling for help but if it didn't stop then what ever that was would know that we were there. We waited and it disappeared below the other side of the road like before when the other car came. This time it didn't come back up.

I don't know how long we waited but we finally climbed back up and continued down the hill and around the curve. We didn't say a word of breath anything about a whisper until we'd cleared that bend in the road and was a mile or two away. When we got the "the dalles" we called our parents to come and get us. We'd had enough of the open road in Oregon. I don't know what that was, but I still think about it sometimes. I've had a few other things happen to me in my life but that really scared me.

Other hauntings by vulcan10

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vulcan10, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

witchgirl2010 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-22)
Ive been to the dalles and it is scary at night. There have been lots of murders out there. About 2 moths ago they found a body out there. Scary!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-11-20)
The moon was bright and more in the eastern sky so it lit it up from the back. When we first saw it, it was near the curve up ahead and we only looked up because a car was rounding the bend in the road ahead and the lights just caught it as it went down the embankment. We did to at that time, I'm not really sure why now but we did. And when we got back up onto the road it was too and we went back down the embankment on our side again. I don't know why we did but it was kind of instinctual. I peaked over the top of the road a couple of times while it approached on the otherside of the highway and could hear as it drew even with us and paused a moment as if it sensed we were in the area because of some gravel on the road. We heard its feet move across them. I think I might have even anticipated a strong smell since that's what you always hear about from bigfoot sightings but I didn't smell anything, and I thought of how it seemed more wiry than I would have thought a bigfoot would be. There was also a weird kind of movement to its walk. It felt evil to me, and I didn't even want to breath when it was near.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
Well my vote's on Bigfoot. Can you remember any other details like color, smell, noise, etc.?
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-12)
vulcan10 you are an excellent story teller! I love this story even though it was probably one of the scariest things you went through. I've driven through the Dalles and it is a very desolate area most of the time! I'm going to put this in my favorites. I only had one question though can you remember any more detail in what it looked like or was it shadowed in the dark? Again awesome story. ❤ 😊 ❤
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
That is some awesome reasoning! I can understand why you wouldn't want to get mulled with loaded drawers! 😊
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-10-08)
I was serious! The only reason I didn't other than the fact that we hadn't eaten enough to make a good turd, was that I was afraid he'd smell it. And to be maimed by an angry beast out it the wilds is bad enough, but soiled jeans on top of that?
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
OMG! Vulcan10, while I can imagine that your experience was extremely scary, I have to tell you that your story made me laugh. I totally believe your story but when you said, "I almost shat myself", I almost rolled out of my chair. Thank you for posting this. It is officially my favorite. 😉
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-13)
Sounds like you had a bigfoot encounter. Oregon has had a lot of bigfoot sightings--just google "Oregon bigfoot".
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
No, I don't really know what it was. It was a long time ago. It was something that made me feel like I shouldn't be there and was really wishing I wasn't at the time. I didn't stare, mostly prayed and tried not to breath. And yes, We only had a small boy scout looking knife and a fork and I think we found the fork along the way. It wasn't a well thought out running away plan. Spur of the moment kind of thing. Don't recommend it.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
Thanks for sharing your story,...would you have any idea what was that?, maybe one of those big foot? 😕
Claudia
book_luver123 (227 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-09-08)
Wait so you had only a pocket knife and a fork to defend yourselves. Honestly I don't have any good ideas yet,sorry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: