You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Grateful Stranger

Real Ghost Stories

The Grateful Stranger

 

Although I have had no confirmable experiences with the other side, I can say my interest in the 'paranormal' and this site is an act of precaution or maybe caution. A few of my family though, have had the fortune or misfortune or neither of experiencing 'their' company. The following account is one of the many that a grandmother of mine has been through.

My grandmother lives in a small town - Srirangapattana near Mysore. It was a small village during the time of this story, mud roads, travel by foot or bullock carts, oil lamps during night, firewood and agriculture and the like. She was somewhat appreciated for her services as a midwife then. Once late at night, it was raining hard when she heard someone calling her name outside. There was a middle aged lady at the door. She asked my grandma to leave immediately with her to help someone deliver a baby as no one else was willing to go out in the rain. My grandma obliged and they left for a place that was a bit off from the village. My grandma instructed the lady to go get the proper medicine and herbs for the needs of the delivery and after and went to the house. She helped make the delivery and instructed the household, who were in tears as they thought no help would come during that rain, on how to take care of the newborn and the mother and when the deal was done, she returned home and slept.

She asked around in the morning if the middle aged lady was given the medicine. But she didn't hear anything about it. So, my grandma let the matter go. That night, again there was someone calling her name outside. On opening the door, she saw the middle aged lady and inquired if the mother and child were well and if any more help was needed to which the lady started thanking her profusely for helping her daughter bring in the newborn. My grandma was surprised that it was the lady's daughter because she assumed that a mother would know how to bring in another's child. She asked my grandma if there was anything she wanted in return to which my grandma declined saying that it was her duty and no reward was necessary. The lady insisted and upon more resistance from my grandma, she thanked her one last time and left.

The next morning, my grandma found a very large bronze\ copper vessel and a few more vessels inside it (which were worth a small fortune at that time) at the back of her house. It was too heavy to be lifted by less than 3 or 4 people and there was no way anyone could get that to the fenced back yard (somewhat) without making a good deal of noise (this was back in the 40's or 50's when there were no vehicles or electricity in most of rural India) and waking up the whole village. My grandma was stumped by this... But suspecting the middle aged lady's gratefulness, asked around about it. No one knew. So, she went to the house that was a bit off from town to ask the lady to take them back. Then the daughter told her that her mother, that lady, died some time back. Imagine my grandma's face when she heard that. She realised then that the mother heard her daughter's cries for help on that rainy night from who knows where and came to answer. My grandma gave away those vessels to a temple (she couldn't use those giant things anyway) and prayed for the grateful lady.

I was glad and relieved when I heard this story after hearing a lot of bad goings on about ghosts. My grandma has seen both sides to 'them'. Maybe I'll put down one of her not so pleasant experiences here next time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, villageboy101, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
this is another story which makes me happy that our loved ones although they are no more but do care for us and they do help us literally.
kirthi (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
your story was interesting and... I too had heard about a beam light which was very thin and long as a human height but I never seen until now thanks for sharing
Unscaryever012 (9 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Well its realy good and wonderful though, it was really tough or iMPossible for the lady to ask for the help but her mother was having an eye on daugther that now its a real time for her to help her daughter and for the baby too so she helped... Really nice to get such typa experience, your grandma was the lucky one.
Thanks for telling
God bless your grandma and your family
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
what an amazing story, how special to know your mother is still with you particularly at such a special time ❤
villageboy101 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-23)
another of my grandmothers was very religious and used to say that she saw man shaped beams of light moving around the house that she believed were gods. Some years before she departed, a few times I have heard her say she had dreams of our gods telling her that its time to leave. One of her daughters, my aunts was unmarried and was very attached to my grandma. I get a feeling that she held on for a few more years for my aunt's sake.
Anjoubelle (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
My grandmother passed away a few years ago and my mum was naturally extremely upset. Especially since we live abroad and mum didn't get to speak with her. But a few days after the funeral, mum said she heard someone singing in the bathroom, it was a well known lullaby my grandmother used to sing to her kids. My aunt and I went to check and sure enough we could hear someone singing in the bathroom, we pushed the door open and to our shock nothing was there! I believe my grandmother came to reassure her kids that she was alright.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-18)
villageboy101--The story of your grandmother's good heart enrolls her in the Book of Compassionate Humanity. Life is rife with hardship, and whether in the flesh or in the spirit, we are one in the Creator and are here to facilitate the ways of everlasting Love. Thank you for the beautiful reminder of cooperation betwixt this world and the beyond.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-17)
This is a wonderful story. It is not often you hear the good side of hauntings and ghosts, and how not all of them are a bad. Thank you! 😁 ❤
melissa26 (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-16)
AWW that's really nice! My grandma's story is somewhat similar, my grandma's mother died giving birth to her, one night my grandma was really crying (she was only a few days old) all of a sudden she stopped, when they went to see they saw her mothers spirit swinging the crib to calm her down but, when she saw that they saw her she disapeared! So yah I really believe that mothers even though passed on still watch over there children... ❤
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-15)
Wow, what a cool story, That's so sweet of that woman's mother to do that. That woman must have felt pretty loved to hear that her mom came back from the other side to aid her in bringing her child into the world.
noor26 (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-15)
kool story man...great...plz do send more such interesting stories 😊
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-15)
Wow, great story! I guess it just goes to show that a mother's love is unstoppable.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: