You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Most Horrifying, Unforgettable Week

Real Ghost Stories

My Most Horrifying, Unforgettable Week


I'd moved to Texas to live with my mom during my first pregnancy, since I had no support system in my hometown.

I lived with her for about a year before the issues started up. It was around nine o'clock at night, and my mom, stepfather, and I were sitting at the dining table, and I had my six-month-old son on my lap. He was refusing to sleep, and I didn't want him to wake my step siblings by fussing loudly in my room (across the hall from the kids' rooms, and he was a very loud child when he was unhappy), so I figured him being with me would help calm him enough to sleep. All of a sudden, he just froze in my lap, stiff as a board, and stared at the corner of the living room. I noticed he wasn't fidgeting any more and followed his gaze, but nothing was there. It was just an empty corner. I got my mom's attention, and she looked at the corner as well, but she didn't see anything there, either.

My son started pointing at the corner, crying quietly; my mom walked across the room, ran her hand around the corner but felt nothing, and came back. Within moments, my son stopped staring and leaned against my chest, falling asleep in a few minutes. I laid him down in his crib, turned on some music, and left him there until I was ready to go to bed myself. I thought nothing of the shadows I saw moving in the hall through the crack between the bottom of my door and the floor, assuming they were just my stepfather checking on his kids.

Only two days later, it happened again, but this time, my son's crying wasn't quiet. My mom checked the corner, my son finally fell asleep still sniffling, and I put him to bed. I went out onto the back deck for a cigarette at ten-thirty before I headed for bed, and when I came back inside, my stepfather (we'll call him Dale) stopped me and said, "He's okay, but... Who's that woman?"

"What woman?" I asked, because I couldn't see anyone near my room, and there were no new photos on the walls.

"The woman there, in front of your door. She's got short curly hair, and she's short and skinny. She's wearing a button-down shirt and long jean skirt.

"Dale, you're drunk. There's no one there," I said, but I knew the description - it was exactly how my grandmother looked when she was younger, and he had never met her; she'd died almost two years before this point. I chalked it up to him, as I said, being drunk and remembering a description my mother might have told him.

The next three nights went much the same. We lost the house within the next month, due to my stepfather not being able to work because of a car accident, so my mom and Dale took the kids an hour and a half away to stay with Dale's parents while my son and I stayed behind to finish packing the house up. It was the easiest for all of us - Mom and Dale could focus on the kids and finding a new place, and I could focus on my son and packing without having to deal with the fuss that comes from three kids all close in age and reaching the point where they rarely got along. The first night was fine; I got the kids' belongings in boxes, and half of my room was organised and ready to be packed up. The second evening is when it started.

I'd just laid my son down in bed, gotten the Disney station started up for him, and shut the door behind me when I heard the whispering. I opened my door again, but all I could hear was Colors of the Wind. The whispering got louder when I reached the living room, and it seemed to come from what was my mom's room. I hurriedly shut the door, turned on "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on the television, and forced myself to focus on packing things up. I eventually fell asleep on the couch around one AM.

The next night, I was smoking before bed and on the phone with my friend we'll call Bryan, talking about nothing in particular. I fell silent as I realised there were four dark figures standing in my backyard, halfway between the deck and the back fence. They didn't move at all but they were there. I took a picture on my phone, but the photo didn't show anything. I went inside, made sure all doors and windows were locked, and broke my own rule of smoking in the house. I didn't go back outside until the sun was up. Once I finally fell asleep, it didn't last long - I woke up to the feeling of someone watching me, the hairs on the back of my neck standing straight up and goosebumps all over my body.

The music came the following night. Big band, 50s style music, crackling and fluctuating in volume and eerily haunting, coming from my mom's room. My son wouldn't sleep in our room, screaming every time I tried to lay him down. So I made him a bed of extra comforters on the living room floor; he was asleep within minutes. I ignored the music as much as I could, but it was difficult. It played for three hours before suddenly cutting off, leaving the house in silence. The figures in the backyard were there again.

The fifth night I stayed in that house alone was also the final night. I'd become accustomed to the haunting strains of old music, the terrifying shadows in the backyard, the faint whispering, even the feeling of something being in the house with my son and me. But nothing could ever have prepared me for what happened that final night. I'd made sure the dishes were washed and put away; laundry run through the machines, folded, and put away in boxes; and trash bagged up and ready to be put in the cans outside. I fell asleep to the sound of Alfred Hitchcock talking on the TV, the 50s music coming from my mom's room, and soft voices speaking too fast and too quietly for me to understand. I woke up in less than two hours, unable to breathe. It felt like I was being strangled, thick fingers around my throat, and a harsh, growling breathing in my ears. I was sobbing, my son was screaming, and I couldn't move. The sensation was gone as suddenly as it came, and I stumbled to my feet, picked up my son to comfort him, and headed into the kitchen for a drink. I know I had put away every single dish and piece of silverware, because I sent my mom a picture when I was done, with the caption of "See, Mom? I'm not being lazy!" But there, on the island counter, was our largest butcher knife, and as I stated at it, it started almost vibrating, wiggling across the countertop before rising about an inch in the air. I screamed and ran back into the living room, stuffing my son rather haphazardly into his car seat before running to my room to gather up clothes and drag his mattress from the crib. I shoved bottles and formula and diapers and wipes into a large duffel bag, the clothes into my book bag, and left it by the door while I ran my son out to the car as a guttural laugh echoed in the house. I nearly wrecked the car trying to reverse out of our driveway. I called my mom as I drove toward where they were staying, asking for directions and crying too hard to explain what happened. My phone died before I was even halfway there.

Dale's mom didn't believe me when I got there, but I know Mom and Dale did - they'd seen the benevolent stuff, the less frightening occurrences, and so it wasn't a far leap from just presences to what I experienced that night. When I went to show them pictures and let them listen to the audio of the music from their room, everything was gone. Not just deleted, or silent audio clips, but the data wasn't there at all.

Last I heard, the people who moved in after us left the house in just as much of a hurry as I did that night, and the neighbour across the street went in to clean it up (and probably take things that were left behind) but couldn't get past the front door before she felt like she was being strangled. Now the land has an enormous crack through it and the house was in ruins for over a year before the city decided to tear it down.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Polexia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-09)
I am with Lady-glow in wishing for a bit more information regarding the house and the crack that opened up beneath it. There are fault lines in Texas and earthquakes caused both by man and nature. (See:
Flooding is certainly not unheard of in Texas and that can lead to sinkholes (See:
So, a large crack opening beneath a house certainly seems possible but it seems equally as likely that such an event would have at least made local news.

I will confess, some of the details are a bit far fetched but perhaps not completely outside the range of believability. As I read, I had come to a similar conclusion as Myst- perhaps the activity got started not because of anything anyone inside the house did but could be credited to some entity, which sensed the impending danger and wanted everyone out of there by any means necessary.
Polexia (1 stories) (2 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-07)
And in regards to my phone going dead on the drive - my phone was a few years old at the time, and the battery life was crap at best, lasting only a couple hours before needing to be charged up again. I'd been planning on charging it while I slept, but since that didn't happen, it didn't get charged, and my mom had taken the only car charger we had.
Polexia (1 stories) (2 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-07)
The 50s style music was coming from my mom's room - there was no radio, no TV, nothing that would play music in her room. My stepdad had taken his amps and guitars, and all that was left in the room was there bed and a box of clothes.

[at] lady-glow I'm blaming the fact that he was drunk for his rather... Odd reaction. When he drank, he always got more curious and less reactive. My mom is a devout Christian and absolutely banned anything like ouija boards or mentions of witchcraft, so it couldn't have been that, I don't think.

Most of the things that were left to pack up were just my belongings, my son's stuff, and the living room and kitchen. A few knick-knacks as well. But most had already been boxed up, and my mom was supposed to come back with my stepfather's truck to help load it up and take it away at the end of the week, so only a day or two after I left the house for good.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-04)
Ok. I was confused. But no worries.

It's just not clarified where the music is coming from in the other cases so I wasn't sure if she put that on as well after she put on the Disney stuff. As the author says music was " coming from the mom's room". Well does that mean a radio? A tv? Just in general? I believe it's possible that music can be transported from the paranormal but just wondering if the author knew the source.

I've also had a case of paranormal music, but it was coming from a tv or radio.

Anyway, there are a few things that give me pause about this story. I'm with lady-glow and several things are hmmm. Blaringly strange to me is being the only one packing the house up and with a small child too. I mean it's possible. Especially if you guys only had a few things. But it just needs more clarification.

I'll just say here we moved 3 times in the last year with a housefull of people helping and it was a hassle. I can't imagine doing that alone. But, it's certainly possible, it's just not something I could manage.

Cell phone going dead on the way to your family is also a bit horror movie esque but maybe you didn't have a car charger? I don't know.
Myst (63 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Could it be local elementals were trying to clear the land well before the crack occurred to prevent loss of life?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
LuciaJacinta - she stated she had put the Disney channel on TV. Apparently it was playing Pocahontas because Colors of the Wind was playing. Two nights later is when she began hearing the paranormal music. It really wasn't hard to follow 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Polexia - I am very familiar with the music. As a matter of fact, I've been planning to submit my musical experiences.

It's horrible to go through something so terrifying when you have a baby and are alone. I am sorry you had to go through this 😐
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
I'm confused. Was all the music paranormal, even the Disney music? I didn't understand if you put the music on or it was on by other forces.
Chiku (1 stories) (21 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-02)
Quite a remarkable experience you had. Good to see nothing gore baap happened 😳
lady-glow (16 stories) (3158 posts)
6 years ago (2018-07-01)

" my stepfather (we'll call him Dale) stopped me and said, "He's okay, but... Who's that woman?"

I find it odd that Dale would ask this instead of "How the heck did this woman get into my house at 10:30 at night?!?!" Do you know if he talked to the stranger in his house or confronted her?...weird...very weird.

You have to be careful around knives coming to life, at least that one didn't misbehave like the one in the following story:


It would have been nice if the neighbours had help you to clean up too, a lone young mother with a baby packing the stuffs of 7 people...

It is unusual that the activity would jump from nothing to mild to diabolic in such a short time. Are you aware of any reason that could have triggered the events (playing Ouija board, anyone practicing witchcraft, etc)?

Did the crack on the land where the house used to stand, by any chance, make it to the news and if so, would you mind to share the link?

Anyway, I hope you and your family are doing well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: