You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Witch House

Real Ghost Stories

Witch House

 

Back in 1994 I was working on a Seismograph crew in North central Texas about 30 miles NE of Midland, TX. The job would take us walking miles off road along the country side, laying out cables and equipment. One day doing this we came across an abandoned farm house, out in the middle of nowhere. The house was a one story stucco, with a long front porch and the windows gone. The house had several oak trees around it. In the oak trees hung small dried animal carcasses of reptiles and rodents that are found in the area. But the strangest thing were the paintings that covered the house. The paintings were a graffiti of strange symbols and writings that I did not recognize or understand and never seen before.

Even though we can see it's hollow indoors, none of us would dare go in. One of the workers had a camera and took a picture of the house. Shortly after that I had left Texas and didn't see any of those workers for a couple of years and never realy thought of that house. Two years later I was working in Gillette, WY, when I met the worker that had taken the picture. After work I went to visit him in his motel room. He took a bunch of pictures out of the work we did in Texas. At one point of going through the pictures, he asked if I remembered the old witch house I came across. I told him I did and he pulled it out and showed it to me. I couldn't believe or understand what I saw. The house and trees were in the picture, but the strange paintings that covered the house were not there. All I saw was an old tan stucco house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Drakester, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

xParanormancyx (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-02)
Maybe the house was the location of strong cult magic or a local witch coven. There's a tale about how if you take a picture of a witch or her location, signs of witchcraft will vanish from the picture, as will the witch. It'd been even more interesting if you HAD gone inside the house, but it would have been extremely dangerous. Only a real daredevil would dare go inside a coven-looking home. Thank you for the exciting post!
~Victoria
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
I know what its like to not want to step anywhere near a place. In my neighborhood, there is an empty culdesac towards the back of the neighborhood, and for some reason, I get this horrible feeling when I get near it, and I'll refuse to walk down it. I don't know if something happened there, but I want nothing to do with that road.

Anyway, your story was very interesting and certainly creepy. I would have loved to see the pictures, as they sound pretty neat as well. 😊 ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Yeah, that does sound a bit freaky. Especially for the fact that none of you wanted to go near it. There's a house in my neighborhood that is very strange in that same way, no one wants to go near it either. Even stranger than that is most of my neighbors, me included, often forget it's even there. I've lived in my home for nearly 20 years and in all that time no one has ever occupied that house. It's a mystery, really. 😕
50ftqueen (5 stories) (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
maybe they were symbols of brujeria or palo mayombe? Or another local religion or belief system.
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
can you be sure that the pictures taken were the same pictures taken at the time when there was paintings etc?

If you are sure that they are indeed the same pictures taken of the same time, and not that perhaps of even a week later (where someone could have washed these markings off, perhaps the owner) then I cannot for the life of me give any guess as to why that occured.

Does sound like someone has either branded the place with symbols - knowing or believing that it has some kind of dark type attachment to it, or that perhaps someone (s) had been using it for worshipping/summoning etc and such symbols and art work was required in order to contact/summon whatever they might be trying to contact.

Would be interesting to know what kind of symbols, as to understand a little better.

You said that the workers were afraid to go near it, I'd assume that they were painted over the house as some kind of warning by someone who know's what went on there, as I think a group of workers if together would be a lil less afraid to go near it - without at least some of them knowing or hearing rumours about what went on there.

Being so far out of the way it would be an ideal place to practice withcraft etc, indeed.

Very interesting, really would love to see the pictures, even if was just to see the house - regardless of the symbols. Try google earth, you never know;)

Thanks for sharing
Drakester (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
The Graffitti looked like latino art with a dark theme of strange symbols. And the writings on the side looked something like at the end of the blair witch when they enter the house and there is strange writings on the wall. We had a couple of Mexican workers with us that were afraid to go near the house.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
Definitely unusual. I don't suppose that you could try and reproduce some of those marks that weren't there in the picture?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else may recognize them. And with a map, do you think you could give an idea of where this house was a bit more precisely?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: