You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Shadow

 

A few years ago, I had an encounter with a presence. I was home alone with just the cat. Sitting downstairs watching TV with the cat on my lap when I heard what sounded like a dog barking upstairs, but didn't own a dog. I just thought I was hearing things, until the cat starting hissing. I was about to go upstairs to see if somehow a dog did manage to get in when I heard it start coming down the stairs. I went for the pellet gun. Then I heard a growling coming from just a few feet away. The cat was going crazy, but there was no dog there.

What I saw was a dark shadow in the centre of the room. At first I was afraid, but then I thought "the hell with it", and told it to go away. It did. I never felt the presence again. Had the cat not reacted the way she did, I would have just assumed it was my imagination. I had never used a Ouija board and stayed away from anything occult related until that encounter.

I discussed this with a spiritualist who told me that the "being" was a manifestation of the negative aspects in my life. When I asked about the cat, she told me that cats are believed to have the ability to see into the spirit world and they will react to spiritual energies. I "defeated" the negative energies by telling the being to leave. After the encounter, I found myself becoming more open minded towards the spiritual side of our world. Things like the Ouija board and Tarot deck can be of great benefit to a person who uses them correctly. They are not evil. They cannot summon demons.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Northwolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousCat (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-06)
Eek! So scary! You have a lot of courage to actually speak to it! I think I need a cat with me at all times now because in my family's religious tradition, black cats chase away evil spirits. D=
Northwolf (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-05)
I never used a Ouija board before this happened. The spiritualist I spoke to about it was someone I'd known most of my life. To be a spiritualist, one does not need a certificate, they just need to be open to spirits. Now, my mom had an experience in the same house, but it was a little different than mine. She saw a large black cat walk past the doorway to my parents bedroom one night. The cat we had was a small grey one who was sitting in her lap at the time. Again, the cat did react. Regrettably, kitty died of heart failure a few weeks later. For anyone who doesn't know, cats are common spiritual "familiars". They don't attract spirits, but they can sense when they are near, far better than other animals. Any family pet also reacts to the energies you give off. I believe in spirits, but I do not feel that what I encountered was an actual spirit.
bigC (4 stories) (80 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-05)
I would have just been like shut up then just the shadow a few times
Limnim2lottie (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
😲 You are extremely brave.

I couldn't of told it to go away, I would just stand there paryalsed with fear. 😕
michi78 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
We can make speculations on our experiences based on quantitative evaluations. We can say, "well, there's a certain trend with regards to this situation". But all that is seen through the lens of this particular life. I don't think anyone can definitively say 'what is what' with ANYTHING regarding the traditional sense of the paranormal. We'll only know once we're gone.
What I'm trying to say is that I personally don't think dogs are messengers of the dead, or that it was a manifestation of your negativity-I don't think you can narrow it down. For all we know, it could've simply been the spirit of a dog deceased. Cats don't like worldly dogs either. I mean, really, who knows what it was?

We try to make sense of these things to alleviate fear, to categorize, etc. It's human nature. I'd say, just be excited that you were able to experience something that a lot of people don't. Mathematically, it IS proven that multiple dimensions exist (quantum physics), we don't know how or where they are, but you probably got a look into one. Pretty cool, but with anything we don't understand fully, it's best to be aware and safe.
yaygurl (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-03)
By the way, I believe you did have a spirit their, because you heard a dog and dogs are messengers of the dead. If you do use a Ouiji board, beware because you're inviting them in. Evem though the aren't neccasarily evil, they're hard to control.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-02)
I am just simply floored.
Well, maybe I just do not understand what you mean by that. Please believe that I seriously am looking for an answer, and am not trying to "slam" you in any way.
Was this a credited Spiritualist that you went to that said "...the 'being' was a manifestation of the negative aspects in my life."? And then went on to explain that the cat reacted due to the fact that "...cats are believed to have the ability to see into the spirit world and they will react to spiritual energies"?

Here is why I am struggling with that explanation.
Yes, I CAN see how the negative aspects of our lives CAN be brought OUT (poltergeist are good examples) and can seem to have a life of their own. But that DOES NOT, in my understanding, make them a "spiritual energy". It simply makes them a manifestation of negativity.
In other words, to have an animal respond to the "spiritual energy" from a ghost/Spirit/entity/being-- there HAS to have been a soul for the arrival OF that being. Thus: Spiritual Energy.
IF this was a manifestation of the negatives in your life, there would be NO "spiritual energy". ACTS or THOUGHTS created the manifestation, NOT a ghost.
So how could an animal respond to something that is an "empty energy"?
Wa-do.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-02)
Thanks Granny, I have you on my prayer list as well and I will continue to lift you up in prayer.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
Jitow: You are absolutey right!...Getting all the religious brainwashing out of your head has a way of opening your mind! ❤
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
Being openminded... Is nothing more than the shiottz that fell out of a big hole in your head.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
The negative aspects of your life had to be asked to depart? As opposed to what? Doing something about them?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
vulcan, IMO, a spiritualist isn't necessarily someone who has a formal education. They are individuals who are open-minded and have had experience with spiritual beings and paranormal activity. The term is also used for people who believe in spirits but do not ascribe to one religion or another.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
It is really amazing how people when they experience things all of a sudden run onto spiritualist. I have never known of a spiritualist in the town that I grew up in and I knew of everything going on around there. It was pretty small. I now live in a small town again, where there are few secrets. I have yet to hear of a spiritualist around here. And I'm still unclear as to what type of education or educational experience you must attain in order to get your spiritualist card. I have heard most of my life that animals can sense things, and it seems that cats are the most mentioned. Has anyone in your household had any similar experiences?
PoppyXred (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
hi, this is a strange experiense. (your poor cat) I hope that this never happends to you again. From poppy (poor kitty cat)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: