You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Shadow In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

A Shadow In The Dark

 

I used to live in a duplex apartment at this old school building with my dad and older sister, that was very old and I heard was haunted. It used to be a children's hospital for children that had polio. I heard that many children have died there. I don't know if that automatically means it's haunted, but I have some experiences.

My dad had a night shift job and my sister and I were left alone in the apartment five nights out of the week. One time my friend and I were downstairs watching TV or something and my sister came running down the steps telling us she was freaked out because she felt something touch her hand. She was the only person in the room when she was upstairs. My sister and I often heard noises in our apartment. One day before school, it looked like there was something in the ceiling tiles moving across them. I know now that it could have easily been rats or bats. That's all I can really remember that was out of the ordinary except for the next part which was very out of the ordinary.

One night my sister was already in bed; we shared a room because it was huge. We had a bathroom downstairs and I usually left the door open because my dad wasn't there and sometimes I would just go there to think. As I was sitting there I wasn't looking straight at the kitchen but my eyes were sort of focused in that direction. I seen this black shadow just appear and wave past from my kitchen to my living room. I didn't really think anything of it, but at the same time I was a bit freaked out. I don't remember what I did after that, probably was afraid to go into the living room. That was all my experiences at that apartment.

After my 8th grade school year, we had to move because the landlord was selling the building and all tenants had to move out. My sister moved with my dad to a nearby small town, and my mom and I moved across the city into an apartment. Shortly after we moved I had another experience with a black shadow.

One night I was laying on my back, in the dark, and I was alone in my room, and it felt like something was choking me for a few seconds. I had my fan in my window so I thought it was my friend that used to visit me at strange hours, so I looked back to see if my fan was still in the window, and it was, and my friend wasn't there. Once I looked straight ahead I saw this black shadow, looked like it was sitting at the edge of my bed, next to me, and stood up and moved towards my bedroom door. Once it got at my door it disappeared. I was so freaked out I didn't even tell anyone about it until years passed by. I was in this group therapy for something and I told the counselor and all the people that were there and they just looked at me like I was an alien. Then the counselor said it was a hallucination.

I told a friend, he told me it was Shadow People. I felt kind of relieved after finding information that it wasn't a hallucination and I always believed in ghosts, just haven't ever seen one before. My friend also said that Shadow People is something that people can send after other people. I didn't believe that though. He said that someone could have sent a Shadow Person after me to harm me. Kind of weird. What I don't know are black shadows necessarily bad spirits or can they harm you? I know poltergeists can harm you in some situations and for no reason at all. Why do you think it felt like I was being choked and then directly after that I seen a black shadow? If anyone could respond back telling me your input it would be greatly appreciated, or if you had or know anyone that has had experiences I would love to hear about them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PurPleSkieS23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

HidingFromTheShadow (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
ive seen a shadow person it follows me sometimes it in plain sight but only after tenpm and if I'm outside. I feel like it follows me. But I have never felt as if it wanted to harm me. What does it looke like exactly? Mine looks like a solid black shadow.
PurPleSkieS23 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
shy_ane - Forgot to put, what do you think it would be trying to warn me about?
PurPleSkieS23 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
angelsiebert97 - I guess I'm not really use to the shadow I've seen cause I've only seen it twice. But my thing is I've seen it at two different places. If it was the same one.
Shy_ane - I haven't encountered it since that day in my room laying down. My mom and I would like to move soon and I'm wondering if its going to follow me and if I'll see it again. Do you think I'm its master now? Well there's only one problem with being blessed. I don't really go to church. Vulnerable like if I got blessed it would go away?
angelsiebert97 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
When my husband was young he lived in this house and always seen this tall shadowperson with a tophat on... It freaked him out at first but he got used to it... It never harmed him or stood where he could gaze at it... He always caught it out of the corner of his eye... He has never seen it since he moved out of that house... Only that house...
shy_ane (1 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-10-08)
well typically shadow people are sent to harm but most of the time itz a female shadow person that does the most damage to people (physically) and itz often rare for male shadows to harm someone... It may be awarning sign as regarding the future but most of the time shadow people are not capable of atttacking on their own so they need a master or puppeteer. In your case since you seen one at a young age, my theory is that the people who had lived there b4 you may have had it sent to them but left it behind. And you have acknowledged it so itz staying with you. My quesion is: do you still encounter it today? But a simple solution is to get blessed by a priest of your religion/belief. And fact:shadow people are vunerable to a higher power (aka god, creator, etc)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: