You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Big Bump In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

A Big Bump In The Night

 

This happened when I was 16 years old while I was still living in Davao City with my mom. Due to insufficient financial resources, we rented a room in an old boarding house. I wouldn't say that the location was rural because we were living in the city. The boarding house was a walking distance from the first mall in the city and right in front of it was a busy diversion road.

The two-storey boarding house was semi-concrete (cemented first floor and wooden second floor). Our room was in the corner of the second floor where the ceiling made of ply wood usually leaks during rainy season. The house was surrounded by two dark alleys and a neighbor's house at the back.

Anyway, we were about to sleep since I have school the next day. I think it was around 10 PM. I remember I was listening to the sounds of the night (occasional vehicles passing, our neighbor slowly turning in for the night) when suddenly, a loud BANG came from the roof right on top of me. It was so loud that my mom and I sat bolt upright from our shared bed.

It seems like a huge thing or being landed on the rooftop with such force that it shook the old house. We were the only tenants in the boarding house that time. Then the thing started crawling or dragging itself. I could hear it as if it was crawling on all fours slowly, as if trying to be quiet. What scared me the most was that when it moved/crawled, it's as if nails are being slowly dragged on the tin roof.

I looked at my mom and she said it might be a cat. But I know it was not a cat. We've had cats jumping and mating on that rooftop many nights and I tell you, I know that it was not a cat. The thing was HUGE I could hear the tin roof creaking under its weight! Then the thing jumped to our neighbor's roof. The boarding house shuddered again at the sudden change in weight. We heard it jump to another house then silence.

The next morning, my mom heard talks that the thing that landed on our roof was an aswang. It came from a neighboring house, a block away, where a pregnant woman lived.

Other hauntings by thegreenmachine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thegreenmachine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NBA777 (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-24)
Hello the green machine.

I just posted a similar experience like yours today. You'd probably read it next week. Anyway I believe you when you say it was not a cat. Cat noises are all too familiar with us it is unlikely not to recognize them when they happen. Just thank God you're safe.
thegreenmachine (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-30)
Hello Zaruje,

Thanks for reading my story! I don't have any proof that the thing was an aswang or otherwise so any opinion is welcome. Although I would have preferred that it was just a lost "kagwang" (flying lemur in my dialect) than an aswang or a thief because the latter two are more dangerous.

😁
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hello greenmachine. Pinoy here LOL. I kind of understand what you're sharing for I too have experienced it when I was still leaving with my parents in the province.

I also understand the other people who commented that maybe it was a thief because they don't know or they don't have any experience with it. Anyways we're entitled to our own opinion. Thanks for sharing bes!
😊
thegreenmachine (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-20)
Hi Biblio,

I meant flying lemurs, not flying squirrels.

Sorry for the confusion.

=)
thegreenmachine (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-20)
Hi Biblio,

I'm positive that it was not a cat. It was too loud and heavy to be a cat. I'm not sure if we have flying foxes in the philippines but we have flying lemurs and they can be huge too. I've seen one in a cage in Bohol. Thinking about it, it is possible that it might be a flying lemur as they have been mistaken as aswang (I googled it and yep, these shy creatures were mistaken to be aswangs because of their wings and claws) but the area is within the city and rather populated. From what I know, flying squirrels shy away from busy and populated areas.

But thank you! I haven't thought of the possibility that it could be a flying lemur. I sure hope it was just a flying lemur! =D
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-20)
Greetings, thegreenmachine, and welcome to YGS,

The sound was generated by something larger than a cat: I've got 2 cats, so I can understand your judgement of the sound without difficulty ("light thud" = "cat," "heavy thud" = "problem").

As you are posting from the Philippines, have you --or your neighbors-- tried to determine if it was a flying fox? They are quite large, have claws, and crawl along horizontal & sloped surfaces. Just a thought that occurred to me.

However, if this was a MUCH heavier sound (like a person falling downstairs), then I'm in agreement with Azrael and Mack; it may have been a person who had committed a crime and was trying (unsuccessfully!) to avoid attracting attention. There's also the possibility of someone practicing Parkour, and jumping around the city for the adrenaline rush.

If you have taken steps to rule out each of these ideas, and the problem is not repeated, then you don't have much to worry about; it was NOT interested in getting into your apartment, it just wanted to land on your roof. I admit that it is a terrifying thought that *anyone* could be using your roof as a convenient travel route, supernatural or not.

Best,
Biblio.
thegreenmachine (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-19)
Hi AzraelX and Macknorton,

Honestly, I have no idea up to now what it really was. We just heard rumors that it was an aswang. If it was a human jumping on our roof, he/she must be really huge and maybe carrying something sharp thus the metal-scrapping sound. We didn't check the roof though if there was any damage.

By the way, the house and the alleys surrounding it had some unexplained or strange occurrences too which I will share soon.

Thanks!
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-17)
Hello The Green Machine

As Asraelx suggested, I agree that there could be a non-paranormal explanation; such as a human jumping around on the roofs? Either way it would have been unsettling to experience that.

I find your account interesting because it reminded me of an event about 4 years ago in a previous house (which had some very occasional spirit activity) there was one night when I was awoken by an almighty and resounding crash that literally shook the entire house. My wife stayed asleep, and my kids didn't hear it either. It was as if a satellite had landed on the roof, or a car had crashed into the lounge. In my semi-awakened state I vaguely sensed it was "not of this world" type thing, so I went back to sleep.

Next morning I was intrigued by what I experienced so I checked the house and roof for any damage or signs of what may have caused the impact / sound. I found nothing out of place.

Regards

Mack
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-16)
Just because something larger than a cat or dog jumped on the roof the boarding house doesn't mean that it must have to be something supernatural or paranormal.

It could have been a thief/human...

It's human nature to associate something they can't explain with supernatural or paranormal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: