You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sound Of A Voice

Real Ghost Stories

Sound Of A Voice

 

My husband is not one to be "spooked" as he calls it. I have never actually seen a ghost but that is not to say I haven't had a couple of experiences that were unexplainable.

Several nights ago my husband and I went fishing at night, my husband hoping to catch a few catfish. We went to a place that is known as "down on the river" by all the locals. Most of this river is posted land and there are not many places to fish along this riverbank. There is a public boat dock where fishing is allowed. This is where we decided to fish. We had a lantern so we had light. I felt a little skittish being there to begin with, as this river is along a narrow gravel road with very few houses along the way. Twenty some years ago it was known as a party road as there are several wide spots along the road where young people would go, pull over and listen to music, drink a beer or two, just hang out. I was a lot younger than I am now and yes, I participated in this with friends a couple of times myself. I laugh about it now, and told my husband of these escapades when we went on this road the first couple of times. Just to let you know, I only did this back in my younger days, very few times. I don't drink, or hang out; I have a daughter who is older now than I was at the time I went there. Anyway, while we were fishing, I heard a faint voice to my right and a little behind me. I asked my husband if he heard it and he said "no, what is it? ". I told him it sounded like a woman talking. I just sort of shrugged it off, thinking it was because of where I was, the fact that it was dark and that maybe I had seen too many scary movies. I think sometimes I freak myself out a little bit anyway.

About twenty five minutes later (this happened around 11:20 to 11:35) I heard what sounded like a woman's voice. This time the sound came from across the river right in front of us. It is so hard to explain what it sounded like; I can only say that it sounded like a woman talking, as if to someone else, in a long, drawn out garbled sentence that I couldn't understand. It made the hair on my arms and neck stand up. This time I looked at my husband and he was looking at me with wide eyes. He asked me if I heard that. When I told him I had, he said he did too, and it didn't sound human, but that it did indeed sound like a woman. He kept looking around to the left, right, and across the river as far as he could see, which wasn't far because it was dark. After five minutes or so we discussed the sound and how weird it was. He was really bothered by it. He finally said that he didn't know about me, but he was ready to just pack up our chairs and poles and get out of there. I agreed, so we did. After getting in the car and driving away from there, we also talked about how the land was right across the river. The hill goes straight up with nothing but trees. It would be almost impossible to walk around unless you had some kind of rope or belt to keep you tied to trees to prevent you from just toppling into the river.

So, what was this voice? And what did it mean? Or is it just possible that we were both just a little out of sorts with where we were and the time of night. We both are now laughing at ourselves at how we just up and left, but at the same time we have agreed that we are not going back there to fish again after dark.

Other hauntings by butterfly66

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, butterfly66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

butterfly66 (4 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
Wow, thanks for the comments! It was really creepy, my husband still brings this up and this has been several weeks ago. And thanks for the info on Russalka, I have never heard of that before. The part about coming out of a river at night, climbing a tree and singing a song sent shivers down my spine. Again, wow... I don't think we will be going back there again.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
butterfly: Very interesting account... I agree with Lou, it may have been a poor lost soul, who'd died in the river... The link Moongrim provided is very interesting too...Also, check out stories of La Llorana (I think that's right, somebody help me!) although, she normally only appears to children...

No need to explain about those crazy younger days! 😆...Had a few myself! 😆 ❤
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
It's a fair chance you got a wee bit too close to a Russalka.
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russalka
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Butterfly,
Bodies of water tend to attract paranormal occurrences, especially when the entity died in it... Between the number of drowning deaths that occur in the world, and the potential for lawless behavior because of its remote location, I would have to presume the woman met her end at your fishing spot.

Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: