You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Haunted Clock

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Clock

 

I once lived in a house where there was a big, old station clock on the wall in the kitchen. The house was rather eerie, but I will talk about the house ghost in another story.

There was always a strange feeling in the kitchen; it seemed to emanate from the clock. Underneath the clock was a kitchen surface and the kitchen was about 4 metres in length from the clock to the opposite wall. The clock had been there for years and was fastened onto the wall.

One night at around 4am, my mum and I heard a big crash in the kitchen. My mum didn't investigate right away because all went silent afterwards.

In the morning I came downstairs for breakfast and my mum was sweeping shattered glass from the kitchen carpet. The clock was lying facedown in the middle of the floor. I didn't truly understand what happened until I was about 14 years old.

Had the clock simply fallen from the wall, it would have landed on the kitchen surface, or fallen onto the floor near the surface. However, the position of the clock would suggest it had been thrown. It had travelled 2 metres from its previous position into the centre of the kitchen. The very loud crash it made also made it apparent it had been thrown with some force.

What was notable about this experience was that, after the clock face had been smashed from the force, the eerie feeling in the room vanished after five years of fearing something that could not be seen. I thought that there could have been a demon trapped in the clock.

Strangely, my mum also didn't like that clock because it was strangely sinister- like something was watching us.

That was one of the first paranormal events to affect me and they got stranger as I became older. I will collect the notes I had taken of these events and write about them soon.

Other hauntings by Hopkirk90

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hopkirk90, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-13)
True, I investigate things a lot nowadays.

If I heard something like that now, I would investigate too. 😉

That's if it woke me up (a rare occurrence for me) 😊.
freakb345 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-12)
wow that must be ruff if I heard a crash like that I would investegate right away
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
Or...
Maybe the COUNTER balance of the spices shifting on the shelf AS the shelf fell...
Just thinking in type, sorry.
That is very interesting, though. I would have driven my Mother nuts knocking things off the wall "just to see" 😊.
Thank you for your response!
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
Very true. I often consider the logical side before the spiritual because I'm rationalist.
I did not know much about my dad's personality when I was younger, I didn't know he had put the clock there until we moved out when I was twelve. I just felt very negative, threatening vibes from it even when I never really knew my father and wasn't told much about him until my early teens.
We used to have a spice rack on the wall nearby, it fell down once and landed on the microwave underneath. It was quite heavy (with jars on it), but maybe that didn't fall onto the floor because it had landed on a metal object.
This is my first of a few stories to come, it is also the most vague since I was very young at the time and it involved the actions of a to-be absent parent. The next shouldn't be so vague. 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-01)
I SOOOO want to make a comment but I can not tell WHO it was that was into the dark arts! 😆
There are times in which an object that has a certain meaning to someone (not necessarily a "special", "sentimental" or the like, but CERTAIN) can give someone (s) ELSE a bad feeling, and the only reason is because it meant something to the FIRST person.
If the first person was dabbling in the arts and the rest of the family was a bit uneasy about that, the feeling COULD linger in an item that THEY brought into the home. ONLY because it was "seen" as theirs.
My Parents house has me on edge each and every time I stay there. I grew up in the home, I know all the sounds and the hidden corners, but I can still IMAGINE that something is present when it is not. The reason being is simply a residual FEEL. Not MEMORIES. Feel.
Items tend to retain a part of... Something, and perhaps that is why so many things seem to have attachments TO them.
Tell me, did you ever do any experimentation to see if anything else that may have hung in the same location COULD "fall" to the floor like this clock did? I ask as I have had heavy wall hangings fall and skip/slide. They did not actually fall where I thought they logically SHOULD have, or in the manner that they should have.
Thank you.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-01)
Wow! Great story! I can't wait to read more. I think putting all of your stories together would work. If you read some of the stories on this website that's what they do. Good luck! ❤
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-01)
Hobbyholly - We did not put anything in its place when it broke. I couldn't ask my dad where he got it because I was one year old when he left. My mum thinks he just found it somewhere but I don't think we'll ever know.
Angelfeathers- I had to ask my mum about the eerieness, since I can't remember when my dad first brought it back to the house. She said that she never liked the clock and, yes, the eerieness was always there (before he left).
I hope to write more, but I'm having browser trouble and I can't find my notes. I don't know how to write most of them, since they are too short alone, so I'll probably write them as a collection in one published work (don't know if it will be accepted though) 😕.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
Hopkirk90, thanks for the story. A question for you, if you don't mind: Did the clock give you an eerie feeling BEFORE your father left? Or did the eerie feeling begin AFTER your father left? (Sorry about your dad leaving, by the way. That hurts. I know.)

Looking forward to your other stories! Cheers!
A.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
Were you able to ask your father where he got the clock? Did you ever put anything in its place after it broke?
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
Tonith- my mother never took it down herself because it was heavy and rather large. She can't lift heavy items. I think it was my father who put it there in the first place, but he had since left us. He was into dark arts, so he may have found something with bad vibes.
Nowadays, if I have something that has bad vibes I hide it somewhere if it is of any value (it stops the bad luck and fear without having to throw it out). An example is of a Wadjet picture I drew when I was very artistically inclined (one of two), it always gave me bad luck when I displayed it, but I have no idea why.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
mmm same I once had a blue eyedblonde porcelen doll that I swear would watch me and I got horrible vibes from it. I asked my mum to get ris of it as I know longer wanted it at it was wating my space. As soon as I got rid of it that feeling was gone.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
I have known of spirits changing the time on clocks and spirits attached to a piece of furniture so guess it's quite possible something was attached to this clock. Why your mother never took it down on her own is my question. If I got a bad vibe from any item in my house it would be GONE.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: