You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Wailing Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Wailing Ghost

 

This strange situation happened to me in 1980 in Chile. I was living then with my father and his family, my stepmother and her children, and my two younger sisters.

I was then 13 and we were living in a place in Viña del Mar, Chile, called "Chorrillo Alto" and it was a poor sector of the city. My father bought a place at Chorrillo Alto and made a rustic house there with very thin walls. The house could have been better built but he never cared about such things. Having food and a shelter was enough for him. The house was built on a hill, there was no running water and we had several neighbours living around us in the same conditions.

We were five girls sleeping in a big room and on the other side of my wall there was a little track used by everybody who lived near us to come to a bigger road nearby.

One night I woken up by a sound which at first I didn't recognize. Suddenly I was completely awake and could hear clearly a woman crying in the saddest way one could imagine. At first I thought "Sure it must be a poor woman married to a drunken husband and probably being beaten up by him" (there were such families around with alcoholic men who could make exhibition of themselves from time to time). The woman cried a short minute and suddenly her cry started to get very strange, the vocals started to become too long! It didn't sound like anything I'd heard until now in my life. First a normal crying that continue like: ooooAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooo Oh my God! I promise you people that all the hair of my body was standing up. It was the most horrifying wail I have ever heard and I don't think I will never hear again, it was clearly not from this world anyway. I was petrified and didn't dare to go and take a look. So I didn't move an inch and I was cold and sweating completely frightened. I never told anybody of this night.

The years passed and we moved to live in this country we are living in now. One day in 2001 (I was 34 then) my youngest sister came to my house for supper and she told me something that proved that I heard indeed a ghost that night.

She told me that one night in the same house (she was then 7 years old) she awoke in the middle of the night because she heard a woman crying. She felt curious and looked through the window and saw a woman in our backyard. From the distance she seemed to be walking fast but when my sister looked at her feet, she was floating like 50 cm above the ground. She never saw her face but the woman had black long hair and floating gown. While my sister was looking at her, she could hear swings moving; suddenly she forgot about the woman and became very happy and wanted to go out to see the swings. She was half way out of the house in the middle of the night when she remembered that there were no swings where we lived. She stopped and turned inside the house and the sound of swings stopped at once too.

I don't know what it was, who was that woman? I just remember that one day before this happened to me I was walking with some friends up in a hill above the one we lived on and I saw a white cross, the kind of cross that Chileans put on haunted places to keep the spirits and the devil away from the place. Perhaps people, who lived there before, knew about the haunting and tried to warn others by leaving the cross there or perhaps they tried to make a spiritual barricade to keep the spirits away, who knows.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Silene02, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
maybe her husband lived in that house and she died in it and her husband has now moved away that could be why she is crying
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
sounds ridiculously creepy though. I'd look in the direction if I heard something strange but I don't think I'd really want to know what is making such a noise like you describe, I'd rather be under the quilts. ❤
Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
sorry for the typing errors, I tried to change some parts to be better understod but instead I missed some misstakes! I hope you understand any way 😕
Silene02 (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
Hello Butthead:

Thanks for explaining to me about residual haunting. I searched in the web and found a lot of theories about what could trigger such things and yes it sounds like a residual haunting. Probably as you said the sound of the swings could have been a metal object moved by the wind. My father used to have a lot of metal crap outside in the garden since his job was to work with trucks and such things.

I understand if it is difficult for others to make a mental picture of the situation and specially the wailing of that ghost. I can't really explain the sound and how terrific it was, her voice changed from being a normal to suddenly voice change extremely, it sounded almost like... Have you heard a deaf person screaming? Now when I think is almost funny that ghost stories for children, those in cartoons in TV have bed sheet ghosts that wail in a way that reminds me in a way of the sound I heard!

Blue Raven80: thanks for the link. Of course I know about the story of "La LLorona" being Latina as I am I have heard this story before many times and people in my country believes in this, but I have always dismissed this story as legend and I think that "La llorona" even if it was a true ghost story, can't be the only person who died being very sad. Imagine how many poor people in our world commits suicide or are killed while crying rivers of tears?

When I heard this woman at the beginning, her cry was so real to me that I thought that she was a woman who was very sad and I really felt sorry for her... Well that until she started to cry like she did and scared the hell out of me! 😨
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I just read the story. It could be the wailer which was actually a folklore from Mexico which they call the LA LLORONA. I'm not saying that what you are telling is not true but there are folklores that are indeed true. Like in our country, the story of the tikbalang <half horse half man> is true as per the account of my great grandfather.
You might want to read the link I have here in my post.
God Bless.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
sorry. I just read and think again. Hehe.

You say about the cross, to ward off evil spirits. You mention candles that could have been used for religous purposes...
I have only ever seen candles in one haunted location (one of the most haunted locations around my area for hundreds of miles), the candles that were used in the place I refer to were for a sinister kind. The worship or attempted communication with spirits of who'm any sane person should not willingly want to summon.
You may be right, that it could be evil and had perhaps attempted to attract your sister outside the house. However even if your sister had gone outside, its possible that the thing could not have done anything to harm her.
It does still sound residual too me, however I'm still confused. Argghhhh.
Is it not possible that your sister heard something that could have sounded like swings? Ask her if it was windy that night... Metal that is sorta swinging to the wind can sound like swings I guess, especially from behind closed doors.

I don't know, but I'm glad you don't have to hear that ever again. I can't imagine anyone who would want to

butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
i thought I read in your story that someone had seen swings. Sorry if I misunderstood.

A residual haunting is basicly that of a re-inactment of something that took place long ago, usualy something that repeats itself from time to time. Perhaps it could be described as a a piece of time saved and replayed.

The reason I say this, and I read that someone else has also commented that they think it is residual is because the noise has been heard more than once. Its like a repetation of something that happened once.

You can just type into google 'residual haunting' and read about it. It may make sense seeing as you both heard the exact same thing on different occasions.
If... IF it is a residual haunting then as far as I know these are harmless events. Should you be there again and hear/see this, do not assume it is and sit down with a beer and a ciggarrette to watch it, I mean... Don't take my word for it. Put safety first at all times.
But I feel strongly that it is exactly just that, residual. It does not make it any less fascinating mind.

It is a chilling story, and last night I could not understand the noise in the words you wrote. However, now that I try to say the wailing as you spell it ooooooAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaooooooo... With a deep voice. I can't totally imagine what it must have sounded like, and like you I wonder if I would have looked out the window either.

You have definately left me thinking
Now that I have re looked at your story, I apologize. I was up late commenting on other stories last night, and I read now that you say your sister heard swings and this made her want to go and play with those.

My first instinct (Before finishing reading your story) was that could it be the wind that made this awful noise, and it could also account for the noise which sounded like swings (wind moving something metal that makes a noise when it moves around), but after reading that you say you or your sister saw a woman with no feet... I safely disregard that thought:)

Silene02 (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-08)
Lanafairy81: I understand that it gives you the chills, in my case when I remember every detail of that night and how the crying of this woman turned from being a normal crying into a distorted and horrific sound of a human voice it still gives me the chills and I feel afraid even today.

Butthead: What is a residual haunting? I didn't hear any swings although my little sister heard them and it feel like the woman tried to tempt my sister to go outside the house, which I'm happy that she didn't.

Darkness: I didn't know and still I don't know the story of the place in which my father put the house but one thing is sure, There were no houses there before! So the sounds of swings don't match with the place.

The only thing I'm sure about is that me and some friends were walking on the hills nearby and found the white cross. At the feet of the cross we found burn stones and rest of used candles, it seemed like someone was burning candles offered to the spirits (Catholics use to pray and light candles offered for the peace of the haunting souls).

People in Chile make marks when a place is hunted or when somebody died there before their time, or in an accident. But if the cross is up in a hill this often shows that people have had paranormal encounters there of evil kind and want to keep the evil spirits away from the place.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-07)
Very interesting Silene02: It would be great to find out the exact history of the land. Sounds like residual events are still happening there and to hear that wailing sound would have been rather frightning I bet. Did any one else in you family experience this or anything else besides your younger sister? Keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-07)
does sound scary.
Sounds like a residual haunting to me, especially as you both have heard the same thing. The swings as you say would probably have been there at the time the woman was there, perhaps she had lost her husband during her life or she had lost her child and was looking for the child in the play area (which would include swings), and when she passed she was still looking for one of them.

Something along those lines is my guess anyway. ❤
Lanafairy81 (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-07)
This story gave me chills and even blurred my vision for a moment.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: