You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Gretel And Moe

Real Ghost Stories

Gretel And Moe

 

I have read many stories on this site where people have said that their departed pets have returned to comfort them.

Eleven years ago both of my cats, Gretel and Moe, were killed by my sister's dog. I was staying with her while I was moving into a new house.

A long time passed during which I was inconsolable.

I felt like it was my fault and I should have never left the house. I kept reliving my sister's words to me.

She said they found Moe with a broken neck under some knocked over boxes in the laundry room floor. Somehow Gretel had climbed her way up an empty wall to a high shelf and was balled up and they thought she was just terrified. They brought her down and blood was coming from her mouth. She died on the way to the vet. They waited until I got there to tell me because they didn't want me to get in a wreck driving home. I'll never forget the word she used. Surreal. She said that the lock on the dog door had been broken in and that the dog in question was sleeping on the floor nearby. Nobody is as protective over your pets as you are.

All hours of the day I would hear cat activity going on around me. I would hear their jingle ball toys even though I had them put up in a drawer. I heard something going at the scratching post sometimes and it was put away in the closet. At least half of the times I would open a door I would feel a little cat rush past my ankles on it's way out the door. All of these things happened in the new house that my cats had never been in.

This went on for long enough that I visited a psychiatrist. It troubled me to the point where I couldn't sleep.

The psychiatrist told me that what I was experiencing was like my mind playing tricks and that when someone is used to certain things happening after specific triggers then their mind can have them relive it. I don't remember his exact wording but be assured that it was infinitely better than mine. He also said that my feeling of guilt plays a role. Then he let me know that I hadn't lost my mind.

All of that sounds good but I worked in a busy pharmacy then and I work in another one now. I experience a tremendous amount of persistent and repetitive events every day. I have bad dreams that I have to explain to people that their insurance won't cover their medication and it costs a million dollars. I don't relive any of that when I'm away from it.

Furthermore, his parting words to me that day were: "Cats only live about fifteen years, anyway."

I laughed out of awkwardness and said that was a little insensitive. He must not be an animal lover.

Later that week I went to a craft store and bought some oven-bake clay, made two cat figurines and painted them exactly how they looked. I even made Gretel slightly overweight and I made Moe look aerodynamic. Then I apologized to them and I put them on my bed's headboard. I felt better.

One thing my sister said to me was that the whole event went down about ten paces from where my infant niece was sleeping in her rocker. Later on that thought returned to me and it occured to me that maybe it's possible that they died in her place. Had they not been the first thing the dog met when it broke in something bad might have happened to my sister's baby. The notion that maybe they saved her life was a help to me.

A long time passed and I no longer believe the dog would have attacked my niece. My cats were new animals in it's territory and it hated cats. Not necessarily small creatures in general.

I do think it was my cats visiting me when I was heartbroken. Wishing to make me feel better and stop beating myself up.

Other hauntings by Lealeigh

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lealeigh, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
I forgot about the clowns on April Fools day. What an awesome surprise. I saw the words "purple pants" somewhere too. ❤

Did you know that when you actually type the new words they turn into more words.

I want to see if they go further - bear with me...

Clown
Circus
Purple Pants
i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
oh that's why, I thought it was 31st of march, my digital clock is wrong,
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
firestar - Today is 1 April. This happens every year on this day. By tomorrow everything will be back to normal.
i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
what's going on? Almost everyones comments say clowns, is the website hacked? Even my bio says it, no I don't mean clowened or purple pants. But the hacker will pay
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Aw, Maine coons are wonderful. So fluffy and lovable. So amazing that he can open doors! Lucy was a Siamese mix, lilac point/tabby, and so beautiful and loving. Thank you so much for your sweet words, Maria, and take good care.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+10
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
VeronicaMarie,

Thank you for reading my story and for your comforting words. The worst pain came from guilt - that just a simple action could have changed everything. It took me a long time to accept that what had happened had nothing to do with me being a bad person - or negligent (which was what I couldn't live with).

In the aftermath of the assassination of JFK, his widow, Jackie, endlessly replayed the event in her mind to the point where she was becoming physically ill. She said that she blamed herself for not recognizing the sound of the first bullet for what it was (forgive me for using this tragedy as an example - many people will probably resent my comparing the Kennedy Assassination to my own past grief; but there it is anyway).

My cat has the same bad habit of going into the dryer for a nap, that Lucy had, and I have had a phobia or paranoia when it comes to that for years. Freya looks cute while sitting in there but it puts me into panic mode.

Cats are unfortunately attracted to all kinds of "caves"; be they dryers, cardboard boxes or whatever.

I named my cat "Freya Viking Goddess" the first moment that I saw how he looked (at little more than a month old) and was told, at that time, that he was a girl. He was so fluffy that I couldn't see that he was a boy. When he was old enough to go to his first vet appointment, I was notified of his correct gender... He was already responding to the name Freya so I left it that way. He's a proud looking Maine Coon Cat, so I think the name fits him. He will be ten years old in May. Maines get really big and he can open doors in the house.

What kind of cat was Lucy?

Rest in Peace, Lucy.

- Maria
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Oh Maria sweetie, I am so so sorry for what you went through. My heart goes out to you. This past November I lost my beloved kitty Lucy, and this one was my fault. I did not know she had climbed into the dryer when I turned it on, and the guilt tortures me so, because I knew she had a habit of climbing into the dryer, but never thought to check. Just sharing this to let you know you are not alone. My gut feeling is that you really did hear what you heard, that it wasn't your mind playing tricks on you, as the psychiatrist said.

I am so glad you have your Freya Viking Goddess. Now *that* is a great cat's name! 😊
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+10
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Hello Kayleh,

It's okay now. I was upset for a long time because I felt that they died because I was neglectful. It took me a while to understand that it wasn't my fault. It happened almost twelve years ago.

I believed that one or both of my cat's spirits were hanging around me until the time when I wasn't a wreck anymore. I stopped hearing the obvious sounds of "cat activity" when I was better. I don't believe that hearing this activity was all in my head.

As for the dog, Roxy, my sister said that the dog was found in the immediate vicinity, in the house, and that it had aggression issues due to the abusive environment that it lived in before my sister rescued her. We're pretty sure it was Roxy. I don't really blame the dog - there is no point.

Thank you for reading my story and for your kind comment.

- Maria
i-have-a-crush-on-firestar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
i am soo soo sorry for this terrible loss, but maybe, just maybe [highly unlikely] it wasn't the dog
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+10
4 years ago (2020-03-27)
Fenrispro,

Don't worry. This experience did not change my opinion of dogs. I love all animals and the feeling that remains from this experience is that I am very sad for "Roxy", the dog who killed my cats.

My sister rescued Roxy and was trying to rehabilitate her with a loving home; but Roxy's past was very troubled. It hurts me to think of what kind of abuse was given to her to make her the way that she was.

Eventually, my sister brought Roxy to her father-in-law and she lived there in peace until she died of natural causes, about two years ago. Her behavior was much different with her being the only animal at the new house.

Thank you for your kind comments!

- Maria
Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-20)
Oh no that must have been devastating! Could something have triggered the dog? I hope u did not hate dogs after this, because it was an accident. Cesar millan would be able to rehab aggressive dogs
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+9
5 years ago (2019-10-08)
Hi terranigma,

It struck my heart when you said: "I can't even afford to kill my cat".

A friend of mine had a cat named "Mouse". He was a "Havana Brown", he said. The same thing you described happening to Mishy also happened to Mouse. It's terribly painful to go through. The veterinarian told my friend that blockage can happen if you frequently change brands of cat food.

I wish my friend had heard of that because it broke his heart. I haven't spoken to him in years because he's something of a drifter.

I always remember what the vet said about the food. I wonder if my cat ever gets tired of the same thing. He doesn't look like it.

I think Mishy stayed by you after he passed until he felt that you were okay.

Thank you for reading my story, Maria ❤
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-10-08)
Awe I am sorry for your loss. When am animal dies it feels like a piece of your heart breaks away and dies... But I take comfort knowing that while they were alive they had the best of care and were well loved and spoiled.

When I had to get my cat Mishy put down because of a blockage in his urinary tract I was inconsolable. I am a tall 6ft 1 man who is built like a brick house and when I was at the vet standing at the front desk the lady asked me how I'd like to pay for my cats euthanasia. I cryed loudly "I can't even afford to kill my cat!" I did not have much money back then but luckily I qualified for a thing called vet pay we have in Australia where they loan you credit for vet bills.

I was happy he was not in pain any more but every night I would cry and just as I would be falling asleep it would feel like a cat jumping on my bed like Mishy did to snuggle up to sleep. He was all black when he was alive and all through the house I would see a black shadow the size of a cat running around the house. Sometimes in my half awake half asleep moments it felt like I was petting him, I could even feel his thick soft fur with my fingers and hand. But as soon as I stopped crying he went away and I've not seen him or felt him again.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+9
5 years ago (2019-09-30)
Hi cobraknights007,
Thank you for the information and for reading my story!
Since then I have adopted a cat who I named:
Freya Viking Goddess

He's a boy but they told me he was a girl. By the time I found out different it was too late. He had fully embraced the name, Freya.

The house where I got him wasn't a good place. The lady of the house said she was going to take all the kittens to the animal shelter. They weren't even quite old enough to be separated from their mother.

So, I took all of the kittens and found homes for them among my family and friends. When I brought Freya home he was jumpy and had a broken tail.

That was nine years ago and these days Freya is a happy and well adjusted little man.

I cannot abide abuse against any animal.

Once again, thank you for reading my story, Maria ❤
cobraknights007 (1 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-29)
Many city and town chapters, of the Animal Rescue League (the A.R.L.), have adoption programs for different kinds of pets. They often cost very little, and are sometimes even free.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+10
5 years ago (2019-09-27)
Cherubim,
I'm good at making things out of clay. I bought the oven bake clay at Hobby Lobby.
The statues are the size of a salt shaker. Throughout all of my moving around, I have always had them. Now they are in the bathroom on the counter.

Thank You for reading my story! - Maria ❤
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
Oh Lealeigh, this is so sad and I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved cats! 😢 I think they were there to cheer you up and remind you nothing really dies. I love how you made little statues of your cats. They know you love them too. That's wonderful that your heart is big enough to adopt a new cat. ❤ Thank you for sharing.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
My pleasure, Lealeigh! I sent you a story of my pet via email. I hope it makes you feel better about the loss of your cats.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+10
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
Hi silverthane61,
Yes, I didn't even try to mention to my doctor that I thought it was their actual spirits who were conducting their usual cat business.

I didn't want to get that look from him. I did consider what he said and I know he meant well.

I felt better after I made the little statues and I felt like I had something to apologize to. Like a focal point.

Two years later I adopted another cat who runs this whole house and it's people. Named Freya Viking Goddess.

Thank You for reading my story, Maria ❤
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
I have a story where my childhood dog appeared to me and saved my life from my being impaled by a falling tree, so yes, I do believe in the phenomena. However, as to your Psychiatrist, I know he meant well, but I am of the opinion that such individuals do not put much stock in the paranormal. My wife still has dreams of her beloved German Shepherd who had passed away. I hope you find peace.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+9
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
Hello Aliceinlamplight,
I think so too. I think they knew I needed that because it was so abrupt and I needed to say goodbye.
Thank you for reading my story. I'm happy that your beloved dalmatian was able to tell you she was feeling well again.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤
Aliceinlamplight (5 posts)
+6
5 years ago (2019-09-26)
I believe that our pets do visit us after they have passed. My husband and I had to bid farewell to our very elderly Dalmatian nearly 7 years ago, as at 17 years of age, she no longer had a good quality of life, losing her ability to walk. It was a very devastating time for us. During the months that followed her passing, at different times, one or the other of us would hear the very distinctive sound of her claws tapping on our timber floors as if she were walking around. This was a sound that was very familiar in our household while she was still alive and in better health. I believe it was her paying us a visit from time to time and letting us know that she was able to walk again now. Perhaps your cats were sharing a similar message with you - shooting past your legs to let you know they are now both okay. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: