You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Haunted Mantel Clock

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Mantel Clock

 

This didn't happen to me, but to my late husband, John, back when he was 16 years old. In 1962 his Mother, Mary, was recently widowed for a couple years when she remarried Tom. They moved into a house in Eastlake, Ohio. Your average, normal-sized house with 3 bedrooms. Of course, Mary had a lot of personal possessions from her late husband, Chuck. One of them being a beautiful solid oak mantel clock from the Black Forest in Germany.

He treasured that clock and took immaculate care of it. Making sure to always keep it wound up to chime on the hour. When he became very ill and knew he didn't have long, he told her that after he went that he wanted her to keep that clock wound. Never let it run down because if she did, he hoped he would come back to haunt them.

Well, they set up housekeeping in their new residence. John was 16, and his sister, Beth, was 12. For a while Mary, or John would wind the clock. However, they were still arranging everything in the house as well as getting new items. Such as some new furniture. On top of that John and Beth were going to new schools, making new friends, etc., etc...

Not quite one year into settling into the new house they neglected to wind the clock. This clock was very Bavarian in appearance with ornate scrolled wood-work all around the face with flowers & birds on either side. Under the clock face was the area where the pendulum swung back and forth. The pendulum had a maple leaf on the bottom of it.

During one day while they having dinner and conversation the clock began chiming. It 'wasn't' wound. This perplexed them, but they just brushed it off as a fluke. However, the clock kept chiming on the hour.

Determined to figure this mystery out John and Tom began inspecting it to see if there was something mechanical, they may have overlooked. They couldn't find any mechanical cause to account for it. However, they still did not wind it since the key got misplaced from moving in and they couldn't locate it. They still had some boxes that were packed because they had to figure out where to put certain items.

The clock remained silent the rest of the day. It began chiming around 2 in the morning much to their dismay and confusion. They stuck it in the linen closet in a box thinking that would resolve the issue. However, the clock began chiming every hour on the hour.

Mary was beginning to get quite upset with it. She started to think it was haunted by her late husband, Chuck. He said he would haunt them if they didn't keep it wound. John poo-pooed 'that' idea. He didn't think an 'item' could be haunted. To make sure it wouldn't chime anymore he removed the pendulum and put it back in the box at the back of the linen closet. Problem solved. Or so he thought. The clock began chiming a couple hours later. They couldn't believe it. John pulled the clock out of the box in the closet only to observe that even though the pendulum was removed that the little arm that the pendulum was mounted was ticking back and forth-tick, tick, tick, tick. He showed it to everyone.

By this time Mary was in tears. She just couldn't stand it anymore. The clock began to depress her as it reminded her of Chuck. Also, the fact that it appeared to 'really' be haunted unnerved everyone. The decision was made to sell it. Within a week, or so the clock was sold to someone and taken out of the house.

John and Mary told me that they always wondered if the clock continued its unusual behavior after it was removed from them and the house. Or did Chuck go along with it. He, Mary, Beth and Tom did believe that the clock 'was' haunted. They didn't hear anything about it after that and didn't really want to know. Some things are better left alone in the long run.

Other hauntings by Linjahaha

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Linjahaha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+4
8 months ago (2023-09-04)
Certain items can be haunted, depending on the attachment the person had towards it when they were alive.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (130 posts)
+4
8 months ago (2023-09-02)
Lost Voyage: I agree completely! I have seen on paranormal T.V. Shows where an 'item' was haunted or imbued with the energies of its former owner.
After all, 'we' are just energy encased in this shell we call the body. That energy just goes on to another plane.
Rather like a residual haunting. Not unlike the fields of Gettysburg where so much trauma & bloodshed took place. Many people that have been there have reported hearing bugle horns or seeing soldiers fighting. It's the spent energies of those who fought & died out there. Many before their time. Most of those who fought were so young. They never had the chance to fulfill their plans for their lives. That energy remains & just plays over & over again to those sensitive enough to perceive it.
I really liked the 'House on North Street'-both parts. I hope you submit more accounts that you've had soon!

Thank you for reading!- 😁 😁
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (243 posts)
+4
8 months ago (2023-09-02)
Hello Linjahaha, what a fascinating experience!

I have read of similar accounts of other clocks and even watches having such bizarre behavior, in all cases, it was owned by someone who was rather attached to the item.

When someone attaches to an object or item or house, they leave an energy signature, a part of themselves if you will. It's why people can 'read' objects by holding them and give you a pretty detailed account of it's former owner among other things.

I mention this because, it's possible that it wasn't Chuck actually haunting the clock but something about the energy he left behind imbued within the clock. If you think about it, he was fairly articulate about making sure the clock was running smoothly and keeping proper time. That was the energy he imparted to the clock and remained with it after his passing. Energy isn't bound by time and space. (The light we see from stars light years away actually was generated long before we see it, kind of like looking back through time) So when the clock wasn't cared for in the same manner as the energy connected to it, the energy sort of took over so to speak to bring balance back to the clock being wound and running accurately.

This part of a person being left behind is like the residual hauntings we hear about, where some sort of activity is replayed, it cannot be interacted with because it's not actually the people involved or their spirit, it's a part of themselves, the aforementioned energy signature. The same goes with smelling coffee or cigars or anything that someone who's passed was fond of in life. The smell is a part of that energy left behind, not a 'real' thing if you will. (This isn't always the case either, sometimes a loved one will produce that smell so whomever they're visiting will know it's them, it's more like a memory)

In either case I'm sure a clock that seems to have developed a mind of it's own was rather unnerving, so I certainly understand their decision to sell it. At least they didn't outright throw it out. It is too bad though, it sounds like a beautiful piece, something that could have been handed down from one generation to the next. It's hard to find quality craftsmanship out of anything produced today like that!

Thanks for sharing!
Linjahaha (24 stories) (130 posts)
+3
8 months ago (2023-09-02)
Thank you, Kent- I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I guess it was really driving them a little crazy to have it chiming when it wasn't wound, & John even removed the pendulum.
I have another story that I hope they post relatively soon about an out-of-body experience I think you may enjoy!

Best regards- 😊 😊
KenS80 (1 stories) (41 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-09-02)
This sounds like a marvellous crafted clock Linjahaha.

I would not have parted with it but perhaps put it somewhere out of the way.

Clocks can be valuable, mainly grandfather clocks, especially if handed down generation after generation.

I enjoyed your tale of the haunted clock.

Cheers,
Kent
(⁠◍⁠*⁠ᴗ⁠*⁠◍⁠)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: