You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Shadow Car

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Car

 

As I've mentioned before, the area to the south and west of Lorain has had a long history of unusual occurrences; our campgrounds are in this area. This story takes place near to an area known as Gore Orphanage.

If you Google "Gore Orphanage", you'll get a number of listings about a legend of a fire at an orphanage, and phantom children. There WAS an orphanage there, and a fire, but the place was unoccupied at the time...indeed, the site where everyone goes to experience the haunting is not where the orphanage was.

The true tale of Gore Orphanage can be found at Google, and is another story for another time. The area itself, however, has its own history, and eerie record.

The year is 1981. I'm out cruising with a friend, Walt, and his girlfriend, Shelly. We decide to visit the Gore Orphanage site, as Shelly's never been there, nor had I ever been there at night.

There's not much to see, once we arrive- the foundations of an old house, out in the middle of nowhere, with a two-lane road going past. We're sitting there in the car, looking around, when Shelly says she's getting creeped out by the place, and wants to leave. Walt fires up the Mustang II, and off we go, headed north, to catch Route 6, then east back to Lorain.

Suddenly, there's a car behind us, literally from out of nowhere; it didn't turn in behind us at a crossroad, but was just there. It was a large, old-fashioned car, like a gangster car from the thirties, a black silhouette with blazing headlights-even as it passed under streetlights, this was all that was visible.

The car kept about a car-length distance between us... If we slowed down, it did so, or sped up along with us.

Looking over his shoulder at me, Walt said, "Man, this thing's startin' to get to me.

What we're going to do is this-I'm going to pull in at the next driveway where there's lights on...I'll jump out, and knock on the door. The car might just keep going... If not, we'll ask them if we can call the cops." Considering that we had weed and beer in the car, this should tell you how freaked out we were.

Sure enough, there was a house up ahead with the porch and living room lights on. Walt swung into their driveway, but before he could get out of the car, the shadow car pulled in behind us, smacked the rear of the Mustang II with its front bumper, pulled back out, and headed back south, where it had come from. We, on the other hand, headed north, back toward town.

We continued on for a couple of miles, to a crossroads... Speeding towards it, through it, from the east, was the shadow car... It may have simply been a trick of the light, but I couldn't see anyone at the wheel.

When we got to a gas station on Route 6, we stopped to check the rear for damage... As hard as we'd been struck, there wasn't a scratch.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-28)
We weren't the only ones to experience this car; we were quite jittery afterwards.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
Reminds me of an Indian movie (Taarzan) in which a car was haunted by a spirit. But this one was for real... And I was really scared. Can't imagine a haunted car following me without getting all jittery.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Great story.

How scary the car followed you into the drive.

At first I thought you were going to say they lived there.

On many occassions, when a car has been tailing me, I've turned into a random street only to be followed. Turns out the car only followed me as its driver happened to live in that street.

In your case though, it seems to have wanted to scare you.

There are other factors in this. Are you sure it wasn't plain clothed police checking you out?

Thanks for sharing.

Lakota73 😊
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
I've followed a phantom car thinking it was a normal one because I only very vaguely knew where I was. Didn't know anything was up until by following it I came to a curve with a tree near the road. I almost hit the tree because the car hadn't followed the curve at all. If it were a normal car, it would have been a huge wreck there, instead there was nothing.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
I have seen a few phantom cars appear and disappear, but nothing exciting like your experience was! My experiences were also in the daytime. I absolutely loved this story, thank you for sharing!
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
I take no offense at any comments; indeed, the commentary is what keeps things interesting.

It should be noted that the general area around Gore Orphanage has as reputation for weirdness that dates back to before the white man.
Little_dandelion (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
[at DeviousAngel]
Thank you for not jumping down my throat! I appreciate it when someone can disagree with me without insulting or degrading. Me and all my friends smoke and we've never hallucinated, nausea and blurred vision -YES but never hallucinated. I'm not saying it can't happen though. Again thank you for disagreeing civally 😊

This comment from Little_dandelion is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
-1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
alanandhopewell - I owe you an apology for losing it on your story. I try to retain my dignity and composure, but sometimes I react quickly to a comment and forget to step away from the computer. This was one of those times.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
alandhopewell: I completely understand where you are coming from, and I am not going to put my foot down and say this experience was not real. My point is simply that consuming drugs and alcohol together, regardless of the potency of the individual drugs, can cause hallucinations which SEEM to be extremely real. However, as you have already stated, there were people present who were of sound and sober mind that witnessed the same thing that you did. My explanation was directed at the commenter, not at you, so please do not take offense to my reiteration.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Indeed, marijuana CAN cause hallucinations, depending on the potency of the drug, the user, and other factors.

I've experienced hallucinations, not due to weed, but from other euphoriants noted for such, i.e. Mescaline and LSD. However, as I stated before, one can tell the difference between a hallucination and reality. Also, most of the time when I and my crowd got high, it was simply for relaxation, much like cocktail hour; getting wasted wasn't our goal.

To reinterate- we all saw something real that night. I've explained what I think it was, the same explanation I've always given. FTR, any unusual experience that I've had where I was in doubt of its reality, I would not relate, orally, in print, or electronically-as it states on the homepage, why waste people's time with juvenile nonsense?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Devious - we don't crucify our friends for smoking **cough, cough, granny!** At least, not yet 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Miracles/bacchaegirl: That makes one of us, ladies. I am not a regular smoker but when I go to Vegas, well...it's hard not to. My fiance, brother and stepmom all smoke. I know it's not good and I do not have an excuse, but in my defense I really only buy a pack maybe once every few months and when I have them, I am lucky to have one cig a day. Especially with the prices of smokes out here? That's like forfeitting lunch AND breakfast for a day!
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Haha! Thanks, but I know I never could. I have my degree in theatre performance and I'm a singer. I would never do anything to damage my voice and lungs. But I do admit, I'm a drinker. Well, I used to be. But your liver doesn't directly affect your voice, right? 🤔
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
One last thing, and I promise it involves the point here...

"Mixing alcohol and marijuana may dramatically produce effects greater than either drug on its own."

I could not have worded it any better myself.

Http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/cannabis.htm
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
bacchaegrl - btw, wanted to congratulate you on having never smoked a cigarette! Congratulations! I, too, have never smoked one. Never even lit one for someone else. I know, sounds funny after admitting to having smoked a joint, but it's the truth. I'd like to hear you say the same thing when you are 45, okay? About the cigarette smoking, not the weed 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
bacchaegrl - at least one of us listened to something I said 😆. I'm thinking I should have read it to myself LOL. Typing while angry is a bad, bad thing. It has been proven many, many times 😆 and will be proven again LOL.

Thanks for not yelling at me 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Devious - I think that shoe just might fit today LOL. I seem to be having one of those days. So maybe I should just stay off the site. Nah! Gonna be a fun day today 😆 (Isn't there an evil smiley somewhere with my name on it?)
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Miracles, I think I've gotten in enough trouble since I joined this site, and I've learned my lesson. 😉 But I agree, when someone just claims that something is fact with no evidence to back it up, I really get frusterated. I promise, I am not typing angry. Never again. But those drug comments were too bold to pass up.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Miracles: Hey girl, we all have our days! I think I might be having an off-day myself... Did you and I swap personalities? Normally you are the level-headed one and I'm the keyboard-raging psycho hahaha! Not that I am suggesting that you fit that description, buuuuut... 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Devious - I have to stand up and applaud you 😆. You handled that admirably. This is one of those times I let my temper get the best of me. And here I was preaching about "walk away from the computer when you're angry. Don't type when you're mad." Hmmm... Certainly didn't take that lesson to heart today, did I?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
bacchaegrl - thank you 😐. After the other day, I was trying to do the same thing. Stay away from comments that don't concern me. Talk only about the story, offer my help and keep my mouth shut about comments that don't affect me. I even deleted a comment I was going to make earlier today. But, boy, did this one get me!

I failed miserably, didn't I? And you and I even talked about this, didn't we? LOL So feel free to yell at me. 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Little_dandelion: I respect your opinion but I also have to disagree. Just because weed did not have that affect on YOU does not mean that it does not have that affect PERIOD.

For example, some people experience blurred vision, nausea, nervousness, rapid heartbeat and even paralysis while under the influence of novocaine. However, others are completely unaffected by it. I am one of those people who is immune to novacaine. I absolutely dread going to the dentist (in fact I haven't been to one in years and I am fortunate not to have any issues, knock on wood!) because they cannot safely inject enough of it into my mouth to actually numb me up.

If you need more information, please see here:

Http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_marijuana_cause_hallucinations
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
I've never even smoked a cigarette so I don't know anything about illegal drugs. Hoever, isn't paranoia like, a big drug thing? Isn't that a major sign of doing drugs? Little_dandelion, you sound like a real prince. It's great that you love to brag about drinking and smoking. That makes you super cool. I promised myself I would be good, and stick to the conversation not the poster, but I have to deviate for a moment, because, Little_dandelion, really? You're that proud of your vices? I'm rooting for your brain cells and liver in this one, but I don't think they are going to make it. Um... Good job with the GPA though? I hate to ask, but is that for high school? Sheesh!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Little_dandelion - what were you doing when you wrote this comment? Cause that's a load of b*llsh*t. I'm going to say something here that I'm not proud of and there might be a few surprised people. Then again, maybe not 😆. But just to prove my point at my disgust at your comment, I'm going to share something of my past.

Many years ago I was high. Yeah, I had smoked a joint. I was a passenger in a car. My ex-husband was driving. It was dark and we were traveling down a highway. I swore I saw a head on the side of the road. I started crying because there was a severed head laying on the side of the road. I made him turn around and go back because there was a freaking head laying on the side of the road. He humored me, turned around and went back. It was a plastic jug.

Now, tell me again that weed does not cause hallucinations because you are full of crap.
Little_dandelion (2 stories) (16 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
[At Devious]
I am a heavy smoker and drinker and mixing them together does not cause halluicnations. Weed doesn't cause hallucinations, or hysteria and niether does alcahol. No offense but your friends were either on something havier if they say they saw "big foot" because I get high ALOT and drink ALOT and have never experienced anything even close to that. I manage to keep a 3.5 GPA stoned off my patootie.
[At alanhopewell]
Your a very good writer! 😊 Your story seems very credible and well written. I want to go visit that site now! Have you had any experiences since then?
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-06)
I haven't seen Walt or Shelly in years.
I did venture back to the site itself on a couple occasions, both in the mid-80's. As mentioned, the foundation is still there, and there is a curious phenomenon connected with this, as noted by myself and others... If you step within the boundaries of the foundation, sound is muted, as if the structure was still intact. The site and the immediate area surrounding are generally free of insects and birds, as if they don't like the spot.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
I don't need much convincing on this one... I believe your account, I can't even begin to explain how it is possible... Not a clue?
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
Hello, just want to say I think you are a good writer. I enjoyed your stories.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
alan: I did the Google search and found a very informative site:

Http://www.forgottenoh.com/gore.html

There are a bunch of them!...Thank you for the brain food...I'm going to try to visit the site, if I ever get back home again 😆...I have relatives in Cleveland, so I wouldn't have to go far 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: